Happy Veterans Day OT

Don Coatney

yesterday at the swap meet I had a few keyrings for veterans of certain eras..I did not see any WWII vets, nor was there a Korean vet that I spotted..but there was this one Vietnam vet with the hat on..I called him over and gave him the key ring..he walked away with it in his hands looking at it..about 10 minutes later..he came walking back, introduced himself and thanked me for the keyring..said it was the last thing he had ever expected to happen to him on Veteran day..that some one remembered..

US Army 72-75

US Air Force Reserves 86-03 (retired)

DOD in support of our military commumincations and weapon systems...1977 and still

counting....

• 1 year later...

Veterans day is drawing near. My thanks to all veterans. Here is a list of places that do special things for veterans on veterand day.

2013 Veterans Day Offerings
2013 Veterans Day Restaurant Offerings:

Applebees - Veterans and active duty military receive a free meal from a limited menu, on Veterans Day, Monday, Nov. 11.

Bar Louie - On Sunday, Nov. 10 and Monday, Nov. 11, all Bar Louie locations are offering veterans and military personnel a free meal up to a $12 value.

California Pizza Kitchen - Veterans and active military receive a free pizza on Monday, Nov. 11.

Champps -- On Monday, Nov. 11, Champps will offer a free handcrafted burger with waffle fries to veterans and active duty military.

Charlie Brown's Steakhouse - Charlie Brown's is offering a free meal to veterans and active duty military all day on Monday, Nov. 11.

Chili's - Veterans and active duty can get a free entrée all day from a special limited menu on Monday, Nov. 11.

Cheeseburger in Paradise - Veterans and military personnel receive a free All American Burger with fries on Monday, Nov. 11 with the beverage purchase of $1.99.

Denny's -- Active, inactive and retired military personnel can get free all you can eat pancakes on Veterans Day nationwide.

FATZ - Veterans and active duty military can enjoy a free entrée at FATZ, up to a $15 value. Veterans who dine at FATZ on November 11 will also receive a $2 coupon for use on their next visit.

Friendly's - Veterans and active military receive a free Big Two Do Breakfast and coffee on Monday, Nov. 11.

Golden Corral - Golden Corral is offering a free dinner on Monday Nov. 11, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Military retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard and Reserves are all welcome.

Hooters -Veterans and active duty military receive a free meal on Monday, Nov. 11.

Hoss's Family Steak & Sea House - Veterans eat for free on Monday, Nov. 11 from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Krispy Kreme - Krispy Kreme stores are offering a free doughnut and small coffee on Monday, Nov. 11 when presenting a military ID or wearing a uniform.

Little Caesars - Veterans and active military members get a free order of Crazy Bread on Monday, Nov. 11.

Max and Erma's - On Monday, Nov. 11, participating Max & Erma's locations are saluting veterans and active military personnel with a free Best Cheeseburger in America Combo meal.

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants - On Sunday, November 10, participating McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants will offer a complimentary entree to vets from a special menu.

Menchi's -- All veterans will receive a free 6 oz. frozen yogurt on Monday, Nov. 11.

O'Charley's - Veterans and active duty service members get a complimentary meal from a limited menu on Monday, Nov. 11.

Olive Garden - On Monday, Nov. 11, all veterans and current service members get a free meal from a limited menu. Family dining with them will also receive 10% off their meal.

On the Border - Veterans and active duty military can enjoy a free meal from the "Create Your Own Combo menu" on Monday, Nov. 11.

Paciugo Gelato Caffè - Paciugo is offering a free 12 oz. Gelatte® to veterans and active duty military on Monday, Nov. 11 at participating locations.

Red Robin - Veterans and active duty military get a free Tavern Double Burger and Bottomless Steak Fries on Monday, Nov. 11.

Shoney's -- Shoney's will be offering a free All-American Burger to veterans and active duty servicemembers on Monday, Nov. 11.

Sizzler - Sizzler is offering active duty and retired military members a free lunch from a limited menu on Monday, Nov. 11 until 4 p.m.

Spaghetti Warehouse - On Sunday, Nov. 10 and Monday, Nov. 11, choose one original spaghetti entrée or 15-layer lasagna and get the second entrée free. This deal requires a coupon, which is available starting Nov. 6 at the Spaghetti Warehouse website, the Facebook page, and can be presented from a mobile phone.

Texas Roadhouse - Texas Roadhouse locations nationwide will offer veterans a free lunch on Monday, Nov. 11 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Offer is good for active duty, retired or former U.S. military.

TGIFridays - Veterans and active duty military get a free lunch from a select menu on Monday, Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Tucanos Brazilian Grill -- Active duty, reserve and retired military and veterans receive a free Churrasco meal on Monday, Nov. 11. They are also offering 10% off the entire bill for veterans and troops who dine with their families, from Friday, Nov. 8 through Veteran's Day, Monday, Nov. 11.

Travel Centers of America -- On Monday, Nov. 11, all CDL drivers who are military veterans eat free at participating full-service restaurants.

Village Inn - All veterans and active military personnel receive a free breakfast on Monday, Nov. 11. Choose between Buttermilk Pancakes, Belgian Waffle, or French Toast.

2013 Veterans Day Travel and Recreation:

Knotts Berry Farm - Knott's Berry Farm is offering free admission for veterans and active duty military personnel and one guest from November 4, 2013 to January 5, 2014.

National Parks - On Veterans Day weekend (Nov. 9-11) veterans will have access to over 100 National Parks that require entrance fees for free.

Red Roof Inn - Red Roof Inn is offering 15% off at more than 350 properties nationwide in the month of November to veterans, active duty military and their families.

Sea World Parks and Entertainment - Veterans and active duty military can get 50% off single-day admission tickets through Nov.11, 2013.

World of Coca-Cola -- Military members receive complimentary admission year-round, but in honor of Veterans Day they also may purchase up to four half-price tickets for their friends and family Nov. 9-17.

2013 Veterans Day Retailer Offerings:

Bed Bath and Beyond - Bed Bath and Beyond is offering veterans 20% off their entire purchase on Nov. 9, 10, and 11. This is good for active duty, DoD, reserves, guard, retirees, veterans, and military spouses.

Grace for Vets - Car washes from around the world who join this program offer free car washes to veterans and service members on Nov. 11.

Great Clips - On Monday, Nov. 11, customers who come in for a service can get a free haircut card to give to their favorite veteran. Veterans can also receive a free haircut or get the free haircut card. Haircuts are redeemable until Dec. 31.

Home Depot - Home Depot offers a 10% discount to all veterans during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day. Home Depot offers the 10% discount year round to for active duty and retirees.

Lowe's - All veterans receive a 10% discount on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The offer is available in stores only.

Massage Envy - Participating Massage Envy locations in the Washington DC, Maryland, and northern Virginia region are offering a complimentary 1-hour massage to active military, veterans and spouses on Monday, Nov. 11.

Sport Clips - Participating locations are offering veterans and active duty service members free haircuts on Monday, Nov. 11.

Other:

America's Parade - Veterans are invited to march in this New York City parade on Nov. 11.

Medal of Honor Stamps -- The U.S. Postal Service will issue special Medal of Honor stamps on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.

Year-Round Veterans Discounts:

Foot Locker - Veterans, service members (active, guard, and reserve), and their immediate families with a Foot Locker Veterans Advantage Card receive a 20% discount every day of the year. That offer is good both online and at any store location, including Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction and Champs Sports - even on sale items.

Home Depot - Home Depot offers a 10% discount (up to a $500 maximum) to all active military, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID. All other veterans qualify for a 10% discount during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day.

Lowe's - Lowe's offers a year-round 10% discount offer for all active duty, National Guard and Reserve, retirees and disabled servicemembers and their immediate families. All other veterans receive the 10% discount on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The discount is available on in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000. The offer can't be used on sales at Lowes.com, on previous sales or on sales of services or gift cards. You must present a valid military I.D. card to receive the discount.

The difference between the respect given to both serving and former military in todays society compared to when I first joined in Dec 1973 just astounds me.  Extremely proud to be an American and to have served her.

1973 - 1978 USMC CO B MarSupBat Edzell Scotland

1986 - 2003 US Army  First Sergeant retired.

Me:                                  Brother:              Dad:                                    Uncle:                               Uncle x2:          Uncle:     Uncle(d):

USN NMCB133                 USN CVN72       USA 25th Infantry                 USMC Force Recon         USN                  USAF     USMC

BUCN (E3)                        SH3                    Spec 4 personnel/E.O.D.    RVN                                  RVN                  RVN       RVN

94-96                               93-98                 Cu Chi RVN

Father in law:             Wife's grandfather(d):        Wife's grandfather(d):        Brother in law (d):

USN LST pilot             USN                               USMC                            USN AE3

QM2                           WW1                              WW1                             RVN

1943-46

Between the batch there are 15 Purple Hearts and 2 Bronze Stars. (d) is deceased.Most of us have some form of service connected disability.

Sgt Hendricks, Jonathan P

U.S. Army 2006-2010 (active)

2010-present (U.S. Army Reserve)

2nd Ranger Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment, Infantryman/Grenadier Iraq 2006-2007

Attack Co. 2-1 Infantry 5th Stryker Brigade 2nd Infantry Division, Infantry Fire Team Leader/Long Range Marksman Afghanistan 2009-2010

D Co 3/414 Infantry LDAC. ROTC Instructor

Sgt Hendricks, Jonathan P

U.S. Army 2006-2010 (active)

2010-present (U.S. Army Reserve)

2nd Ranger Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment, Infantryman/Grenadier Iraq 2006-2007

Attack Co. 2-1 Infantry 5th Stryker Brigade 2nd Infantry Division, Infantry Fire Team Leader/Long Range Marksman Afghanistan 2009-2010

D Co 3/414 Infantry LDAC. ROTC Instructor

So you're at Fort "Screw This"... grew up in Spanaway/Graham... ;)

LOL yep...but it is now "Joint Base Lewis McChord" I guess the Air Force decided "If you can't beat em, join em!" Hahaha...just a little jab at you Chair Force fellas... :)

The picture of my car on this post was taken at the WWII re-enactment weekend at the Reading Spatts Aifiedl in reading PA.

The event is held in June to coinside with the D-Day rememberance.  They bring in the old war planes and there are re-enactment camps of all the various campaigns.

We do get a gathering of WWII veterans that return for the event and when I see a Veteran i alwasy walk up to them and thank them for their service.  Most of them say it was their pleasure to serve.  My dad, served inthe Navy and was assigned to radar.  I still have his duffle bag, uniform, picture of his ship and his training manual.

I show these at the event.  Less we not forget what these young men did to defend our country at that time.  The younger generation does not know what they did and the sacrificew they gave for this great county.  When you see a current member of our armed forces say thank you and shake their hand, they appreciate it but they wil not make a big deal of it.

Raise your America Flag and fly it with Pride for the rest of the world to see.

My daughters competitive marching band is doing a salute to JFK this year sinc e it is the 50th year since 1963. I lived throught that event.  We have a flag lowering in the show and the older crowd really gets into the show and we get alot of complements about the show. We have two snipets in the show, the Ask not what from his innaguations speech and the snipet abound why we went to the moon not because it is easy but because it is hard.

Stand Proud if your are a Veteran or have a Son or Daughter that has Served or is currently Serving.

Rich HArtung

1966, the NVA gave him some mortar fragments for his 21st birthday. Sub-unit? No idea, he was with the 25th out of Schofield Barracks, by 68 he was at Schenectady (spelling ?) NY. His best friend was a KIA corpman with the 25th at CuChi, they grew up together in Puyallup WA. If there was a bunch of Olympia Beer related "junk" floating around CuChi still when you were there, thank those 2.

The same 2 that kept "borrowing" duece and a halfs and swiping gravel from the engineers.

Edited by Scruffy49

I was lucky to serve in the United States Coast Guard between peace actions or whatever?  I almost shipped over as I was an engerman with knowledge of how to operate an 82 footer.  But I was girl crazy and got out after four years but the ironic thing was that the boat I would probably have served on over in Viet Nam was strafed by an American Airforce jet.  Two coast guard personel were killed in this action and sometimes I think I was with an inch of sighing back up and going to a place that I did not even know existed.  Anyway Monday I'm going to make a special effort to go over to the Vets retirement home and just visit with some of the old gentlemen that make that place there home. Jon

imagesCAKX7YV4_zps2b0cf5ff.jpg

I just want to thank all you vets and also my oldest son.

He joined last month and was Sweared into the Army on October 10th and will report to Fort Sill as soon as he graduates next May --then on to Fort Huachuca,Arizona for his AIT Training.

Here is a video I took of his Swearing in Ceremony

• Like 3

I would like to takes Applebee's for the great lunch and remembering the vets!  I went to a ceremony with probably over a 1000  people there and I was quite moved with the turnout and the speeches.  Nice to see that all the vets are finally getting recognized for their service for our country.  Jon

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Veterans Day November 11, 2014.

Don Coatney

US Army 1966-1968

Vietnam Veteran

Once again time to thank all Veterans for there service. Below is a listing of establishments that support and say thanks to Veterans by offering free meals and other benefits. Check your local area as there may be more.

http://militarybenefits.info/veterans-day-discounts-sales-deals-free-meals/

• Like 2

Roll Call, formation on the street......stand tall Vets...thanks to each and all

retired with 32+ years combined active and reserve  also retired 37 + years service to the military Army, Navy, Air Force..

US Army 31J20-B3-34D-R9-AUTODIN-DIN/DSSCS-DSTE tech
US Air Force Reserves data analyst
US Air Force Reserves electronic counter measures quality control

civilian, Fire Control (weapon systems US Navy) communications US Navy then back to Fire control, finished my career in the Electronic Warfare Branch of the US Air Force..

It was a very interesting and fun time...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2