Limo project

OnlyMopar
Go to solution Solved by OnlyMopar,

I will be responsible for injuries from extreme laughter brought on by viewing my Limo Project,LolIMG_20240220_123835.jpg.454680e502abd18c8e598d46144f97d2.jpg

IMG_20240220_123844.jpg

IMG_20240220_123900.jpg

IMG_20240220_124000.jpg

Edited by OnlyMopar
Forgot to insert correct word
  • Like 4

Great looking project! The fold down seats are really neat. Looks to be pretty complete from the photos. Have fun. I will be following along with the progress you post.

• Like 1

Very cool indeed, and it is probably a very rare vehicle with not many made or left. Sure is scary though looking at the amount of rust in the body, makes me wonder what the frame/undercarriage looks like?

It is just metal and anything can be repaired if you have the time and energy.

I wonder how much body panels from a 4 door sedan would interchange? I'm guessing none buy I dunno.

Looking on the bright side, just think about what a incredible welder/fabricator you will be upon completion  :)

Looking forward to seeing more of it as you go.

• Like 1

Got to be a rare car now, as for the interchange, I'd think that the front & rear fenders, hood, maybe front doors would swap with a 4dr Dodge......I'd have thought that the actual body shell would/could be the same as the DeSoto/Chrysler Limo......but maybe not........I'm amazed at where the rust out is appearing.......where did it live?.........andyd    

• Like 2

• Solution

Originally from Ohio area. Been in Florida at least past 30 years. Am sure the salted roads early in life didn't help the rust issues. I was thinking and looking at the possible switch out years and models you mentioned would work. A lot of body work needed but the frame though surface rusted ,I think is solid enough to be road worthy. The bulk of the chrome is in good to great shape,except the exterior door handles and trunk lock/handle is pitted. I already have both front and rear doors coming as well as the vent wing windows. Thank goodness the rear glass, ,windshield and rear quarter windows are good.

The Serial Number indicates was built in Detroit

just a few over 3500 built. Sure going to try to do justice to the reststore. The guy I got it from was going to cut it down and use in a rat rod build. LOL, that would have been very close to sinfully in my opinion.

• Like 1

That’s a rare car and it’s not in bad shape. I’ve definitely seen worse. As far as parts interchange I’m guessing you’re going to have to fix what you have. The front door might be the same as the town sedan model but those are fairly rare also. A DeSoto Suburban might be the same. Take things one step at a time. Does it run or does the engine turn freely if not? Get a service manual if you don’t already have one and a parts manual. Both have information on the long wheelbase model. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Yes, the long wheelbase body was common to the Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge, coming out of the Briggs plant in Detroit.  The 18-inch additional length was 9 inches in the front doors and 9 inches in the rear doors.  The front doors were common to the 2-door sedan, but the rear doors were unique. 

Years ago, someone in Iowa, it think it was, had a long wheelbase Dodge, DeSoto Suburban and Chrysler, that he had been going to restore.  The DeSoto had been gutted.  He also had a black Suburban which James Douglas drove home to San Francisco.  

• Like 1

Would they have made special sheet metal just for 3500 cars? I would think that economically speaking, pulling fenders and such "off the line" wouldn't have mattered to those who bought the cars and would have saved the builder a lot of money.

• Like 1

Maybe only 3500 long wheelbase Dodges per year, or was it 3500 for the entire Mopar line?  

Many of the body parts were common to other body styles.  Fenders.  Cowl and windshield. (except convertibles and station wagons).  Trunk lid and stampings, and rear window, common with sedans.  Many other components were common.  Need longer frame, with heavy duty running gear. Add an 18-inch drive shaft between the standard propeller shaft and the transmission.  Longer body required, with floor panels, rocker panels, door and frames, and roof panel.   No big deal, if they can sell enough.   

Long wheelbase sedans were common for taxis, funeral processions, and hauling people to and from hotels, resorts, etc.   

So, if Ma Mopar is getting Briggs bodies for Chrysler and Imperial limos, and DeSoto taxis, why not make some long wheelbase Dodges? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Maybe only 3500 long wheelbase Dodges per year, or was it 3500 for the entire Mopar line?  

Many of the body parts were common to other body styles.  Fenders.  Cowl and windshield. (except convertibles and station wagons).  Trunk lid and stampings, and rear window, common with sedans.  Many other components were common.  Need longer frame, with heavy duty running gear. Add an 18-inch drive shaft between the standard propeller shaft and the transmission.  Longer body required, with floor panels, rocker panels, door and frames, and roof panel.   No big deal, if they can sell enough.   

Long wheelbase sedans were common for taxis, funeral processions, and hauling people to and from hotels, resorts, etc.   

So, if Ma Mopar is getting Briggs bodies for Chrysler and Imperial limos, and DeSoto taxis, why not make some long wheelbase Dodges? 

IMG_20240211_100108.jpg.1d2d6fb70644c591d218a0ed41fe0461.jpgThe Serial Number indicates was built in Detroit

just a few over 3500 built. Sure going to try to do justice to the reststore. The guy I got it from was going to cut it down and use in a rat rod build. LOL, that would have been very close to sinfully in my opinion.

I can attest to the longer wheelbase. She occupied almost all of the trailer used to haul it home. I double checked the serial number and she is one of the 3698, seven passenger models made between 1946 and 1948, made at the Briggs plant. Sure hope I can do her justice in the restoration. Gonna take a lot of " working with what I have"  as another member stated. Not finding a lot of sources for sheet metal parts yet, hopefully will get better.

Wow to westaus29's 1938 stretched Plymouth. 

Briggs made the 7-passenger body for the long wheelbase Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges, which shared the larger body, while Plymouth had its own smaller body. Maybe today it's called a platform. 

I had seen a few pictures of long 1930's Plymouth sedans, and wondered if Plymouth had the same large body back then. But the 1938 Aussie was a cut and stretch job. 

Here in Oz the firewall/cowl was imported but everything from the windscreen back whether a 4dr sedan or long wheelbase 7 passenger sedan would have been made here in Oz by T J Richards, the Adelaide South Australia based company that Chrysler bought and became Chrysler Australia. I have seen a couple of 7 passenger sedans yrs ago in an old wrecking yard south of Sydney, NSW, whilst the yard had had a fire through it in the 1970's these three 1937/38 7 passenger sedans appeared to be ex taxis or holiday coaches...........unfortunately this wrecking yard was cleared out in the early 1980's and all cars crushed.....my oz 1940 Dodge Sales Brochure actually has a 1940 Dodge 7 passenger sedan pictured....its an odd illustration as it shows the car with proper USA Dodge fenders & headlight surrounds but Plymouth rumpers & overiders.......those USA Fenders & headlight surrounds were very rare on the Oz cars & I've only seen 1 car in 50 yrs with them.......andyd img004(13).jpg.7b5766b4d7d6369a424af2f942751a01.jpg 

• Like 1

You know the other day I was driving around in Midland Texas and I saw an F-350. Now you might say an F 350 is fairly common and that would be true except this one had six doors, three on each side and the bed area was integrated into the body turning it into some sort of gigantic SUV looking thing. It was professionally done and looked very nice. If people are willing to spend the money there's always some specially company that will make whatever you want and that sounds like what Briggs did for Chrysler.

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1