mrwrstory

Okay boys and girls, as promised I'm starting a build thread on the Dodge Red Ram Hemi.  I started on the project about 13 years ago and, as has happened before, got side-tracked.  For several years prior I thunk a Baby Hemi would be cool even 'tho I didn't have a car to put it in.  Managed to pick up a few engines real cheap,....like the most I ever spend was $300.00 for a D-500.  Most folks wanted a Chrysler.

So I got this stash of stuff and started buying parts and doing modifications and then,.... got the distractions.  Now I'm back on track and enjoying discovering where I left off and finding all the parts that are suddenly cool.  The engine is the biggest of the Red Rams at 325 cu. in.  Stock it had 9.2:1, a pretty aggressive cam and a 4 bbl.

Back in 2001, I did porting and polishing, block deburring, polished the rods and had the rotating assembly balanced.  Also made my own .09 copper exhaust gaskets for the headers I hope to build some day.

IMG_zpsfa59e00a.jpg

-

IMG_0004_zps4e83a1cc.jpg

-

IMG_0001_zps7d31fbf7.jpg

-

IMG_6455_zpsc4d0c070.jpg

-

IMG_6469_zpsc61dd4e5.jpg

-

Than all went quiet with the Hemi for about 12-13 years

Had to excuse myself for dinner...  

I should mention that the last two pics were just recently taken.  The unveiling of stuff I bought so long ago was cool.The other pics were scanned from snap shots before I got into the internet and digital pics.

The engine will have a Chevy water pump adapted.  That requires a modification of the timing cover which I started on several months ago.  This is stuff you can do that is very satisfying and doesn't cost any money.

-

IMG_1813_zps6f812833.jpg

-

IMG_1829_zps0ebc378d.jpg

-

IMG_1839_zps23d2820f.jpg

-

​The most recent activity was the resurrection and modification of a number of Rochester carbs for the Tri-Power.  That's an idea envisioned years ago.  It's always a challenge to get them to run right and so far I've had good luck.  They look pretty cool too, I think.  The cleaning project is illustrated in another OT thread.

IMG_5517_zpsb901f20c.jpg

-

IMG_6357_zps434ce4ad.jpg[/url

-

IMG_6364_zpsd7818b2d.jpg

-

IMG_6406a_zps71afe03f.jpg

-

Next I am going to experiment with patina finishes.  The color scheme will be black, warm metallic gray and a black and burnished bare metal patina.

I hope to provide sound of the start-up this summer. Progress updates will be provided as long as there is interest.

• Like 2

What mods have you done on the secondary carbs. It looked like you were running primary carbs as secondaries. I'm assuming an electric fuel pump with the timing cover mods. Yes, please post updates.

I have modified stock 2Gs to be secondaries by deleting/plugging any and all circuits that provide idle air or fuel.  The new secondaries have thicker and fitted throttle blades and no power valves. They are essentially replicas of true GM secondaries as used in 60s Tri-Powers.  I got the kit from Automotion Hot Rod Carbs at the turn of the century :o  along with much of the other stuff I am now using.

Yes, it'll require an electric fuel pump.   

Edited by mrwrstory

Hey Bill,

That looks GREAT!! Hope to hear it run and see it in person one day.

I'm going for the patina look for the valve covers, timing cover and headers.  While cleaning and prepping the oil pan for paint I stumbled onto a technique for developing a patina look for those parts.  After douching the oil pan with oven cleaner to remove all the baked on oil and crude, I got a golden film that I worried would inhibit paint attachment.  Local paint guy suggested baking the pan to purge the oven cleaner.  Result was a mix of gun-metal blue, black and bronze, all over the parent steel.  I like the look and 'tho the pan will be painted, I hope to reproduce the effect on other parts.

OVEN CLEANER

IMG_6483_zps66ff230b.jpg

BODY WORK REQUIRED

IMG_6485_zps48022686.jpg

IMG_6498_zpscd6ab682.jpg

THE PATINA EFFECT I'LL TRY TO REPRODUCE

IMG_6500_zpsd79bea1e.jpg

Nothin's easy,..... :huh: 

Was pattin myself on the back about how the front cover was progressing.  'Course soon's ya do it's,... doah!  :o 

The water pump adapter on the pass. side would not line up with the bolt holes, so I had to do more body work

on the timing cover.

IMG_6678_zps1063199a.jpg

-

IMG_6679_zpscf0a7f81.jpg

Got that resolved and now the water pump contacts the cover.  Gotta do about a 1/16' dimple where the arrows are.  Been dickin around with this hiccup for three days.  That store bought timing cover with integral waterpump adapter is looking better everyday.

Naw,............

IMG_6688_zps1e19cb2a.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory

Jus a littl' bit-a :D littl' bit more!

Finally resorted to amputating the offending interference.

IMG_6691_zps7514132b.jpg

-

It finally goes together and I can begin to visualize the routing of the coolant lines

and thermostat housing location.

IMG_6698_zps88a2b62c.jpg

-

IMG_6708_zpsa9b0d644.jpg

-

And indulge in fantasizing about how it will finally look  :lol: 

IMG_6717_zpsc261ea1d.jpg

Thanks, I'll check it out

what are you doing for the cross over "??  the one on my  motor was long gone,ide perfer the cast  iron cross over to the rubber  hose,,i recently seen one at a car show,didnt have my camera,,he made his self,,tublar pipe from a  after market  t stat housing out each side to the head ,,was simple,,

what are you doing for the cross over "??  the one on my  motor was long gone,ide perfer the cast  iron cross over to the rubber  hose,,i recently seen one at a car show,didnt have my camera,,he made his self,,tublar pipe from a  after market  t stat housing out each side to the head ,,was simple,,

As I recall, you have a 241.  That engine had an integral water pump, thermostat housing and motor mount.  I may have one for a 241.  If I do, you can have it for the price of shppg.

My plan for the 325 is to assemble a cross-over manifold and thermostat housing from parts I can make and/or buy, much like that shown in the attached pic.  Also, Hot Heads has a water cross-over and thermo housing but it has too much color and bling for my taste.

Finally, you may be interested in conversation going on, on another site,  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&gmid=711743#gmessage711743

post-3006-0-35473400-1396031097_thumb.jpg

As I recall, you have a 241.  That engine had an integral water pump, thermostat housing and motor mount.  I may have one for a 241.  If I do, you can have it for the price of shppg.

My plan for the 325 is to assemble a cross-over manifold and thermostat housing from parts I can make and/or buy, much like that shown in the attached pic.  Also, Hot Heads has a water cross-over and thermo housing but it has too much color and bling for my taste.

Finally, you may be interested in conversation going on, on another site,  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&gmid=711743#gmessage711743

yes  i do have a 241 dodge, if im not mistaken, the factory  cross over is seperate from the water pump,been a while since  i seen an  original  set up,,i have the hot heads timing cover and  gm  water pump,not my doin,,ide of kept the O,E set up, that way the water pump would be higher and in the middle of the radiator, with the  hot heads set up the fan  is at the bottom of the radiator,,in need of  help soon,,,  the made cross over  you pictured  ive seen others like it  i  perfer the  iron  cross over looks if  thats how the dodge is,,what do you have for a 241 ?? and thank you for your reply,,,  pm me or e mail me if you like,,thanks  don  fstfish66@aol.com