Floor Panels

I'm (very slowly) working on a 1950 Pilothouse.  The removable floor panels are almost completely rusted out.  I'm sure this is a fairly common problem, so what is the best solution?  Are replacements available or do most guys just fab something?  I don't have access to any real sheet metal equipment like brakes and shears.

• Like 1

I sliced out the rot with a Dremel and zapped new pieces in with a cheapo 110v flux core welder. Messy but effective. If my pans had been totally gone, I'd have cut new pieces from marine grade plywood and called it good. Or hammered a road sign to shape over a chunk of 4x4 or landscape timber.

Where are you located? Maybe there is a forum member kind of close to you with a parts junker and an extra set.

I sliced out the rot with a Dremel and zapped new pieces in with a cheapo 110v flux core welder. Messy but effective. If my pans had been totally gone, I'd have cut new pieces from marine grade plywood and called it good. Or hammered a road sign to shape over a chunk of 4x4 or landscape timber.

and if that did not work out good for you, just cut two grooves in it and call it an ashtray...

Where are you located? Maybe there is a forum member kind of close to you with a parts junker and an extra set.

most of these cars have some amount of rot in them and pretty much any parts car the panels are probably not going to be worth harvesting..source new repops or make your own repair pieces by hand...full perimeter weld will add strength..welded metal panels will benefit you now and be a value added item if for some reason you should have to sell.

What? My 32 Ford has wood in the floors, from the factory. It isn't what I'd consider optimal, but it works. Actually transfers less heat into the passenger compartment than a metal floor does. And it's quieter.

Ash tray? No smoking in the PH, it doesn't have flame resistant/retardant upholstery. And I'm pretty sure a tank seam is letting go, the smell of varnished gas has gotten pretty strong the last couple of years.

Whatever it takes to fix it Wolfman will be worth it in the end. Some of my happiest days were when I last had my grandpa's 49 B1B-108 running and driving. Mine is in the early stages of clean and paint the under carriage, replace the rear axle/brakes and rebuild a bigger/newer L6 right now. It's a money pit, but, keeps me happy tinkering with it. Wish I'd repainted it 19 years ago when I pulled it out of the barn it had sat in for 20 years, would be in much better condition.

Use the panels you  have for patterns.  Cut off wheels in a hand grinder, some drill bits to make round corners and you can get a reasonable replica.  A lot of the bead work is for strength so the next heavier gauge steel will help if you cna't put beads in.  I use lengths of angle iron clamped to panels as a guide fence for longer and more precise cuts.   Clamping 2 angle irons together in a vise makes some bends possible.  No one repops these yet that I'm aware of.  I think there are also some slight differences in these panels between years.

Bob;

If someone here is offering you a set in good shape I would advise you to take them up on the offer. Even if you had metal working skills like the guy in the thread above....it would be a far amount of work and time to make a set. I feel certain your time would be better spent on things other than making these. I have seen pretty decent looking ones on Ebay from time to time as well.

Just my take on it for what it is worth.

Jeff

• Like 1

Bob;

If someone here is offering you a set in good shape I would advise you to take them up on the offer. Even if you had metal working skills like the guy in the thread above....it would be a far amount of work and time to make a set. I feel certain your time would be better spent on things other than making these. I have seen pretty decent looking ones on Ebay from time to time as well.

Just my take on it for what it is worth.

Jeff

I concur, take the man up on His offer and be done with it....PS  that Guy on the hamb ain't your average old car fixer, that be some skilled labor going on there, most of us ain't never gonna be that....

I wasn't saying he shouldn't take up the offer. Just wanted him to see that if you have the desire & some skill, you can do it, & Laid-Out's work is a Great Example!

Those are some pretty amazing fab skills, i wish i was that good.

Check your messages ggdad1951.  I may be interested in your offer.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and ideas.  This board has been an immense help in learning about my truck.  I would not have attempted this project without this outstanding resource.

I'm (very slowly) working on a 1950 Pilothouse.  The removable floor panels are almost completely rusted out.  I'm sure this is a fairly common problem, so what is the best solution?  Are replacements available or do most guys just fab something?  I don't have access to any real sheet metal equipment like brakes and shears.

Just to let you know if you have a salvage yard near you, ask them if they have any damaged hoods I like truck hoods but if they have one with damage like on the corner would be something they can't sale.

I have found that there is a lot of flat metal that works well for panels and patching small areas to.

The price is cheep as most yards will sale you a hood for scrap and Home Depot have 23x36 /24 gage sheets but we are talking 10 bucks a sheet and it don't go very far and for the cost. 

I also use a 2x4 block and my hammer to make shapes just get inventive channel iron or angle under the peace of metal you are working and you can make most shapes they might not be the best looking but then who is going to see the floor after you cover it. 

Another good source is your local body shop. Any hood with a ding is likely to be replaced rather than repaired. Typically they just throw them away.

Just to let you know if you have a salvage yard near you, ask them if they have any damaged hoods I like truck hoods but if they have one with damage like on the corner would be something they can't sale.

I have found that there is a lot of flat metal that works well for panels and patching small areas to.

The price is cheep as most yards will sale you a hood for scrap and Home Depot have 23x36 /24 gage sheets but we are talking 10 bucks a sheet and it don't go very far and for the cost. 

I also use a 2x4 block and my hammer to make shapes just get inventive channel iron or angle under the peace of metal you are working and you can make most shapes they might not be the best looking but then who is going to see the floor after you cover it. 

There are floor panels for sale on FleaBay currently. Not too cheap though. I didn't save the search :wub: