Personal car talk, is it good for the hobby?

Bruce48D24

How many miles to the gallon,or ,if they are particularly humourous,how many gallons to the mile.Also ,when are you going to repaint it?

If only they knew the amount of effort to keep the original paint on the car....not to mention the amount of wax!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been able to drive my Chrysler just yet, so I don't have any stories on that one. I've had my share of comments just like those stated when driving my 69 Roadrunner.

But, the best story I have isn't about my car. Twenty six years ago, we gave my parents a 50th anniversary party. We hired a local guy to pick them up with his 1927 Rolls Royce to take them to the hall where we were having the party. The Rolls owner was showing off the car a little to everyone and my uncle, who had been an auto mechanic all his life and never minced words, asked "How much is this worth" The Rolls owner said "Everyone asks that question.. I could say this or that, but really the answer is whatever I can sell the car for tomorrow"

I do get the "what kind of gas milage do you get" question a lot.

Also get the "is it for sale?" I always say sure everything is for sale if the price is right. Make me an offer and I will let you know if you are even close. Who knows one of these days I may get one of those fools with a fat bank account and I can start on another one.

My Windsor is to new to me to have ,ay odd comments but there are two that I do get when I go out in my Fiero. "Those things catch fire.". Less than one tenth of one percent of the 84 model had engine fires. When I am in the Opel GT I get "Those are a poor man's 'vet." to which I respond that the code name for the vet when it was being developed was "Project Opel."

My car is still in project stage, it's parked down by my basement. I live on a back road but it leads to a popular boat dock and lake access. Sometimes people stop to ask if my car is for sale. I don't mind as long as they're polite and friendly. Can't blame them, I love old cars too. One stands out in my mind that peed me off. We had a break in, and I was repairing the front door. From where it had been kicked in. While I was on the front porch working on the door a guy pulls in and drives right up to my car. Gets out like he owns the place and walks around it checking it out. I walk down from the porch and ask if I could help him. He jumps in his truck and leaves...but runs over my trash can slinging trash everywhere. He stops because my trash can is hung under his bumper. He gets out all smiles asking about my car. I wont tell you the end of the story, too much profanity.

Wow! I can picture the encounter from your description and also the dialogue that followed...

At a local car show a few years ago, there was a Stanley Steamer. The owner was driving it around, and it drew a lot of attention. One of the observers asked the owner how much money he had in it. The owner got really annoyed and made some really nasty comments to the guy asking the question. To the point that the guy asking the question became very embarrassed, and a lot of the folks watching the whole episode were angered. Maybe the question was inappropriate, but the owner of the Stanley Steamer was a total jerk. I think being rude to people who are innocently curious about your car is just plain wrong. Better to just say “Too Much Money” or some other humorous comment, rather than try to make an a$$ out of someone.. Just my opinion.:eek:

The absolutely most deflating question I was ever asked was whether I had purchased my '41 when it was new.

Jim Yergin

I had a question pretty much the same on my 1941 ; " Are you the original owner ? " I just said that the truck was older than me .

I enjoy most everyones interest and hearing their stories. The one thing that ever really bothers me is that once in a while some one will actually argue with me about what year it is. One woman is probably still convinced that i don't realize my P-15 is from 1938!

You need to keep in mind that some questions that strike you as dumb but coming from someone that's not into old cars they make perfect sense.

I try to have patience.

My best answers:

What's it worth?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it!

or

To me or to you?

What year is my P15?

46, 47 or 48, they're all the same!

Close enough for the public anyway.

I enjoy most everyones interest and hearing their stories. The one thing that ever really bothers me is that once in a while some one will actually argue with me about what year it is. One woman is probably still convinced that i don't realize my P-15 is from 1938!

Had a guy argye w/ me that mine was a '34 because it has suicide doors.

"Thank you for enlightening me, after 15 years in the family, and countless trouble-free parts purchases, it is so good to meet an expert that informs me that my title is wrong."

This is something I'm not looking forward to once I get my car on the road. As it is, my car is somewhat visible when I roll it out of the garage to work on it and since it now actually looks like a car, people notice. I've had only two comments, both of them recent. One guy asked me if it was a Ford and some little kid who was walking by with his Mom said, "I think it's a Chevy."

That thing got a hemi?:D

Hi Lane,

I was away from the computer for the weekend. No, it does not have a Hemi, just a 318. I guess so many people think that I would sell it cheap because the paint is shot. But it is almost all original and has never been in an accident and has about 375,000 miles on it. I'm just saving up my money to rebuild the motor (I have a 440 that I'm considering, or rebuild a 360) and get a good paint job.

The comment I get the most on my 29 dodge is "Wow are those real wooden wheels?"

On my 48 Dodge they usually say "My dad had one just like it." Questions like these are O.K.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce48D24
spelling

I get tired of answering "did you do all the work yourself"? Well like a lot of us I did 80% of the work myself but I farmed out a few things like engine rebuild, rear fender straighting, seat cover, etc. So after I go into details it's like I should have just said no, I bought it this way.