Robert's Armrests on a 52?

I have them in my truck. You'll have to drill one hole to attach them as they are about an inch shorter than stock units. They work OK, but I would rather have original style armrests. The Roberts ones have a plastic base. I broke the passenger side one this past summer when a passenger got out of the truck and it looked as though the door didn't fully latch. I reached over and gave the arm rest a tug to latch the door and the mounting ears broke off. I was left holding the arm rest, now detached from the door. I was able to hold it in place with some Scotch tape for the show, but now I need another one. I don't know if I want to get another one of those though. I've got a couple original style, but they need to be reupholstered. I might see if I can have them done over the winter.

Merle

Plastic?  :(  That isn't what I would have expected. Maybe that is why they are a bit on the rare side?

I had originally thought I might make my own from wood ....... and maybe that is not such a bad idea. I could even turn a matching shift knob and maybe make a couple of other cab organizer accessories I have been toying with. These cabs are sort of small and if it is going to be a daily driver some "improvements" may be necessary. I already know I want to make a cross bed box that I can throw some stuff into and lock up.

Jeff

yes, It will be noted to ANYONE who rides with me the armrests are for arm resting not pulling the door closed...they are toooooo rare to have someone trashe them.

Remember, there is a difference in the width of the mounting holes!!!!   B1 and B2 trucks are about an inch wider than the B3 and B4 trucks.

Jeff,

Poke around wrecking yards with a tape measure. Late forties and early fifties MoPar cars will work.

Early fifties Desoto:

post-2585-0-67789600-1383589347_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm all for customizing these small details, as these trucks are purty basic...each arm rest was optional, as was the passenger visor, rear view mirror, heater--stuff we take for granted these days as standard equipment on newer trucks.  I've seen center consoles made for cupholders, storage etc.  I saw a truck in a magazine once that looked like he used the center console from a customized Astro van and whittled it down so it fit up against the firewall.  That truck had a modern axle with parking brakes, and he had mounted the parking brake handle (out of a 60s D100 I think) on the driver side kick panel area.  It was a clean look, and very user friendly, and the exterior of the truck looked almost stock.  If'n yer gonna drive the truck every day and yer not worried about losing points at some originality contest, why not make it to your liking?  It's nice to tell folks that are eyeballin' yer buggy what the original stuff was on it, but it's also nice to be able to grab something to slam the door shut on a windy day, as well as have something comfortable to lean on during a Sunday drive.  Life is too short to depend on a flimsy arm rest  :cool:

Wow thats a far cry from the 39-47 armrests. The OEM ones for these are steel with 2 tabs that slip into the door above the armrest and then 2 screws under it.

Remember, there is a difference in the width of the mounting holes!!!!   B1 and B2 trucks are about an inch wider than the B3 and B4 trucks.

Jeff,

Poke around wrecking yards with a tape measure. Late forties and early fifties MoPar cars will work.

Early fifties Desoto:

In that case maybe the Roberts ones will fit the later models. Mine is a B2

Wow thats a far cry from the 39-47 armrests. The OEM ones for these are steel with 2 tabs that slip into the door above the armrest and then 2 screws under it.

That's how my door is set up. It has the notch above the holes for the tabs you reference.

I think you're right.

Stock truck arm rests should have a 'tab' that goes up inside the door.

I'd disagree,  I think it is a year thing just like the bolt spacing.  FEF's doors have no slot for a tab to go into, but the 48-50 door I got this weekend does.

:confused: I am bit confused about this mounting detail.....mine is covered up right now by upholstery.....but I kinda remember seeing two screw holes and 2 tab holes.....and these are 52 doors for certain.

I am sure not inclined to put plastic ones on..... either original or reproductions after hearing your comments. I reckon it is going to get some custom wood ones instead. That is ok....I wasn't too sure about the ergonomics of the stock mounting location in the first place. It didn't seem to be it the right spot for me when I looked at it a while back.

Jeff

I've had the stock plastic arm rests on my 1952 PU forever- bought it in 1973 and my truck has been used as a truck hard-to haul stuff. I have yet to break the plastic factory arm rests. If they break easily they are not good to begin with-probably old and brittle.

Bob

Mine (B-2) have the clips and car armrest rests that I got from Kev.....they do work, and look great. 

48D

Edited by 48dodger

:confused: I am bit confused about this mounting detail.....mine is covered up right now by upholstery.....but I kinda remember seeing two screw holes and 2 tab holes.....and these are 52 doors for certain.

I am sure not inclined to put plastic ones on..... either original or reproductions after hearing your comments. I reckon it is going to get some custom wood ones instead. That is ok....I wasn't too sure about the ergonomics of the stock mounting location in the first place. It didn't seem to be it the right spot for me when I looked at it a while back.

Jeff

you might be thinking of the two slots that you use to put the J-nut in with, those are vertical and not horizontal tho.  If you want I can take some pics tonight of the two different doors.

you might be thinking of the two slots that you use to put the J-nut in with, those are vertical and not horizontal tho.  If you want I can take some pics tonight of the two different doors.

Hey Mark;

Having some photos here of the different arrangment along with what the proper armrest looks like on the mounting side would probably be helpful to several people.

Like the hood bumper thread there seems to be some confusion on some of these items that chaged during the different years.

I know I never even considered that these armrests would be made of plastic. This seems very out of character for these trucks and the time in which they were built.

Jeff

I made mine out of mahogany and aluminum angle scrap from a job at Jefferson Davis' home in Biloxi MS. Didn't use a good enough glue, so I need to redo them.

armrest_zpsb83276a2.jpg

Plan to scale them down to stock size, as the long set was originally going in my 58 D300 flatbed. Sure wish I still had the 315/4spd that were in the 58... Door shown is a 49.

Edited by Scruffy49

Plastic?  :(  That isn't what I would have expected. Maybe that is why they are a bit on the rare side?

I had originally thought I might make my own from wood ....... and maybe that is not such a bad idea. I could even turn a matching shift knob and maybe make a couple of other cab organizer accessories I have been toying with. These cabs are sort of small and if it is going to be a daily driver some "improvements" may be necessary. I already know I want to make a cross bed box that I can throw some stuff into and lock up.

Jeff

What kind of wood? My next set will likely also be mahogany, I have a bunch of instrument grade blocks for fiddle necks, and I'm tone deaf... Been working on one fiddle for probably 5 years now. :(

Oh, VW Super Beetle armrests are pretty close... cover the factory mounts and for a driver truck, say good enough.

Edited by Scruffy49

Scruffy;

Walnut perhaps......got a bunch extra from a job last year. I already did the bed with it and I will probably use it for the 'cross the bed' box I want to make.

Keep everything matching that way. These cabs are sort of smallish.......and there are a few things I think would make nice additions for day to day use.

Jeff

the arm rest holes in a 51+ door.  Standard was the plastic arm rest.  I'm sure they have brittled with age, but plastic WAS starting to be used at this point in manufacturing.

20131105_104141_zpsa049e717.jpg

hole pattern in the 48-50 door, has slots for a metal tab it seems.

20131105_104306_zps25b18ae1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of arm rests turn up in the post today (see attached photos). I found it interesting that the metal mounting bases were painted in accordance with the arm rest color (red with red and brown with brown). I am not sure what these arm rests come off, but I presume an older vehicle than my 52 truck because of the metal mounting bases. The measurement between mounting holes is almost spot on 6 inches. I haven't seen mounting holes in any of the Oz truck doors that I have come across yet. I may end up refurbishing both of them (brown) and eventually installing them in my 52 truck.

post-3915-0-35197300-1384778136_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-01797600-1384778146_thumb.jpg