Turn signal switch options - what alternatives are there?

Thomba48

Here cars get inspected for air pollution and that's it. (Unless you have a "special construction" vehicle.)

. . .

I guess Prius hybrid cars must be ”special construction” as neither my wife’s 2001 (acquired in late 2000) nor my 2004 (acquired in late 2003) have ever been “smogged”. DMV just wants money for the registration sticker.

• Like 1

Whats wrong with using the nice simple chrome plated indicator switch that I used on my 1941 Plymouth as shown here just behind the steering wheel..........found on ebay, about 30-40.00 US, a bit more with postage to me here in Oz.........not only was it nice, shiney chrome but it also had a red button that was the hazard light switch........wired up easily and as mentioned was chromed...............did I also mention it was real shiney chrome?...........oh, I did.........I like chrome..............lol.............andyd 

post-612-0-76306200-1417936217_thumb.jpg

I guess Prius hybrid cars must be ”special construction” as neither my wife’s 2001 (acquired in late 2000) nor my 2004 (acquired in late 2003) have ever been “smogged”. DMV just wants money for the registration sticker.

The smog laws are different in different counties here. Counties with heavy smog have strict inspection schedules, but new cars are exempt for the first 5 years in our county. Counties with little smog usually have no inspections.

BTW I meant that (except for commercial trucks) only Special construction vehicles get safety checks, & just when first registered; but not that they were the only vehicles to avoid smog checks. Diesels don't get smog checks. Motorcycles don't, nor do boats. Electrics don't of course.

Edited by Ulu

Whats wrong with using the nice simple chrome plated indicator switch that I used on my 1941 Plymouth as shown here just behind the steering wheel..........found on ebay, about 30-40.00 US, a bit more with postage to me here in Oz.........not only was it nice, shiney chrome but it also had a red button that was the hazard light switch........wired up easily and as mentioned was chromed...............did I also mention it was real shiney chrome?...........oh, I did.........I like chrome..............lol.............andyd 

They're OK but kinda bulky IMO.

At one point I was going to just make a simple bent signal lever, that ran alongside the column and through the floor, to a turn signal switch hidden below the floorboards. Not hard to do, but once I installed the toggle switch, that was good enough for then.

Did I hear the word Chrome a lot? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee loooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee chrome. Talking about Chrome: Has anybody every thought about a nice trim application on the after market fenderskirts? :-)

That skirt chrome is left to your own imagination..you can go for the repop and be cookie cutter in your final product and be just like the guy parked next to you....or.... think outside the box and use your imagination a bit..after parting a couple cars I ended up with a nice set of left over parts that actually fit and looked good on the lower edge of the skirts...now if you just have to go with 'popular vote' the repops are easily found on e-bay

Thomba48, You mentioned in post #19 you will be required to change the colour of your turn signal bulbs for inspection.On my 1948 Dodge, (still 6 volts),I have clear parking/turn signal lens and used Tamiya color acrylic paint X-26 to colour the bulbs ,(available at a local hobby shop) - it does the job... http://p15-d24.com/topic/16083-amber-lights/?hl=%2Btamiya+%2Bx-26

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Did I hear the word Chrome a lot? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee loooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee chrome. Talking about Chrome: Has anybody every thought about a nice trim application on the after market fenderskirts? :-)

The signal stat 900 that Don and I are both using is available new in chrome. I think its about $5 more than the black version.

while lenses are clear, the underlying bulb can well be purchased in amber and not need paint...but as you stated if lens must be that color you may need to paint...Testors make a spray on translucent red I know....did not look for the amber but most likely it is also available...great product for the hobby and has been used by many..about 8 bucks a 4 oz spray can I think... Euro standard color combination...clear for reversing, amber for turn and red for stop...so odds are Thomba may need to change front lense color..not sure of the rear but would think that thre would be some consession for staying red..it was not unheard of for their own production vehicles for the era..

on the T/S switch..oh yeah..you can rig up about any combination and hide a switch almost any where...but the big question is why...the aftermarkets are so widely accepted and easy to obtain and use...and in fact look right at home on the column where it should be and would have been if the owner was not too cheap to order the factory option when new..be we beat a poor old dead horse here on this note...

That skirt chrome is left to your own imagination..you can go for the repop and be cookie cutter in your final product and be just like the guy parked next to you....or.... think outside the box and use your imagination a bit..after parting a couple cars I ended up with a nice set of left over parts that actually fit and looked good on the lower edge of the skirts...now if you just have to go with 'popular vote' the repops are easily found on e-bay

on the T/S switch..oh yeah..you can rig up about any combination and hide a switch almost any where...but the big question is why...the aftermarkets are so widely accepted and easy to obtain and use...and in fact look right at home on the column where it should be and would have been if the owner was not too cheap to order the factory option when new..be we beat a poor old dead horse here on this note...

First you encourage people to think out of the box, then vote for people to conform???

First you encourage people to think out of the box, then vote for people to conform???

NO...but I see your confusion, in the case of the skirt trim.. have seen this so many times it is just common place.....I just said that if you had to conform the cookie cutter those options are available...some folks don't like to rise to a challenge or poke around in a wrecking yard looking for that DARE TO BE DIFFERENT part...on the T/S switch...there is a fine line of distinction between jerry rigging and clean functional installation of a safety device...items like this fall into ASME and world wide mandates as a standardization...of course I speak of mass production and not the building of a private vehicle..but when it must conform to inspections of some DOT regardless of the origins..yeah..uniformity is a consideration....emergencies do arise and the car may need be driven by another ...one would hope they can operate safely is all...but hey...power to the people and let the big dog eat...

yes..wrecking yard in Germany were far and few between..there was one I could see from my window while I was stationed in Augsburg Germany years ago and of course we had our own DRMO on base..I do not remember that small yard ever getting larger so I would think dismantling and moving parts were quite a quick and orderly process...

Here, turn signals aren't required, if they weren't required as original equipment. Nor are seatbelts, air bags, or 5mph bumpers.

We respect the right to keep things original.

BTW, I've always thought cars with the aftermarket SignalStat type turn signal on the column looked jerry-rigged. I refused to buy one for the Plymouth, even though I found a NOS unit for $20 chromed.

It's just so utilitarian, and Edith is so stylish. Doesn't match at all IMO.

Chrome, Chrome, Chrome, Chrome, chrome, chrome, Chrome, Chrome, Chrome.....................Chrometttyyy, Chrome............Oh... I'm a Lumberjack and........oops..............wrong forum..........lol...........did I mention I like chrome?.........andyd

post-612-0-55024600-1417984927_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70185300-1417984985_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-18026200-1417985040_thumb.jpg

Is Jerry rigged the same as Jury rigged??? ^_^

I was under the impression that it was either “jerry built” ( shoddy construction of a permanent nature) or “jury rigged” (shoddy construction of a temporary nature, basically a temporary repair).