55 V8 overdrive, any interchangeability with our flat sixes?

p15-1948

A salvage yard an hour south of me opened two weeks ago (edit:  discovered it has been open since at least last summer) after being closed for many years.  I went down today to look, and maybe pick up a few things for my 49 Plymouth.  Someone bought a really nice DeSoto today, I think it was a 50.  To the question, there was a 55 Plymouth with v8 and overdrive in the yard.  I have no experience with early Plymouth V8's and wondered if the OD would work with the flathead 6's.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by p15-1948

I don't know much about the V8 cars, but the overdrive will most likely be an R10, but may be an R11. My parts catalog doesn't go up to '55. If it is an R10, I would bet it is a direct swap onto a 6 cyl bellhouse. If they are reasonable on price, I would gamble on it!

Make sure you get the cable, relay, kickdown switch, and as much of the original wire harness while you are harvesting it.

• Like 1

50 light years away I installed an R10 to a P18 and used a choke cable for OD. no solenoid. No issues. But I didnt have the Randy Rundle Tech book. If your interested in R10 ODs its a must have. Theres one on Ebay $22

Edited by Booger
spel

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

When did Mopar switch to 12vv?  Might a 55 be a 12v car and the solenoids and what not need 12v?

56 for Plymouth was the first 12 volt

5 hours ago, kencombs said:

According to my old Hollander, all 51-56 Plymouth manual trans interchange as well as 53-55 Dodge.

So that I understand, that includes V8 to L6 on interchangeability?

4 hours ago, Booger said:

50 light years away I installed an R10 to a P18 and used a choke cable for OD. no solenoid. No issues. But I didnt have the Randy Rundle Tech book. If your interested in R10 ODs its a must have. Theres one on Ebay $22

If your referring to his BW overdrive book, it's the first thing I acquired when thinking about going to OD>

The R-10 solenoids both the 6 V. and 12V. are identical in size mounting and easily changed one to the other. The other parts on the trans that involve electrical are not voltage sensitive.  NOTE: I said on the trans.

Used be some of both used solenoids on EBAY for sale.

Also even though Randy has passed on  the company he ran is still in business . So, Rundle may still be selling brand new solenoids both the 6 and the 12.  Expensive but only place I have seen that has them. Do they still sell them?

DJ