engine RPM

i think the stock redline is about 3600, they sound like their coming apart at only about 1800, but 3000 is the "safe line" as i would call it. i got a tachometer out of a p51-mustang on my truck! all electronic, run off the points once you make some circuitry. it's called a weston AC-42 tach. top speed:3500 redline:2800-2900. search "tachometer" in the search bar here, and you may find some helpful postings

Edited by 41/53dodges

i think the stock redline is about 3600, they sound like their coming apart at only about 1800, but 3000 is the "safe line" as i would call it. i got a tachometer out of a p51-mustang on my truck! all electronic, run off the points once you make some circuitry. it's called a weston AC-42 tach. top speed:3500 redline:2800-2900. search "tachometer" in the search bar here, and you may find some helpful postings

Do you have a schematic for the tach by chance?

Do you have a schematic for the tach by chance?

I believe for a the tach you'd hook up to the coil and battery for it's circut?

Hand held tach-dwell meters are dist side of coil and ground. Dash, steering collum (spelling?), hood mounted will have specific directions according to manufacturer. Usually 3 or 4 wire, black to ground, red to bat side of coil, green to dist side of coil and fourth wire for a light is so equipped. Pos ground and 6V may not be compatible with the tach itself.

the HP rpm is 3600, any thing north of that is basically wasted due to piston speed losses, any thing from 2800 to 3300 is all day cruising.

Factory pulled random engines for bench testing, running them for 50 hours at 3600 rpm.

So if you figure 3600 is 70 mph, thats 3500 miles worth of testing. Wonder if after the test they went back to the assy line???

the HP rpm is 3600, any thing north of that is basically wasted due to piston speed losses, any thing from 2800 to 3300 is all day cruising.

Factory pulled random engines for bench testing, running them for 50 hours at 3600 rpm.

So if you figure 3600 is 70 mph, thats 3500 miles worth of testing. Wonder if after the test they went back to the assy line???

Actually it was a little tougher than that: The 50 hour test was at max BHP, so it was at wide open throttle with enough load on the dynometer to keep it at 3600 RPM. So that was 3500 miles of running uphill at 70 MPH...

Greg maybe that explains the engines that got a * in the serial number and came factory oversized?

serial number? ;)

You'll just have to drive it enough to wear out the one you put in and then you can rebuild a proper block

that block already cost $1000 with its repairs! I think a stamp or engraved or not worrying about it is a more propper response!

Ed, do you have documentation that the Star inclusion in the engine number is an indicatio of a factory overbore??? and if so what was it size wise??? I believe my current enign from a p28 has two stars in the number.

I believe I read it in a plymouth bulletin way back. I think it wasn't always an overbore too some of them had standard bores but undersized crank or rod bearings. It makes sense they would do that rather than tossing perfectly useable parts.

Just wondered what RPM most of you fell comfortable with you flatheads cruising on the highway? I am thinking of putting a tach on my '46 ut really don't know what to look for in the RPM range.

Two of my trucks were set up with 25" engine's and a 3.0 rear end with P235 75R15 tires(26.5"diam.). I could cruise all day long at 65 mph while according to the rpm calculators turning~ 2500 rpm. I have installed new tires (28.5" diam.) on my present truck with this drive train and can now travel down the road at 65 mph while the engine is only turning ~2300. I'm not sure how good my engine feels at this rpm but I know I feel good.