1949 Carburetor

Klewis

I’m sure this has been asked a million times by now but here we go. I presently traded my bike for a 1949 Special Deluxe Coupe. The car runs and drives fine and is all stock except front manual disc brakes and the wheels and tires. I plan on keeping it 6v but do have a 6v pertronix setup for it, but am waiting to replace the Bell B&B carb. first with something more reliable any ideas?

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum. Do you mean the stock Carter B&B? As far as I know, any modern alternatives will require an adapter, which is not necessarily available. Is something wrong with your current ignition and carburetor setup? Why would you consider it to be not very reliable? If it is working, I assume that there are probably plenty of other things to care care of, on a "new" car :)

Also, what kind of bike did you trade? And please post some pictures of the car.

My 49 has a Bendix-Stromberg BXUV-3 which was the after-market carburetor for the car. 
It is period correct for collectors. I have found them on eBay NOS.

I have had very good service from it and can recommend them.

They have the fuel inlet on the side so they are much better on a dual carb manifold.

Otherwise they are a direct replacement ( if you find a new one it will have the required 90 degree fitting in the box. The box label identifies the cars they will fit ).

That would be my first choice.

You can get new manufacture carburetors which will work fine but they are around $360.

The Carter is a good reliable carb that is fairly easy to rebuild.  In the downloads section of this web site there is a step by step with pictures on doing a rebuild kit on the Carter.  There has been discussion on float setting lower then spec as an adjustment to avoid percolation of current fuel blends.  Some folks have had good service from the Holley carb used on the 225 cu in slant six and larger 60s Ford 6 cylinder.  Not the 170/200 Mustang/Falcon stuff. These have an externally adjustable main jet.  Most of these will fit the manifold stud spacing.  The linkage might need tweaking as to direction of pull.

After a rebuild some years ago and a refresh it was determined that the B&B on my 52 Cranbrook needed more work than I wanted to do. I purchased a kit from Langdons(which I don’t think is available anymore) using an adapter and a new Empi two barrel carb.  Easy switch even the linkage went great despite the instructions saying it needed welding.  I think if I had it to do again I might get a carb one size bigger but for my uses(rarely over 55 or 60 mph and gentle acceleration) it does the job nicely.  I have stayed with points and condenser after tales of module failure when you least expect it.  

19 hours ago, Klewis said:

...... a 1949 Special Deluxe Coupe. The car runs and drives fine...... 

OK, your new ride runs and drives fine.....why change the carb?? If it is happy now it'll probably be good for a long time. These are reliable cars when in good driver condition. 

Beautiful car, looks identical to my '48. Mine still has the original carb and ignition, it hasn't failed me for 4+ years of frequent cruising, often 30+ miles at a time. 

Edited by Sam Buchanan

6 hours ago, Klewis said:

Yes everything works, but I am wanting it to be almost a daily driver.

If the rest of the car is still stock, I would not worry about the carb and points too much. Just carry some obvious spare parts in the trunk with you, and you should be good to go with just the basic service\maintenance. There are plenty of other things that can immobilize you on the road with higher odds... Coolant hoses, brakes, fuel pump, ignition coil, main fuse, etc. :)

23 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

Beautiful car! That’s a first series 49. Mopar continued the 46-48 bodies into early 49. 

Yeppers. That a p17 49 and that thing is sweet. Dive into the forums pertronix postings.