Way off topic 1993 caravan transmission

Los_Control

You may want to revisit your brake install.  Typically the wear indicators are on the inside of the caliper.  Where were they on the old pads?

14 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

You may want to revisit your brake install.  Typically the wear indicators are on the inside of the caliper.  Where were they on the old pads?

I appreciate your input .... I also was thinking the same thing.

It is impossible to install it in the rear, unless you remove the mounting bracket like this.

The wear indicator gets in the way and you can not slide the pad on the rail.

image.png.e140cc51fc66aa18ba523f0c7698df80.png

Then remove caliper and change pads and assemble then reinstall as 1 complete unit.

I can then put it in the back.

My limited knowledge, I've never seen a car I had to remove the mounting bracket to install new pads?

I can leave the bracket in place and install on the front like they are.

I'm just not sure if it matters which side they are on. The pad with the indicator has a tiny bit more surface area so maybe it needs to be in the rear? I Dunno.

I guess another way is to leave bracket mounted, remove caliper, front pad, rotor, rear pad ....

Then slide rear pad on, rotor, front pad .... DOH! ..... I will change it  :D 

If they were on the outside when you took it apart, leave them that way.   The pads themselves will work even if the indicators may not.   The inside pads tend to wear faster than the outside pads which is why the wear indicator is usually on the inside.  When on the outside you may get metal to metal before the indicator can warn you.  It was just a suggestion to recheck your work.  My opinion matters little anymore on this forum.  They've been overlooked and disagreed with so often lately I'm extremely hesitant about posting anything.  Do some research on wear indicator positioning for your specific vehicle before you change them. 

1 hour ago, Dave72dt said:

My opinion matters little anymore on this forum.  They've been overlooked and disagreed with so often lately I'm extremely hesitant about posting anything.

I always appreciate everyone's opinion.

And to be fair I really just do not know better myself so getting others ideas help me .....

Thats where I was at ..... what could possibly be the difference? .... will it really matter?

In the end I can at a glance see where they are. .... kinda nice to have them on the outside.

Because of your input I did revisit it and here is the exact issue in my case why I cant run them on the outside.

IMG_20240620_154949.jpg.7e5323adbc6ff0e6178c7b16e1b84c49.jpg

You can see when I install the wheel, I will be pushing them out of position into the rotor.

I just did not pay close attention to that and was thinking it would be fine .....

@Dave72dt I want to thank you for your opinion .... you got me to take a better look at it.

1 hour ago, Dave72dt said:

The inside pads tend to wear faster than the outside pads which is why the wear indicator is usually on the inside.

Thats probably why the inside pads have a slightly larger surface area to try to keep the wear kinda equal.

I could just cut the indicators off .... all they do is ruin your rotor .... I watch my stuff closer than that.

So I will just switch them around ..... I learned something today    :)

• Like 1

Well 2 years later it is a runner again ..... I have some more work to do.

Damn I just hate pulling motors that should come out the bottom ..... out of the top.

So I have done it twice ...... I'm happy it actually runs and seems to run well.

So I'm happy it starts and runs .... The last engine did the same and spun a rod bearing at 50 miles on the odometer.

So it will take some time before I trust this engine that seems to run good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

Los_Control I admire your ability to stick to it and get it running again after that long. Good job.

Thanks for the kind words .....

Fact is, I was just pissed off at the car and put it in the corner for 2 years on a time out.

Even after I bought the motor for it and started working on it .... I stopped with the excuse it was spring time and if I'm going to have a garden this year I need to spend my time there instead. .... so I did.

The used engine came with a 90 day warranty, that ran out June 11th and I finally started it up on the 25th 2 weeks after warranty expired. .... I have just been dragging my feet on the job because it is a very big job, I really had no heart to do it, a 2nd time.

So now it is sorta personal to me to fix it, Mother wanted the car to go to her daughter when she passed away.

Then sitting in it this morning drinking my morning coffee warming it up, I adjusted the radio, turned on the AC, thought how comfortable the seats were ...... memories of the times we have taken it on road trips for months at a time.

We have a lot of seat time in that car.

Same time I have kept it up in good condition, If the motor proves to be good, the rest of it is ready for another road trip.

So for me it is a forever car that we will own til we die ..... I just wish I fixed it sooner.

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1

Little too early for a victory lap yet .... We got 50 miles on it so far .... last used engine spun a bearing about 40 miles as soon as I gave it a good shake down run around town, I took it right out on the freeway .... It did ok.

A issue popped up, the speed limit is 75mph. Normally this car you barely touch the gas pedal and it cruises at 80mph. ..... The gas in it is 2.5 years old.

I had to give it over 1/4 throttle to get it up to 75 .... then going over 75 it started to chug like it was running out of fuel.

Drop the speed down to 70 and it cruises comfortably ........ The gas gauge was reading full I have it down to 3/4 tank and want to get it to 1/2 then fill it with premium fuel and let them mix together. ...... maybe it will run better.

Other then fighting bad fuel, it is running fine. ...... It is getting a major bath this weekend, just getting ready to pressure wash the engine bay, then give the exterior a good bath .... recharge the AC.

I thought about getting it registered today, then my tag would be due in June and only get 11 months instead of 12 .... so Monday taking it down for inspection. .... Then will get full 12 months registration.

I need to adjust the camber on the drivers side, passenger is fine and it drives fine .... will get abnormal tire wear so I will lift it back up and adjust, give everything else a once over to be sure is ok ..... I am feeling confident it is back in the living world again.

Edited by Los_Control