A bad OD day in the boonies

martybose

Done Done and more done!!!!

Dropping the tranny & OD and off to George it goes! I've done my best to find reliable and knowledgeable folks here but its 3 years

and empty promises and money not so well spent.

The young man helping me now is fine and is patient and trusted so he'll drop the unit and he has a tranny coming to him for a project he's

building so we'll have a solid crate to package my unit in.

Don if you read this George says hi! He is a fine fellow to speak with and has info up the wazzu!!! He got a laugh out of the story I told him

about how the tranny shop owner added a breather line to the top of the tranny case to relieve the heat and stop the leak!!! :rolleyes:

Heres hoping for the best, I just want my damn car to work. ;)

Doc

Well, congratulations, Marty. It's good to see you getting this figured out. That OD is a real blessing when it works.

Maybe the assembly goo is too gooey in there still?

I've overhauled 2 OD Trannies, a '49 (?) Plymouth and a '59 Ford & the only manual I had to cover them was a generic Motor's from 1957.

It worked out well for me both times & I never had issues with the plungers, but I built the trannies on a bench, complete.

They were not my first transmissions though, just the first with ODs.

I agree with checking the fuse!

My OD  regularly blew fuses until I replaced the 6v. solenoid with a 12 v. later model solenoid- I changed all of my 50 Ply. 4 dr. to 12v.

Others said the 6 v. solenoid works on 12 v. system-not for me!

I believe you are still 6v. system?  Them maybe a cleanup of the solenoid itself will help. Or replacement if fuses still blow?

See Resources on the top line of this forum then-downloads-manuals for a 3 page how to on cleaning parts inside. BW R-10 solenoid rebuild.

Best of luck-

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Whats up Marty? Are you ok.................... :cool:

My OD & trans should be arriving at George's shop possibly Tues.

Hoping for a successful operation and the patient returned in top condition.

Good news coming soon.

Doc

I'm okay, but I'm still sulking a bit.  It's been in the high 30's/low 40's in the shop, and I haven't felt real enthused to go crawling around on a concrete floor to figure it out yet.

Marty

...Considered mild and pleasant temperatures and enjoyable this time of year, especially with the sun shining here - north of the 49th.  :)  

30/40s in Calif? Is this the Calif. near Alaska? I understand your frustration the old cars punch back to often.

My OD/tranny should be at George's by Tuesday and I might get lucky and see it by Dec 5-8, hoping!

Holiday shipping might kick the timing back abit!

Hang in there Marty its just another winter break.

Doc

30/40s in Calif? Is this the Calif. near Alaska? . . .

Off topic, but California extends nearly 1,000 miles north to south. If it were on the east coast it would span from about Connecticut to Georgia. It also has both the lowest elevation in North America and highest elevation in the "lower 48".

So while the coastal areas and, to a lesser extent, the "Central Valley" have very pleasant and moderate weather there are parts of the state that really do have very cold winters and/or very hot summers.

About the only weather you won't easily find in California is that horribly uncomfortable muggy heat that you might find in, say, Florida.

• Like 1

Yeah, California climate is an interesting topic all by itself.  I'm near Galt, which is in the Central Valley about 25 miles south of Sacramento, but I'm only at 60 ft of altitude. and I've already seen temps just slightly below freezing in the last couple of weeks, probably be in the twenties later on.  This after a summer that saw temps above 105, so we see around an 80 degree swing through the course of a year.  hopefully it will be a rainy winter for a change!

Marty

Well Marty the last 2 days the temps went up to almost 70 degrees in central Ca. in the afternoons.

Kind of hard to use temp. as your reason, but other considerations are always present!  Wifes etc!   ;)

DJ

Well Marty the last 2 days the temps went up to almost 70 degrees in central Ca. in the afternoons.

Kind of hard to use temp. as your reason, but other considerations are always present!  Wifes etc!   ;)

DJ

Well, I did lead off my reply by saying that I was still sulking, as it really fried me that it working for a day and a half and then quit again.  Maybe I'll feel better about it after Thanksgiving!

Marty

Just trying to kid you a bit, but after spending big $$ for repair and then having problems, I do understand!

Marty if you would like to discuss troubleshooting the OD system I have rebuilt 2 Mopar OD' s and wired mine to operate different from stock but to figure that out I first needed to learn the stock setup. I have a spare 6V. and 12 V. OD solenoids if needed to test?

PM me to talk and maybe bring the car to my place to do the troubleshooting?

Love my OD in the 50 Ply. 4 dr. I have and after having it I understand the loss when it does not work!

DJ

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Fun times with old cars............. :wub:

Just hung up from Mr. Asche and the operation on the trans & OD was successful. He needs to button it up

and send it back by the weekend. Heres hoping I can get some driving time finally, its been 3 months since I've seen the coupe and

and a week prior to that it was gone for 11 weeks. (tranny shop & rear main/front seal) tranny shop it seems didn't do a very good job

after to speaking with Mr. Asche, oh well I'm not surprised.

thanx for the geography lesson todF. I've been to Calif. the weather is really nice in San Diego but the Calif. people seem so snotty & rude B)

I'm sure not everyone, just a few............... :cool:  Doc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tranny & OD was boxed yesterday and will be picked up at Mr. Acshe shop on the 30th!

After waiting on synchro's and some other needed parts its finally heading back home.

I'm hoping that I can drive it by the middle of Jan 20016!!! BUT 2017 seems more reasonable.... B)

I'll list the components and the addition of Mr. Ashe's "switch" on the OD. We did add a newer 2nd gear too.

Whats up Marty? A brave new year is coming, don't give up or give in! Master that ol' Coupe' damn cars.   ;) Doc.

• Like 1

The OD units are very nice.  But, getting to the place where they work without any issues for years on end takes more than meets the eye.

Old time people on this board will remember my issues with my OD.  I had a respected person sell it to me as rebuilt and it would not work. 

In the end, I personally took the entire unit apart and rebuilt it as if I was doing a race engine.  Many of the parts were out of the factory specification range and some parts were never even removed from the case. Every part was inspected and checked against the original specifications. If it failed the inspection is was replaced.  In the end a number of parts had to be replaced, that should have been replaced when it was supposedly rebuilt.

Once done correct, the unit was installed and the unit ran fine.

It has been running in continuous service for years now, it IS our daily driver, and has never missed a beat.

My point of writing this is that sometimes you can "sort-of" clean up an unit and it will work fine.  However, I keep hearing from people, mostly off-line, that they get a unit that is rebuilt and they have issues. 

The only way to make sure that an BW Overdrive will work for years is to take it apart and rebuild it by the book.

One item that is over looked, and was by a reputable source, is the blocker ring.  This ring works by friction.  Over time it digs a slot into the part it rides on.  When this happens you can get odd behavior with it shifting sometimes, sometimes not, and sometimes not working at all. 

The part and its mate are very hard to find.  I had to pay Frank Mitchell a lot of money for a set and it may have been the last one he had.  One could take the original and weld it up, lathe it down, and then have it hardened. Same with the ring.

My point is that every part should be checked to the specifications.  Just looking at it is not enough. If I were to do another OD, I would just buy a couple of cores and take the time to do it myself. 

James.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the R10 overdrives.

I have rebuilt/checked over dozens over the years for myself and mainly customers.

All always worked fine.

Relays, solenoids and leaking then running low on oil will prevent them from shifting into OD.

New parts now days are nearly impossible to find so my days of doing them are over... except for my own stuff.

Picking up the Coupe in the morning.......................heres HOPING!

I will get back here to be more descriptive as to what was needed and done an try to finish this thread off with

some helpful alternatives when trouble shooting and rebuilding.

Highway here I come!!!!!

Doc

Wishing you the best.  ;)

Hopefully the repair shop did a road test.? Suggest they take you on a road test before paying! ?

Seems that Marty's shop did not!

Makes me very sorry that I brought up the company name and info. that did his repairs. :(

DJ

People need to "bring up" their experiences more often so others can have more info prior to

employing "experts" for solving auto problems.

The fellow who did the labor is a past owner of a service center, the tranny & OD was refurbished

by George Asche in Penn.

The original work was at Ralphs Transmissions in Sarasota Fl. a 35+ year transmission repair shop

who replaced a gear and never fixed the grinding between 2nd & 3rd, never fixed the OD and had the tranny over heating

on my ride home from their shop. They picked the car up and proceeded to "vent" the tranny case to prevent the box from getting hot!!!!

OK thats enough of the terror story, they didn't know whatb to do and I handed them the shop manuel on the car & OD.

They said they knew whatb to do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they didn't! :mad:

Yes I will take a ride with the wrench before I head home.

Doc

OK time heals all wounds (except old cars) HA!

Got the externals in order and the coupe is finally back on the road.

George Asche added a different second gear that lengthened the ratio and

while in OD I can drive around in neighborhood settings in second gear!!!

I hit the highway at 2 grand crusing at 65mph. however I need some help 'dialing in the dual carbs now.

With OD off the carbs are off, I'm not sure why they weren't touched other than removing the "kick down"

set up for the old OD setting.

I found a motorcycle tuner who works on 2,4 and 6 carb race bikes, he says he can balance them out.

The manual doesn't have a tach suggestion for dual carbs but my guess is around 600rpm's might be ok in tandum

with the OD unit too.

Any suggestions on the dual carb set up??? (carter BB)

New syncro's, new selenoid & relay (12V from First Avenue) new 2nd. gear also eliminated the kick down replaced by Asche switch

no govenor.

Doc.

Synchronizing multiple carburetors requires an air flow tool as pictured below to insure consistent air flow. The adjustments are done to the linkage only insuring the butterflies open and close in harmony. Once this adjustment is complete then the idle air mixture can be adjusted on each carburetor separately to achieve the smoothest idle.

carbtune1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Don, I found another fellow who owns and works on cars from the 30's through the 60's.

He has the air flow tool and also adjusts the distributor and says he can increase performance up to 25%.

Right now the car is running poorly, not sure why prior to droping the tranny & OD it was running fine.

I checked the fuel filter and lines and they look good, the kick down and govenor were removed and that

shouldn't interfer with anything.

I ran the car this morning and the OD kicked in at 2nd gear and then I tried it in 3rd gear. I'm getting the "drifting" timing

down and the difference from straight 3 spd to OD is about 900 rpm's over 55mph. Not bad!

The car goes to ANOTHER garage on Monday morning, heres hoping for the best!

Doc.

without a proper sync of the carbs there is little you can guess at for state of tune...any number of things could have bumped/stressed the linkage...any mechanic with the hood up grabbing the linkage from the incorrect pull point can cause out of sync...do the carb tune prior to making any other calls...