Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Lets see pic of your trucks

Ken_Hart

Thank you for the welcome, & your thoughts on my ole-truck!

I hope I do justice with her with my build.

what are your plans? Restore, hotrod?

More pictures! Looks like you have a solid foundation!

what are your plans? Restore, hotrod?

More pictures! Looks like you have a solid foundation!

I am chopping the roof 2-3 inches, then Extending the back of the cab 16 - 18 inches to create an extended cab. after all that I am grafting the Cab onto a '94 Dodge Dakota extended cab.

As for a drive-train, I am leaning heavily towards the 4BT or the 6BT cummins diesel, but that may change as tyme goes on?

IMG_20121122_145552.jpg

IMG_20121123_143905.jpg

IMG_20121124_134333.jpg

My reasoning for the Dakota swap, is that the money it would take to rebuild or mod the original frame, is cost prohibitive. I want the truck to be lowered, & want it to be able to handle what ever I decide to use as an engine.

The original just isn't going to cut it without alot of tyme & money!

I purchased the Dakota for 600.00 Rust free with a bad drive-train.

I am using the Dakota floor & firewall because of my plans to extend the cab's lenght & the fire wall is already set up for AC, & firewall mounted pedals.

The dakota already has IFS & front disc brakes, & I have a ford 9" with disc brakes for the rear.

The dakota is already lowered, & the '48's ride height will be at a nice 3 inches with full suspension travel, the dakota floor will also allow me to sit lower & comfortable.

I have a Day & 1/2 in getting the dakota stripped down to what I will be using, & removing what I am not.

I have a Day & 1/2 in disassembling the '48, bracing the body & removing it from the original frame.

Monday I will finish bracing the interior & then mark out my cut lines for the Roof chop, & my cuts for the Cab extension.

Edited by Apittslife

sounds pretty similar to what I plan on doing for my next truck (extending the cab) and a Cummins diesel. I'll watch your project with interest for problem spots as you go to smooth my road in a few years.

Keep those pictures coming! Might I suggest you start a build thread to keep us all up to speed?

• Like 1

truck picture money pit:

during the impromptu pow-wow with The Dad last night, I had to deliver the bad news that the computer in the VP44027 on his '01 Ram CTD QuadCab is kaput and will require replacement (1st one crapped out back in '05)...we came to a tentative agreement that I could do the repair in exchange for some floorspace in his barn (the one with electricity & a concrete floor). I can use that floorspace to work on the flatbed I dragged down from OKC (by way of KS) a couple of years ago so that we can put it to work hauling water from a robust well up to his 2 acre lavender patch that he started as a retirement project. This '51 will require a bonded title along with a teardown & rebuild. The flatbed is in good shape, so it'll only need some rewiring and a li'l cosmetic work to get it looking spiffy. And since there are no bed parts to mess with, the cosmetic work on the truck sheetmetal is drastically reduced as compared with the '48 & '49 farm pickups I have rollin'round. Putting this truck back into service after decades of sitting around will also free up some other equipment that we use...the irony is that when I dragged this truck home back in 2010, I was scolded for 'junking up the place'; now this ol' beast may turn into a valuable farm truck after all :cool:

post-6555-13585372104505_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised information

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone knows and would be so kind as to tell me; I would like to know if triple bumper guards were an option on the 51 at the time of purchase. Some how I'm under the impression that only the two smaller bumper guards belong on the 51 (knowing a man can do anything he wants to his truck for whatever purpose he sees fit)

Thanks,

Hank :)

...I would like to know if triple bumper guards were an option on the 51 at the time of purchase...

That center bumper guard was used on B-1 & B-2 trucks only. I don't know why this big guard was installed here on this B-4, as it is located in the area where the license plate should mount. This is another oddity for this truck as TX requires front & rear plates, and the front plate is no where to be found on this beast. As this was a farm truck, the bumper guards show signs of being used as tow hooks :rolleyes:

I believe 49Dodge1ton is correct. Apittslife, I think it is just that this truck was used as a farm truck and the owner chose to install all three pieces or the truck came with the right and left and he added the middle one. Someone sold me all three pieces but the bottoms of them were rotted out. I had the two smaller ones fixed (pool welds) and they are a strong candidate for full restoration (but they'll take some time that's for sure. The middle one is still in rotten condition (but could be restored) They fall into the hard to find category. I won't be installing it on my 51.

Hank :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.. Im new here and this is my first post, here is my recently imported 1950 B2B after we painted it 2 days ago.

While not to many peoples taste hopefully some will like it ;)

As for trucks, this is a first also for me, I have never had an American motor let alone a left hand drive so its a very steep learning curve for me.

One other issue I have is the details on running gear is vague, apparently its a 78 Nova clip and rear axle with a 5.7 chevy engine.

Hope to have more time to work on it over the next couple of weeks but the paint was needed as our weather is not good for old vehicles.

TrOjAn

post-9333-13585372728198_thumb.jpg

post-9333-13585372728812_thumb.jpg

nice trucks! WELCOME! Where did you import to?

Its the same truck ;) basic red was how I got it, just sprayed it up 2 days before Christmas to get some paint on it :)

It now lives in Essex, UK but not on the road yet as I am waiting on registration due to customs being slow!! (holding paperwork)

TrOjAn

Edited by TrOjAnUK

If anyone knows and would be so kind as to tell me; I would like to know if triple bumper guards were an option on the 51 at the time of purchase. Some how I'm under the impression that only the two smaller bumper guards belong on the 51 (knowing a man can do anything he wants to his truck for whatever purpose he sees fit)

seems as though your question has been answered. the pic i've attached shows a 48-50 front with triple overriders (my 48). the difference between the spacing of these vs the spacing shown in the spring special (51-53) above is clear, and with the bumper of the ss showing a place for the license plate, it's doubtful that the center overrider was intended for these years.

wally

post-1455-13585372730936_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372731516_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My stepside 1/2 ton fargo in the UK. I'm looking for a spare wheel if anyone has one, its a 16'' x 5 stud pattern please

Here ya go, My 55 Fargo, with 52 box, drivin around here in winter. Gonna fix her up, with new paint soon, I have 55 rear fenders and correct running boards too.

I do have a Mopar 8/14 inch rear diff, with 3.23 gears, sure make highway drivin much nicer.

Check out this link for my escapade today......

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=34988

My stepside 1/2 ton fargo in the UK. I'm looking for a spare wheel if anyone has one, its a 16'' x 5 stud pattern please

I'm getting my rims here in the next few days, had to buy 5 need 3, so I might have one for ya, woul dbe spendy to ship tho!

I'm getting my rims here in the next few days, had to buy 5 need 3, so I might have one for ya, woul dbe spendy to ship tho!

sounds interesting on the rims, the ones I have are steel 5 stud 16'' currently running on 600 x 16 6 ply tyres, I'll try and attach a picture off another dodge thats in the uk

post-7725-13585372835928_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

truck picture money pit:

I got the '48 out of the barn today to take it for a spin while taking a break in between projects and to enjoy the 80s we had this afternoon...the work is starting to pile up around the house already :cool:

post-2888-0-64548400-1364783705_thumb.jpg  post-2888-0-99845600-1364783789_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised information

• 2 weeks later...

Ask you if your Fargo colour is original(?) Because in 1986 when I purshased my Dodge 1952 it was this same colour.