Positive ground system?? Don’t want the pain it comes with…

Go to solution Solved by TodFitch,

A lot of folks switch to 12V negative ground to use aftermarket accessories and get brighter lights. But a 6V positive ground system in good condition works just fine. 

• Like 1

• Solution

For a modern radio just get a 6v+ to 12v- converter designed to allow you to install a sound system into an old car. Saves having to convert the whole car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

could be a PITA to anyone not versed in automotive electrical.....but if fact it is not....you did not say if going 12 volt with the projected change either.  I would suggest that you read a few white papers on the subject and get up to speed.  Then if there is anything that is not general in the form of a question for Mopar, can/t think of one at the moment, then come to the forum with a specific.  Now I made my comment it is not at all difficult working the electrical, either polarity, either voltage but to guess at your knowledge and skill level going in, had to make that call for you

• Haha 1

I will throw in my 2 cents on the subject .... Many will say and I will agree that 6V + ground is a good system. And it does exactly what it is suppose to do.

At one time positive ground was the norm for all the big automakers .... except GM. .... There is much discussion about it is a better system then - ground.

GM would never fall in line with the rest though. ....... Their was a great need to standardize electrical systems so everyone was on the same page.

Chebby would never get in line with Ford, Dodge, Packard, Studebaker .... they just bucked the system and walked alone.

Then in 55 chebby came out with the first sbc and they were kings of the market then ..... so all the others switched over to - ground.

Does not mean it is better, is just the way the market went.

Seriously, if you want to switch to - ground .... why not just do it right and switch to a 12v alternator while at it. Thats what I did.

1 hour ago, BayArea48Deluxe said:

So on this positive ground system… is it a pain in the Ass to change to Negative ground system…. If anyone has done it what you need to

swap change? Replace? Thanks 

55 minutes ago, BayArea48Deluxe said:

Radio is my thought…

So.....are you interested 6v but negative ground or converting to 12v negative ground? Your radio comment makes me think you are talking about 12v.

If continuing with 6v all that is necessary is to switch the wires on the ammeter and coil. The starter will work just fine with either polarity.

Converting to 12v is more involved, impacts nearly every system on the car. Your intended use of the car will determine whether or not the conversion is worth the effort.

Yea. It’s radio and wanting to put SLAP in my car and most likely better lights.. but yea it’s the rarer occurrence of the positive ground honestly. Could I do positive ground yea sure why not…. I work with elevators, dumbwaiters, stairlifts, door openers, VPLS, and IPLs all day… so why not just thinking about what is more abundant in terms of brighter lights. Etc etc. 

I guess I'm just ignorant but those three combinations of capital letters mean absolutely nothing to me.

• Haha 1

i kept the 6V pos. Ground System.

Only the light bulbs i changed to LED.

There is warm white available so the appearance is near factory. 

Joe

So the word SLAP is slang for something and I'm guessing it has to do with the personality of the car.  If that personality has a lot of electronics involved converting to 12V negative would be the better choice.  The original generator is only good up to about 40 amps of draw and it, like alternators, shouldn't be run at max output for extended periods of time.  I don't know how many amps can be run through a converter or their max load capacity or what their duty cycle is so they may or may not be a viable option for you.  You'll have to do the math.

I converted my 51 Plymouth to 12v - ground.  Not real hard to do.  Had to rewire it anyway because the PO's mechanic did a real hack job putting in a new aftermarket and universal (fits nothing) wiring harness in it.  He kept it 6v + ground, but used a 12v harness, so all the wires, including the battery cables, were undersized.  Lol

You will have to change all the bulbs there are 12v equivalents for them all.  The starter doesn't care.  My electric wipers needed reducing to keep them from beating themselves to death, lol.  I had to use a 12V starter solenoid, added a 12v coil and a ballast resistor.  Heater blower motor was replaced with a 12v one.

Probably a few other things but my 51 doesn't have a lot of OE electrical stuff. 

Here's what I did for an alternator

http://www.yourolddad.com/12-volt-conversion

Some of the wiring issues

http://www.yourolddad.com/rewire-it

Blower motor change

http://www.yourolddad.com/blower-motor

None of those links are comprehensive, just stuff I ran into.  If you have questions, ask away.

Why I converted?  Because I could, lol.  No seriously, I wanted good headlights, nothing 6v, including LED ones, qualify, imo. I am running GE Nighthawk 12V, 7" round, LED headlights.  Those are good.  I also want a thumping stereo, yet to do.  I also want AC, no 6v option I know of there.

Edited by Sniper
  • Thanks 1

Slap appears to start getting applied to music, specifically, by at least the early 2000s. Now, the origin of slang, especially successful and widespread slang terms like slap, are indeed hard to pin down, but the musical slap is often credited to Bay Area hip-hop slang. (Hyphy, anyone?) It was first entered into Urban Dictionary in 2004.

• Haha 1

I'm feeling a lot smarter this afternoon.......SLAP is a new one for me, too......don't know that I'll be using it in my universe, however...... 

Unless I decide to slap a new set of points in the P15......   😆

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Slap appears to start getting applied to music, specifically, by at least the early 2000s. Now, the origin of slang, especially successful and widespread slang terms like slap, are indeed hard to pin down, but the musical slap is often credited to Bay Area hip-hop slang. (Hyphy, anyone?) It was first entered into Urban Dictionary in 2004.

That would be even more useful if it said what the term meant.

Cause you now, my age you say you're gonna slap me someone's going home to mommy crying, lol.

• Haha 1

Sniper I never said it made sense, not sure if there is any real sense to any of the modern trash you hear these days.....just passing on the urban slang from the dictionary and the area credited for the inability to converse in proper English.   Words like that, and using your definition of slap would make a number of the older generation give cause for some punk kids to be walking around slaphappy....(for punk kids not in the know, slapped so hard you become confused and silly)

That is indeed what slap means. I could have used the alternative word and not caused any confusion.. but yes from where I’m from I use slang by nature. But much obliged for that answer sniper and the rest of you gents… I been busy pulling the head because my motor was a little stuck got it moving now, valves are also good ..  need to either figure out how to clean the interior of them heads from long needed cleaning… before I put on.