2024 Mopar Season Began Today

keithb7

Got the trickle charger on to do start up.  Gotta wait for a goodly rain to wash off the last of the residual road salt off.  They just applied a bunch of brine and rock salt in advance of the last nor Easter that didn't materialize here.  We don't call it The Salt City only for potatoes.

28 minutes ago, RNR1957NYer said:

Well, there are you two, and me - where are you located, bacelaw?

There are several 40s Mopars in New England, Eastern and Central NY.  If you would sign up for the

P 15 Picnic iUSA in September (12-15) you could make their acquaintance, and do some scenic touring.  Details for this year are being finalized but we will be using Cooperstown, NY as our base.  Contact mark@rdusaclassics.com to get details and reservation info emailing. Pic from 2024 tour in eastern Ontario/Niagara region.  The pink Caddy will be replaced by a p15 convertible this year.

IMG_6146.jpg

• Like 1

Baring unforeseens I hope to start both of my cars this week to ready them for driving. Last year due to health problems and other issues neither got much use being put back in storage in early July.  Driving so start soon after weather permitting. I.E no snow or ice. Don’t laugh, it has happened here this early in the year before.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the ol' Dodge buttoned up after all the winter work I did on it.  I was kind of anxious, as this was the first start after completely rebuilding the carburetor and reinstalling the Sisson choke.  And, it started right up once fuel got into the bowl. I have some adjustments to make to get it to warm-up a bit smoother, I am not used to dealing with the Sisson choke and a working fast idle, but it was cool watching the Sisson choke arm relax as the car warmed up.  I had my doubts the choke would work, I removed it over 30 years ago because it wasn't working right, but since found out why (thanks to this Forum and Rich Hartung's information) and finally decided to remedy it.  Simple enough, it wasn't adjusted right, and it never had the gasket.  The bimetal arm is a tad rusty, I thought that would affect it, but it doesn't look like it.  

Alas, no drive though.  The fuel pump diaphragm gave up the ghost.  Not enough to keep the car from running, but enough to clean off the side of the engine and start a gasoline puddle (Fuel squirting out from somewhere on the top of it).  Annoying but not surprising, since it's a good 30 years old.  Installed it when we lived in El Paso, TX after the EPA mandated an ethanol requirement in winter gas, but before anyone knew what ethanol does to older fuel systems - so not ethanol resistant.  New one is on the way.  "It's only April", so it snowed yesterday and last night, I wouldn't have taken it out anyway.    

• 3 weeks later...

As I noted earlier in this thread, I generally plan to have the ol' Dodge out in May.  Roads are usually clear of salt and the weather is cooperative.  For the past several years, the first sojourn has been to take the missus out for the Mothers Day breakfast at the Houlton Lodge of Elks, and this year, after always thinking "gee, that would make a nice picture", I actually finally took a picture.  This Lodge building was already 40 years old when our car was new, oldest original Elks Lodge in the State of Maine.  

DodgeattheLodge.jpg.5031f3f23c767dc04ecd448c068b99ef.jpg

• Like 4

That's a good-looking picture. A couple of bystanders wearing appropriate clothing, and this could pass for vintage :)

Sometimes I like to pause modern movies about old times and browse at all the things they captured at the background that are not period-correct 🤣

Agreed on the period correct clothing.  I do the same thing with some modern movies depicting the past, especially after we had the ol' Dodge in a period movie production with a Director that was ANAL about his movie being period correct.  We thought "no one would notice that", but found out that, indeed, there are folks that do.

On 5/19/2024 at 4:07 PM, Dan Hiebert said:

We thought "no one would notice that", but found out that, indeed, there are folks that do.

The director did the right thing, believe me. Not only there are folks that notice, there are websites dedicated specifically to exposing movie blunders, including things that do not belong in the scenes 🤣

2 hours ago, SteveR said:

Our car on the set of Das Boot Season 2. Filmed in Liverpool England 2019

And they did not ask you to remove those motorcycle turn-signals, and NY 38 plate (or was that scene supposed to be in NY)? Also, do I see radial tires on it? 🤔

As for the scene as a whole - building illumination and pavement markings are probably wrong as well.

Sorry... 😅

Edited by Ivan_B

5 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

And they did not ask you to remove those motorcycle turn-signals, and NY 38 plate (or was that scene supposed to be in NY)? Also, do I see radial tires on it?

I did ask about my turn signals, they said it will be ok.

It was supposed to be in NY hence the NY plate.

Yep radial tires.

All the clothing that was worn was 100% original and the women all had their hair done to the 40s style

What you missed is Plymouth did not make that color car in 37

Basically, we were all backdrop for the movie. I have not seen it yet but I am told my car was in the distance where the small things are not noticed. It was also a small production movie so they obviously took liberties. We were paid several hundred pounds, Hotel for 2 nights, travel expenses, and because I was also in costume I got paid a little more. Filming was 12 Hours 5 pm to 5 am with dinner at 1 am included.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Picky, picky, picky.

Small details is what makes the perfection :)

24 minutes ago, SteveR said:

What you missed is Plymouth did not make that color car in 37

Did not even know, besides the fact that it is an obvious new paint. Well, it should be good for 1937 NY, posing as a brand new car. Also, if the movie is in black and white - no one would ever find-out :) 

p.s.: Did the actors speak American English, or do all New Yorkers in British movies speak a perfect Yorkshire dialect? 🤣

11 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

p.s.: Did the actors speak American English, or do all New Yorkers in British movies speak a perfect Yorkshire dialect? 🤣

I speak in what you call American English. I darn well better I'm from Minnesota. Ya sure you betchya. lol

This was a German production and is in English subtitles. 

I never met the actors and have no idea if they spoke English. We were directed in English.

I don't know who took that picture. It was not from the film. It looks like they are setting up for the next take. The girl in red on the left was one of the directors and not in the film. 

It was funny to see 'Fire plugs' They must have had 4 of them in that tiny street. They were all real. They even had a newsstand with newspapers from the 1940s on it. 

I attached a photo of the final seen. The building on the right is where my car was parked but off-screen

Das Boot 2.png

8 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Now, that's different 🤣

I am married to a wonderful English lady for 30 years. We moved to England 27 years ago. I have not lost my American (Minnesotan) accent.