Hi, I'm new to the P15-D24 forum

Malu

15 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

It looks to me (from your pictures, and from what you said about the tail light wires having been extended) like someone extended only the bed, w/o changing the wheelbase.  (That would obviously be a much more complicated task.)  I don't really know, but I would have assumed that all 1 ton trucks were either flat beds or stake beds, like a grain truck.  (Back home we also always made a distinction between 1/2 & 3/4 ton PICKUPS and 1 or 1 1/2 ton TRUCKS.  Around here, there are lots of smaller roads that have signs posted "No Thru Trucks".  The guys with Pickups have 'trucks' until they see one of those signs.  Then it's a pickup, thank you.)

Hi Eneto, I too think you could be right. I have already decided to rebuild a stall bed.

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

There is a factory carrier available, may have been a option as not all have them have one ..... My 1991 chebby truck has the same thing.

Thinking you could get a different carrier and adapt it to work.

0106231530a.jpg.66d33148038ca06446f21b38b9fe5f0b.jpg

Yes to different if you ever expect it to be actually used!    A later model with the gears and crank to raise and lower is a huge improvement when by the side of the road, especially if the weather is nasty. 

14 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Yes to different if you ever expect it to be actually used!    A later model with the gears and crank to raise and lower is a huge improvement when by the side of the road, especially if the weather is nasty. 

On my daily driver (exposed to the Salt Devil all winter long) I've thought of building an enclosed top section which would be fastened to the bottom of the floor, then have a lower section that would fit up inside the lip of the upper section, with a gasket of some sort there to seal it as much as possible.  Then also have rollers on the lower section, to help get the heavy tire-wheel out from under the vehicle w/o needing to go under there to grab ahold of it.  Probably would have a hook on it so I could reach under with some sort of tool to help get it out.  (Yeah, I'm getting old at the same time that the tire-wheel combinations are getting bigger and heavier.) Maybe also design some sort of latches, so that the whole deal isn't hanging by just that cable.

Edited by Eneto-55

5 hours ago, Malu said:

Thanks Dodgeed, how was the tire secured?

Question, Why Dodgeed?  Forum handle is ggdad1951...

Anyway, the tire is held up with a carrier that pivots on one long bolt and is ten tightend by the bolt on the left side with a large wing nut (silver bits in the pic).  I know DCM carries these parts see below:

image.png.91a70089c1e2fb8856910aeacda05843.png

42 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

Question, Why Dodgeed?  Forum handle is ggdad1951...

Anyway, the tire is held up with a carrier that pivots on one long bolt and is ten tightend by the bolt on the left side with a large wing nut (silver bits in the pic).  I know DCM carries these parts see below:

image.png.91a70089c1e2fb8856910aeacda05843.png

It's too expensive at $295+Tax+Shipping. Just go to the breakers you can get a spare wheel winch & wire which winds up & down with a long hook from behind, just as modern trucks have, all you will need is a round bracket that the long hook will fit thru.

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

On my daily driver (exposed to the Salt Devil all winter long) I've thought of building an enclosed top section which would be fastened to the bottom of the floor, then have a lower section that would fit up inside the lip of the upper section, with a gasket of some sort there to seal it as much as possible.  Then also have rollers on the lower section, to help get the heavy tire-wheel out from under the vehicle w/o needing to go under there to grab ahold of it.  Probably would have a hook on it so I could reach under with some sort of tool to help get it out.  (Yeah, I'm getting old at the same time that the tire-wheel combinations are getting bigger and heavier.) Maybe also design some sort of latches, so that the whole deal isn't hanging by just that cable.

Hi Eneto, it's a good idea, but if you go to the breakers you can get a spare wheel winch & wire which winds up & down with a long hook from behind, just as modern trucks have, all you will need is a round bracket that the long hook will fit thru.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:49 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

For the most part he has....the build is his...he does a few things differently than the old man...I advise only when asked....and then it is often not what he wants to hear...lol  The only rust that is not just a bit of surface rust in the drivers floor pan, likely I will do that fix before he carries it to his place.  This is just what I saw in my walk around of the vehicle.  Could be more but really not in the outer body...excellent bones as they say.  Poly block 318 with 4 speed floor shift, hydraulic clutch.   Though it looks like a 64, first couple months in 65 was carry over till the new body style came out.  Thanks for the inquiry

I bet he takes the body off the frame and puts it on a modern drive train with all the mod cons.

12 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nice acquisition. Based on the short running boards this would have been a cab/chassis truck from the beginning. So it was likely a flat bed truck all along. 

Yes Merle, I think you are right. I'm going to rebuild the truck with flat bed. Thanks for your input.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:00 AM, Malu said:

Yes Merle, I think you are right. I'm going to rebuild the truck with flat bed. Thanks for your input.

Me too ?

IMG_5549.jpeg.2fdc5e1184bc1c3130451f9a2ec750e1.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...