Garage floor anchor?

jcmiller

I have a few other candidates that I would strap to the front of a vehicle before that gravelly voiced yahoo, but the real question I would ask is, how often would ya use them anchor bolts?  I had a lively discussion with my dad who wanted to bolt a small manual tire changer to the middle of his shop floor, with my argument being that it would be in the way more often than it would be useful, as we only use that tool a few times a year, if that.  I came up with a compromise last year, welding a platform with some scrap steel to bolt the tire changer onto...the platform is heavy enough that it doesn't scoot around, but light enough that it can be moved without a forklift.  I have seen a well-intentioned handy man anchor some bolts in old concrete, and all looked well, except when a full load was applied...a loud *pop* was heard, and the contraption that was holding a LOT of weight began to move around, causing slow moving gents to flee with alacrity (and not very gracefully) and a lot of expensive stuff get tore up...that's when they found out their shiny smooth shop floor had no rebar in it, and was a little on the soft side, a possibility that was explained previously.  This one incident makes me look at all anchor bolt installations with suspicion, and I am super leery when I hear folks planning on giving it a shot without knowing for certain the condition of the concrete they are tapping into.  I am not saying that an anchoring system is a bad idea, but assuming certain material conditions are present could be a recipe for disaster...other alternatives could be attempted that are less permanent to the structure and can be removed when not in use :cool:

• Like 3

Something mounted in the floor seems like it would get in the way more than it would be used. Unless it were close to a  wall. Get classy and install an electric winch on the back wall?

ask me how I know this wall mounted winch is not a good idea....

first getting FEF home I thought that woudl work once we stalled out pushing him up the drive...Iheard the wall starting to give and I have the winch tied across 4 2x6 studs...

Here's what you do; put 4 or 6 lag anchors in the floor next to the wall, build a good, stout stand for a bench grinder or a drill press with a provision for attaching a come-along or a nice winch and bolt that to the floor. Now you have a nice permanent solution and nothing to trip over AND a place for your grinder or whatever.

• Like 1

I think what Tim is saying is, core/demo a hole in the garage floor a few inches from the back wall, about 6"-8" diameter, then with a post hole digger, go down 2'-3', drop in the 4" round pipe (1/4"-5/16" thick) and fill around AND inside the pipe with concrete. Close enough to the wall to be out of the way, strong enough to pull just about any rolling vehicle, and doubles as a parking stop in case the brakes don't work. You can even do as Big Daddy said and add a plate or fixture for a bench type mounted power tool.

Not that I'm adding much here.....I am enjoying reading the thread....but it does remind me of how I get wrecked vehicles off of the trailer at my ranch. 

I tie a chain to the T-post along the fence line...tie the other end to the car/truck (they aren't rollers, they be wrecked) and drive away with the trailer.

Mind you its a T-post...I use the same one cuz I dismantle cars in the same location. I'm always amazed it does the job over and over...lol.

I like BigDaddyO's idea.......You can always make it a pocket and drop in the post or drop in the grinder stand etc.....

48D

One thing I can mention that might be important is the geometry of the "pull".

If the inside of the garage is level, and the anchors are in the back say 20 plus feet/near the floor...and the vehicle is in the driveway, say over 8 feet from the entry,

you may have a leverage point you don't want. The cable/rope/strap may rub the point at where the driveway meets the garage entry. 

This happens with my trailer sometimes. The cable from the winch stretches 17 feet across the deck then another 4 feet across the ramps, then ties to a low point to the chassis.

when I pull vehicles that are low to the ground, I have to raise the rear axle of my truck ( I use ramp jacks) to reduce the angle between the ramps and the trailer deck.

Just a thought.

48D

maybe the silver bullets are getting drank...ain't got a dog in this fight and it seems the dogs that are there are just barking and chasing their tails.....well I best get back to digging out some bamboo before I really get in trouble.....lol

Digging out bamboo - that's something I could go on about.  That stuff is about impossible to kill.

tell me about it..has been left unchecked and multiplying in the one corner back right of my property.  It follows no boundaries..even a few shoots on my side now...though I try to keep it cut or dug...I just acquired the property as an extension of my yard in April and making reclamation.   It is a process...it can be eradicated but it is not an easy task.  Anyone who plants this stuff should never need a rectal exam as their own eyes should be able to see any problem from their vantage point.  I think I am down to about 250 estimated plants to dig out yet...average root ball is estimated 6-8 swings of a mattock.  Following a root trace is a pain but you can usually work the runner in reverse.  You are really not able to get all the roots even with a root rake.  Any new shoot that comes up  must be cut before getting knee high...if it gets up to that height it is feeding the root...cut it first it is sapping the root and will eventually die to lack of nutrients.  Got a lazy neighbor with this stuff...you got a lifelong battle...

the neighbors whom it encroaches are left to eradicate it from their property...

to successfully plant and contain bamboo one needs to plant it in a drum buried in the yard...that stuff is so fast spreading and uncontrollable it will be eating out of your refrigerator within a year..maybe you can take it off your taxes.

my cousin talked of getting some to plant...I hope I was able to educate and convince him it is not a good idea..

just dug 25 more root and cut the stalks from another 23 so to dig next session....in for coffee

I think what Tim is saying is, core/demo a hole in the garage floor a few inches from the back wall, about 6"-8" diameter, then with a post hole digger, go down 2'-3', drop in the 4" round pipe (1/4"-5/16" thick) and fill around AND inside the pipe with concrete. Close enough to the wall to be out of the way, strong enough to pull just about any rolling vehicle, and doubles as a parking stop in case the brakes don't work. You can even do as Big Daddy said and add a plate or fixture for a bench type mounted power tool.

LOL, you mean like this flipped upside down post-6005-0-55270700-1463581207.jpg

Not that I'm adding much here.....I am enjoying reading the thread....but it does remind me of how I get wrecked vehicles off of the trailer at my ranch. 

I tie a chain to the T-post along the fence line...tie the other end to the car/truck (they aren't rollers, they be wrecked) and drive away with the trailer.

Mind you its a T-post...I use the same one cuz I dismantle cars in the same location. I'm always amazed it does the job over and over...lol.

I like BigDaddyO's idea.......You can always make it a pocket and drop in the post or drop in the grinder stand etc.....

48D

what a redneck! I knew I liked you.... that reminds me of how my Dad used to unload the firewood from the back of his truck. flip down the gate, back up at about 10-15mph and slam on the brakes :D   

• Like 1

Just how steep is this driveway?  And the car will be in neutral?  Hire some neighborhood boys to push the car up the drive.  (No, can't do that, liability and all that.) 

Maybe the pusher car, with the bumper tire duct-taped on, remains an option.  

Digging out bamboo - that's something I could go on about.  That stuff is about impossible to kill.

Salt. Lots-o-salt.  Used it many years ago when I lived in the city.

A neighbor planted some bamboo along the fence line...I was forced to counter-attack.....

• Like 1

the neighbors whom it encroaches are left to eradicate it from their property...

to successfully plant and contain bamboo one needs to plant it in a drum buried in the yard...that stuff is so fast spreading and uncontrollable it will be eating out of your refrigerator within a year..maybe you can take it off your taxes.

my cousin talked of getting some to plant...I hope I was able to educate and convince him it is not a good idea..

just dug 25 more root and cut the stalks from another 23 so to dig next session....in for coffee

My run in with this "tallest grass in the world" was in Rondonia, Brazil.  We bought a house that had some in the back yard.  Other houses there also had clumps of the stuff, but ours was the biggest.  Some of the other places had it far enough away from the house that they were able to kill it off by cutting it down, then building a big fire on top of it.  If you got it hot enough, it would kill the roots.  After ours was about the only bamboo left on the mission base, everyone came to me for their television antenna poles.  Wonderful for that, as long as you made sure it didn't grow where you stuck it in the ground.  Ours was too close to the house to burn it out, so different times I started cutting on it, but it always grew back faster than I could cut it.  (This clump was around 8 feet across, and so dense you could not see through it.  I know that there are also different varieties - this was the type that gets up to around 4 - 5 inches in diameter.)  This area is in the Amazon - mostly re-growth, so the bamboo is the tallest thing around.  It was good for two things, shade, and protection from lightening strikes.  It was also good for snakes & rats, etc, but I never saw the advantage in that for us.  But talk about it spreading, before I knew how it acted, I had just thrown the stuff I was cutting down into the jungle at the back of our yard, but soon found out that if one of the joints is in contact with the ground, or wet enough, it will sprout and grow another clump right there!  I was burning a big pile of it once, and people were coming from all over to see what was going on, because the sections are hollow, and explode in the fire with a pretty nice bang.  Later the mission got an old back-hoe, and I had the maintenence department come and dig it out.  I think they still had to dig out a few roots they had missed later, but that took care of it.  Needless to say I would NEVER plant that stuff on my yard.  

in the case such as that...the more effective manner may well be to just cut the stalk higher in a hollow segment, drill into the root, pour in concentrated Round-up and cover the stalk with a plastic drink bottle with the top cut out so as to not allow the stuff to evaporate and or get diluted or washed out with water...this will feed the root.  It is however a time process.  I experimented with drill a number of uncut stalks and pumping in Round-up..the kill rate was about 55% at best...drill into the root ball I think would be more likely to work ...I have a few that I cannot really access well to dig..I am going to try this very method on these...say about 15 stalks or so...

tell me about it..has been left unchecked and multiplying in the one corner back right of my property.  It follows no boundaries..even a few shoots on my side now...though I try to keep it cut or dug...I just acquired the property as an extension of my yard in April and making reclamation.   It is a process...it can be eradicated but it is not an easy task.  Anyone who plants this stuff should never need a rectal exam as their own eyes should be able to see any problem from their vantage point.  I think I am down to about 250 estimated plants to dig out yet...average root ball is estimated 6-8 swings of a mattock.  Following a root trace is a pain but you can usually work the runner in reverse.  You are really not able to get all the roots even with a root rake.  Any new shoot that comes up  must be cut before getting knee high...if it gets up to that height it is feeding the root...cut it first it is sapping the root and will eventually die to lack of nutrients.  Got a lazy neighbor with this stuff...you got a lifelong battle...

Pandas..get some pandas!

• Like 1