mrwrstory

All right!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Congrats Bill,

I'm sure the pay off for the  long road you traveled to hear this engine roar was worth all the busted knuckles and band aids. Great Job! Now, When do we see the video of it installed in some set of wheels and moving under it's own power ? No reason to rest now that the " hard " part is done.

When do we see the video of it installed in some set of wheels and moving under it's own power ? No reason to rest now that the " hard " part is done.

It will go in the Roadster this Winter along with a few modifications,.....to the Roadster, like headers, a cowl vent and maybe revised steering.

Edited by mrwrstory

Here is a more comprehensive video of the event and the characters that made it special.  My friend, Oak O'Connor culled this from his three cameras that ran for almost an hour.  The shenanigans and comments both before and after ignition, where what made it special.  I am very fortunate.  Thank you Oak.

• Like 6

Bill, you are, indeed, fortunate. Fortunate to have so many friends to help drink your coffee...

Oh yeah, sounds very nice!

Almost forgot to mention...your videographer is very talented.

Edited by wayfarer

Oak did a great job on the video!!

Saw a news story this AM on TV about 12/13/14 was some supposed lucky day for relationships and twice as many weddings occurred this year on this date as compared to last years numbers. Something about the stars??  The video was dated 12/13/14 so some ??

Bob have you entered into a long term relationship with this hemi?? Did your promise to love for the rest of your life? Put the motor in a furd? We understand mixed relationships here.

Who was the best man??

You did have a lot of witnesses, where were the flowers?  :rolleyes:

DJ

Great video Bill!

I love it at 5:19 when, who I must believe is the camera guy, checks to see if the camera is still ok after the "fire ball" shots to the ceiling...lol

Congrats my friend. ^_^

48D

Here is a more comprehensive video of the event and the characters that made it special.  My friend, Oak O'Connor culled this from his three cameras that ran for almost an hour.  The shenanigans and comments both before and after ignition, where what made it special.  I am very fortunate.  Thank you Oak.

bill,great video,if that dont get your heart pumping,,,looks like a fun time and a great  bunch of guys.  wish  i had a garage like that with or with out that  nice collection of  hemi  valve covers on the wall,,,

Great video, did Oak have something to do with cinematography in his past? Looks like a great bunch of friends showed up, I especially liked the last frame, it shows a really happy guy. Good work.

Oak at one time made his living as a Rock 'n' Roll drummer.  In more recent years he worked in the film industry.  And more recently he has added video recording to his passions of Hot Rods and music.  The 34 Plymouth you see on his avatar is the car he takes on all our long haul trips.  If you check his other videos, you'll see more of the Plymouth(s),...his and mine, as well as other car and music related stuff.

Edited by mrwrstory

• 4 weeks later...

I am going OT from the subject of this thread for those who might like to ride along.  Respecting that many here are less interested in deviations from the P15 focus, I also suspect there are a few who enjoy witnessing the process of solving mechanical problems,.... whatever the marque.  

I think most know that I intend to install the Hemi in my '32 Roadster.  However, being one who can't leave well enough alone, I will also do several other modifications while the car is off the road.

Therefore, the next order of business is cowl steering.  In response to question "why",... it's because I like the look and it's another design and fab project that satisfies my need to screw around and figure out stuff mechanical.

Here's where I am so far.  A F150 box which has a slow ratio and a large mounting footprint.  I'll need to "reverse" it so the pitman arm rotates the correct way and the input shaft exits where the red dot is.  This is about what you would see looking under the dash.

Img_0375_zpsef50ba8b.jpg

-

Before committing to the project, the concept was mocked-up so I could feel good about the appearance and the approx. geometry.

Img_9949_zps80400a8d.jpg

-

Img_9923_zps2e5aaee7.jpg

-

Foot room was always something that I worried about.  I think I have that issue understood and under control.

Img_9942_zps52b48a4a.jpg

-

The centerline indicated shows where the pitman shaft will pierce the cowl.  This location gets me adequate foot room and the input shaft of the box aligns with the steering column.

Img_9953_zps989e014a.jpg

-

As mentioned, the box is relatively slow ( good in this case ) however things change pretty quickly when the geometry comes into play for the appearance I am after.  It would be real easy to end up with a go kart kinda response.  Soooo, the following is a full size mockup with pitman and steering arm lengths that yield a slightly quicker ration than what I now have,..that's the plan.  That which looks like a garbage can lid is looking down at the sidewall of the tire.  The triangle shape is the steering arm and the white spot is king-pin center.

Geometry_zpsb70617ef.jpg

-

Finally, the sketch below illustrates the concept of how I intend to build the steering system's supporting structure.

Cowlsteerstructure2_zps63122a47.jpg[/url]

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1

Will the box get rubber bushings at the mounting bolts?

For that matter, does your car even have rubber body mounts?

BTW, I like the look too.

Edited by Ulu

Will the box get rubber bushings at the mounting bolts?

For that matter, does your car even have rubber body mounts?

The box will be bolted "solid".  And except for a fabric anti squeak strip on the frame, the body is bolted solid too.  It's a pretty primitive car, i.e. no creature comforts except the A/C,....... and that's on all the time ;) 

Here's the status so far.........

Cowlsteerstructure3_zps413e792f.jpg

-

Img_0480_zps9458fb37.jpg

-

IMG_0511_zps5560e487.jpg