What rim size for radial

Mister B

I plan to switch to radial tires since my old bias ones are dry rotted on my 48 Dodge 4 door.  For those who have done this, my question is, what combination worked for you, (rim width, tire size. etc). Are there radials that will fit my 15x5 stock wheels, is so, what is a good  size?  I would like to use my stock full hubcaps on the car. Been looking for 15x6 Mopar or Ford steel wheels, but not having any luck in my area.

My tire guy told me because of a radial design they are fat to begin (sidewall) so I would think if youre using a stock rim (made for bias tires) go with a narrower tire.

I kept my bias tires on my stock rims. Modern wheels/rims will set you back. If you want to dig around the junkyard thats fine. Just my 2 cents

I'd be surprised if 225 radials would be a good fit on a 5" rim...........when I had the 41 Plymouth I had 15x6 and 15x7 rims with 195 and 235 Coker Classic whitewall radials and they fitted quite well.......my 1940 Dodge has 14x6 and 15x10 mags with 205 and 275 radials.........with a 5" rim I'd be thinking that a 195 or even a 185 would be more the size I'd use......heres a pic of the Plymouth.............these rode and steered well, have sold the car but would use them again without an issue..................andyd  

IMG_1355.JPG

I have 215 75 15s on stock 1948 D24 rims.  225 is closest to the original tire height if you're concerned about that.  I'd recommend a narrower aspect.  I was looking at 225s when I put radials on our car, but deferred to a smaller tire mainly because of the rim width.  If I remember correctly, the 225/75s recommended a 6 inch rim, the 215s were 5 1/2, 205s were 5 inch.  But I didn't like how small the 205s looked.  The difference between rim and tire width is more of a concern if you drive vigorously or drive on predominantly bad roads.  The topic has been discussed herein before.         

P255/60R15's fit on those cop car rims in the back of my 51 with plenty of room.  Up front with those tires the backspacing is too deep, the sidewall hits the upper control arm outer pivot bolt on a turn to lock. 

Some test fitting of that setup  http://www.yourolddad.com/tires

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. It has been very helpful. If I were to find a later model rim, (let's say a 15x6}, and ran a 225/75/15, do you see this being a problem? Does knocking off

the wheel locator pins to use a later wheel cause a real problem?

28 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I've drilled a test fit 17" rim for the locator pin, but I was lazy.  I only drilled one hole, not 5.  One is all you really need.  5 is handy  so you don't have to play align the hole as much.

while 5 would be easier for some....to others it offers too many variables and would cause long delays in tire changing as they would sit trying to find a rational reason for which hole to place on the peg.....

• Haha 1

How difficult is the process of drilling the pin locator hole? I have access to a set of later model 15x6, 5 on 4.5 rims, but obviously, the don't have the locator holes in them.  Considering running 215/75/15 tires. Is there a certain way to determine the measurement for where the locator is? Also, would knocking or grinding the pin off cause any issues?

You could use the stock rim to make a template to locate the new hole for the pin.  Since the the wheels are hubcentric you don't have to be super precise on the locating pin hole, it's there mostly to assist in holding the wheel in the proper place while you start the wheel bolts.

I've taken out the pins and not having them does make it harder to start the bolts, but not impossible. 

• Like 1