Windshield Gasket replacement tips

jsd245

So I need to replace the windshield Gasket to stop the leaks I have in the windshield- I got the Rubber from DCM. Any Tips on doing this? Clearly I'm gonna need to wrangle 1 or two people to help. 

Watch a few videos .... I just watched one the other day. Just on installing a one piece windshield ..... since ours is two pieces of glass, you kinda need 2 friends to help.

The gasket is a bit bulky on one side, that is the inside the outside is streamlined for good looks ..... do not install the gasket backwards. <---- common mistake.

We all know we need rope or twine ..... after the gasket is installed on the glass, then put the rope in the channel that sits in the windshield hole of the truck.

Everything needs to be lubricated while installing the windshield rubber. Lots of oils & silicone products out there ...... just keep spraying it down with glass cleaner keep it all lubed up spraying the glass cleaner all through the process .... when finished it is easy cleanup compared to using silicone or oil.

Watching videos you will see how they force the glass/rubber in one direction or the other by slapping it with the palms of their hands. .... Not direct blows with fist.

A trick I learned when installing house tempered glass windows. .... we would take the old tempered glass back to the shop & put it in the dumpster.  Sometimes the glass was bigger then the dumpster.

As a rookie I was made fun of as the other crew members held the glass, told me to use my hammer & break it. I could not break that big 5' x8' picture window hitting it in the middle.

Then the crew leader took my hammer and lightly tapped the glass on the edge .... it shattered into a zillion pieces & fit into the dumpster.

I'm just saying to not use a pry bar on the edge to move the glass a 1/8" .... stay away from the edge ..... use the flat of your hand in the middle to move the glass.

Glass is vulnerable on the edges.

Keep that gasket lubed up & easy to work with, do not work the edges with a tool, use good twine .... nylon or something ..... limit alcoholic beverages to your Friends before the glass is installed.

I have never installed a windshield before .... just stuff you watch others do & pick up tricks.

I use dish soap and length of 12 gauge automotive wire as well as plastic tools if necessary.  Insert the bottom edge first so the weight of the glass helps you, work your way to the corners and around them slowly and evenly side to side.  That will help center the glass.  When installing the metal retainer, do not overtighten.  I've read on here that you can break the glass if you do.

I did mine a bit over a year ago.  Even by myself, it wasn’t too bad.  Agree that a lot of lubrication helped it.  Even after, I found some small seepage in the lower corners where the glass meets the rubber.  Some high flow silicone in the joints took care of that.

jeff - i installed a new gasket in my '48 shortly after i bought the truck in 2007.  did it myself.  i don't remember having too many issues; pretty sure i started at the bottom, and worked around to the top, and from the center out to the sides.  if not obvious, this all happens from the outside, not inside the cab.  i don't believe i used either soapy water or any other spray/lubricant.  hope it goes solid for you.

an alternative might be to visit a windshield place to see if they might install it...

Wally- so are you saying you are pulling the gasket from the inside to the outside of the truck? That's the opposite of what I've done in the past- the windshield is installed from the outside, pulling the gasket (witha string) over the lip form the inside of the truck. 

There's a good chance that you'll still experience leaking after the new seal is installed. I had to add some urethane sealant between the seal the the pinch weld, and also between the seal and the glass to seal it all up. I still have a couple places that will seep water through if I'm caught in a heavy rain, but it's much better now than it was initially. 

6 hours ago, jsd245 said:

Wally- so are you saying you are pulling the gasket from the inside to the outside of the truck? That's the opposite of what I've done in the past- the windshield is installed from the outside, pulling the gasket (witha string) over the lip form the inside of the truck. 

i wish i had notes.  i believe i installed the gasket on the windshields first, then worked the gasket into the frame/pinch weld.  not the way most say to do it, i know.  let me dig around.....

Edited by wallytoo

You know @wallytoo is people like you that make people like me do things.

I want no part of installing my 2 piece windshield .... I figure I will first need to make two friends to help me install it while I work the inside. .... I'm too grumpy of a old man to make 2 friends.

Then someone like @wallytoo comes along and claims ..... is just a job that needed done so I did it .... nothing special was given.

I now have no choice but to dive in & do it myself  ..... shame on you Wally    :P

Took three of us to get the glass in. From the inside. I tried to rope it in, but being 2 piece glass it wasnt working. I had a hook and a fiber stick i used,working from the bottom up. Alternating side to side. Carefully working the rubber out and over the pinch welds. 
and it leaked. Small bead of urethane sealed it somewhat. 

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

Took three of us to get the glass in. From the inside. I tried to rope it in, but being 2 piece glass it wasnt working. I had a hook and a fiber stick i used,working from the bottom up. Alternating side to side. Carefully working the rubber out and over the pinch welds. 
and it leaked. Small bead of urethane sealed it somewhat. 

Yeah I was thinking three people would be best. Thanks. I was assuming I would use sealant rubber to body and glass to rubber to avoid leaks.