Difference in Diffs - Ford vs. Plymouth

Bob Riding
Go to solution Solved by Los_Control,

My buddy Ryan is over today to weld shock towers to my '92 Ranger differential that I installed in my '51 Suburban.

Originally I was going to stay with the stock Plymouth rear end but the automatic trans I was installing (GM 2004R) eliminated the stock tailshaft brake, so the Ranger fit the chassis and had E brakes on the back wheels.  I'm curious as to what the difference in riding and driving (if any) there would be between a 1951 Plymouth and 1992 Ford Ranger rearend, both with 3:7 and 3:73 ratios?

IMG_7430.jpeg

IMG_7434.jpeg

• Solution

I would guess there will be a possible noticeable difference  in noise .... quieter gears with modern tooth cutting. Less play on the yoke.  Better brakes. I know Lockheed brakes are superior if adjusted properly. ..... Takes lots of maintenance to keep them up .... modern self adjusting brakes that possibly are larger then the original will be quite good. Far easier to maintain with available parts ..... Same story with using modern u-joints ..... It is a improvement in my opinion, unless you are going for a 100 point restoration.

You have not changed the suspension so your ride will not change.

• Thanks 1

And if you are in Australia the 1989-1997 and onwards Oz EA-EL Ford Falcon Station wagon complete rear axle, disc to disc is a straight bolt in on the original Oz mopar rear springs.... I installed an EA/EB Falcon rear end and apart from having to drill two extra holes on the Ford spring pad to suit the Ford U bolts that was the only modification.....the Ford uses 3" wide springs so 2 of the U bolt holes on each side were spaced wider than the original Dodge springs....holes drilled & a perfect fit.............andyd  

Edited by andyd
more info.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Are the shock mounts welded upside down?

I hope not! On the stock rear end, they are just under the axle. Based on the height of the shock bracket, I thought it might be too low. I ordered the correct shocks from AB, and estimated what the ride height might be with the weight of the body in place using the bucket on my tractor as a stand-in. 

IMG_7538.jpeg

IMG_7539.jpeg