Unknown toggle switch

rcl700
Go to solution Solved by Dan Hiebert,

15 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

That wiring looks BAD!

I know ?? I'm going to be asking alot of questions. Iv never rewired a a vehicle and 6v is all new to me too. Looks like a fire waiting to happen at the moment. We're these cars color coded with wiring it seems they are mostly tan cloth color now. What's the best type of wire to use as peices/ links are replaced? 

20230420_165841.jpg

There are companies that sell wire looms for these cars - the guys will chirp in with some names and experiences.  Being cheap, I made my own wire loom.  I bought wire of different colors and gauges from the local hardware/lumber yard.  (Low voltage wire - not rated for higher voltages;  stranded wire, for flexing, vs solid wire.)  For gauges, I matched the existing gauges or went a little thicker. 

Get the wiring diagram for your car.  That will show the colors and what goes where.  

You might want a quick disconnect for the battery cables.  Don't leave the battery connected when you are not working on it, until you have confidence that there are no bare wires lurking.   I have had good luck with the battery disconnects,  They also serve as handy handles when I'm lifting the battery.    (I keep a coating of anti-oxidant on the mating surfaces. ) 

1399487712_cableroute2022-04(2).JPG.dc7e6efb0810bb4f729097a73b59a3f6.JPG

Review Ohm's Law regarding current flow.  6v accessories draw 2x the amps as 12v items.  There for thicker wires than modern cars. Mostly 10 or 12 gauge.

For examples a low beam headlight is rated at 30 watts. A 12v lamp needs apx 3  amps of current, a 6v bulb at 30 watts draws 5 amps.  Throw in some corroded connections and a rusty ground and you are near 12 amps for both lights running.  Modern 16 gauge e can't carry that much current.  So you get dim lights, lots of heat, more resistance, more heat etc.  Be safe when in doubt go thicker gauge.  Lower gauge number, thicker the wire.

Also note the thickness of the battery cables in Mr. Smith's pic.  Those are proper gauge for 6v systems.

Edited by greg g
  • Thanks 1

Re wiring one of these cars isn't as hard as you think.  I used a standard 6 volt wiring harness.  Came complete with a fuse block and set up for turn signals.  Each wire was labeled every 6 inches with what it was for.  "Front left head light low beam"  "back right stop light" etc.  Not original cloth covered wires and it was a one size fits most kit.  That required trimming and lots of soldering.  Tedious but not hard.  My wires looked worse than yours when I started.  Had to convert the front running lights and tail lights to double pig tails for the turn signals.  Use the same fixtures and just switch out the pig tails.  Everything worked the first time I powered it up.  Thanks to the labeling and taking my time and double checking everything.

2 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

There are companies that sell wire looms for these cars - the guys will chirp in with some names and experiences.  Being cheap, I made my own wire loom.  I bought wire of different colors and gauges from the local hardware/lumber yard.  (Low voltage wire - not rated for higher voltages;  stranded wire, for flexing, vs solid wire.)  For gauges, I matched the existing gauges or went a little thicker. 

Get the wiring diagram for your car.  That will show the colors and what goes where.  

You might want a quick disconnect for the battery cables.  Don't leave the battery connected when you are not working on it, until you have confidence that there are no bare wires lurking.   I have had good luck with the battery disconnects,  They also serve as handy handles when I'm lifting the battery.    (I keep a coating of anti-oxidant on the mating surfaces. ) 

1399487712_cableroute2022-04(2).JPG.dc7e6efb0810bb4f729097a73b59a3f6.JPG

I'd appreciate some info on your power steering pump setup.  Plan to use power on my pickup and have the gear,(Toyota 85 or so 4WD).   Been wavering on the pump, either crank driven or Volvo electric.   Mounts and crank pulley for the flathead seems very hard to find

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 7:51 AM, rcl700 said:

I know ?? I'm going to be asking alot of questions. Iv never rewired a a vehicle and 6v is all new to me too. Looks like a fire waiting to happen at the moment. We're these cars color coded with wiring it seems they are mostly tan cloth color now. 

Not only were they colored to match the diagram they had black stripes to indicate the wire gauge. If you find some of the harness where tape has protected it you might see what it originally looked like.