Which is correct jack and wheel wrench for P10?

Ivan_B

Does anyone have an image of the OEM jack, wheel wrench, and other tools (if any) for 1940 coupe?

I've found a couple of illustrations but cannot determine if the car had a bumper jack or a bottle type.

The last image is what my car came with. It looks like the handle is DIY, and the jack is from a mid-40s truck, is it? Do not have the wheel wrench at all ?

scan0015.jpg

37Jack.jpg

PXL_20231011_232209186.jpg

Edited by Ivan_B

Why do jacks always disappear?  I don't have the original one either, so I just bought a scissors jack to do the deed.  Oh, I noticed you have a chock, I almost found out the hard way, you need chocks.  That parking brake doesn't do diddly with one rear wheel in the air.

Edited by Sniper
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Why do jacks always disappear?

I know... Do people just forget them in the field, somewhere and drive off? Or sell them to a scrap yard to pay for gas (drugs)? ?

I just have one old wooden choke, which I thought about tossing into the trash, but is looks very antique, so I've decided to keep it (probably will get a pair of new rubber ones for this car, anyway). I might also have to go with a modern jack/tool kit, but there are still some old-ones available, so I'd first attempt to get an OEM-like set, if I can determine which one I need.

likely in this model car there is not really a position to stow or display the original jack and truthfully, they are a bit of a danger using especially beside the road and on we or uneven terrain even if they mechanically sound and fit.  I see the want to have one for display maybe but strongly suggest a small trolley jack or at minimum a scissor jack for the safety aspect.  Either a trolley and or a scissor jack will fit into a period correct style piece of luggage in the trunk that always look right at home when displaying the car at a cruise in.

Actually, I am just about to start using the car daily (I don't drive much, these days ?) so I am primarily interested in having a basic set of tools in the trunk for a quick road-side service. All of the things are simply stored behind the spare wheel, right? Also, these cars did not have any shelves, or anything like that in the trunk, correct?

I have the original jack and handle for my 39 Desoto BUT I would never use the jack because the jack is a round metal rod that just sits in the base plate is a dimple. The jack works on pressure against the rod. It is not safe and reliable to hold the car. I carry a 3ton scissors jack with me in the car.  I feel more comfortable with the scissors jack and since it has a long folding handle i then can move the jack into position to support the car on the frame.  I would also suggest that you carry and extra 12/12 inch piece of wood to place under the jack in case you are on soft ground. I had a flat and the ground was soft and the jack sank into the ground.

The use of a tire  stop is another great item to have. I also carry in all of my cars are several reflective strips that are made with plastic and they snap around your arms and legs. Runners use these when running at night time.  I also use these on my rear bumpers and they do not scratch the bumpers and since they are a pressure fit they can be removed.  The other tink is that I attached several rear flashing bicycle rear lights to my license plate. There are several variations to the blinking pattern and this also helps to get the attention of drivers when they are approaching from the rear and when driving my car in regular traffic.  I also carry in the trunk of my 39 Desoto and foldable red reflective triangle that you see when semi trucks have broken down on the road.

Any things that can be used to protect you and your car and anyone else that is driving with you is so important because of the speeds that everyone is doing in their modern cars.  Assume everyone else is carless and they do not give a hoot about you or your car.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Are you able to share some pictures of your OEM jack? Do you also have the factory wheel wrench? :)

Good advice about the piece of wood, for the extra base on soft surfaces. As I was reading your message about all of the things you have in your car for protection, I was thinking: this narrative is going to end with a .45 ACP, you know, just in case... Isn't it? ?

10 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

I was thinking: this narrative is going to end with a .45 ACP, you know, just in case... Isn't it?

Not to sound like I'm coming down on you, but I think this topic of personnel defense might fall into the realm like politics and religion on this site. Depending on the state you live in might be wise not to advertise what you use. Me? I'm of a mind like the jack and the fire extinguisher. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Joe Lee

I am fortunate to own a 41 Plymouth that has been in my family since new. Ice cream bags, old driving gloves, maps and so fourth are still as they were placed may decades ago. There is a jack and wooden caulk for under the tire. Also, the tire from wheel removal tool all of which I have to assume are original to this car. It is a bumper jack that ratchets up and down. 30 plus years ago I actually had a blow-out in the left rear tire and had to use the jack. Worked as well as to be expected, even though I used EXTREME caution. Got the flat tire off, no problems and went to put the spare tire on only to find that I could not jack the car up high enough to get the pressurized tire on!!!

So, just some food for thought if you choose to purchase a ratcheting style replacement for your car.

I would attach photos of the jack, nut I am not close to where the car is stored. Sorry.

10 hours ago, Skrambler said:

I am fortunate to own a 41 Plymouth that has been in my family since new.

That is great, good for you :) Please post the pictures of everything you have with it, when you get a chance.

I was actually leaning toward the bottle-style jack, as I do not like the bumper ones, for some reason (never had one, so I don't know where this is coming from) ?

My 1965 chebby Impala had a bumper jack .... I was trying  to remove the left front tire for whatever reason .... The wheel was kinda stuck so I pulled on it.

The jack toppled over and my arms were caught between the fender & tire.

I was 15 or 16 years old at the time ..... today I really have no reason to even like a bumper jack.

Although I do have a High Lift jack in the back room .... Have used it a few times .....Basically a bumper jack on steroids .... I would not want to use one to change a tire with.

42 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

The wheel was kinda stuck so I pulled on it.

. . . .

I was 15 or 16 years old at the time .....

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Glad you still have both of your hands (you do, right??? ?). I think that never having any limbs under the car on jack, or even worse - shaking it, etc., was probably the very firs thing my grandpa told me back in the day when we did a first tire rotation or something like that.

That reminds me: last year, I was buying a pair of old Sears jack stands from an old lady of Craigslist. While handing me the stands, she asked whether or not I also had some wood blocks, because her father told her that it is very important to put blocks of wood underneath the tires so that the car does not roll-off while you lift it up. I thought that was very nice that she was passing-on the very simple proper safety rules, many years later, despite the fact that I am an alright mechanic and, more or less, know what to do and, most importantly, what not to do ?

I do not recommend bottle jacks because of the very small point of contact of the jack up against the frame of the car.  A very good friend of mine that ownes a 1936 Desoto Airflow had the front passengers side of the car up inthe air and was working on the intake and exhaust manifold. His foot hit the bottle jack and the jack then moved inwards and the car fell down on his arm and took off a major section of the skin on his arms.

He was a MoPar technician and knew he had done wrong.  He had to have skin grafts to his arm. Hence, he has tossed the bottle jack and now only use a 3 ton floor jack with jack stand as rate at 3 tons.  ALWAYS make it safe a secure when working on a car when it is support by a floor jack and or jack stands.

When my car is ever up on stands or supported by a 3 ton floor jack I always rock the car prior to doing any work under the car to make sure it is securely braced. If you hear any creaking when under the car get away from the car as quickly as possible.

If you also have a detached garage or even attached garage I have and also recommend that you purchase a set of baby monitors that have a 2 or 1 way communication sending/ receive options.  So, if you are in the garage and working on the car and you wife is in the house then setup the system so that both can talk to each other. If you get in trouble then at least you can call for help.  Just an FYI situation.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Yes, dear, I'll be careful. 

I jack up a corner of the car high enough so that the wheel clears the ground (or slab).   

Then I set a racheting jack stand so high that it doesn't clear the frame. 

Then I jack the car up so that the jack stand clears the frame, and I'll  slip the jack stand under the frame.

Finallly I lower the jack so the frame rests on the jack stand, and I'll close the valve of the jack. 

If I remove the wheel, sometimes I'll be triple-safe, and slip the wheel under the frame. 

21 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Glad you still have both of your hands (you do, right??? ?). I think that never having any limbs under the car on jack, or even worse - shaking it, etc., was probably the very firs thing my grandpa told me back in the day when we did a first tire rotation or something like that.

Just part of growing up ..... I seem to learn best by making all the mistakes, then knowing which ones not to repeat  ;)

IIRC, the tire was flat, so I had cushion when the car came down. I had to struggle a bit to get a arm out, then lift up on the fender to remove the other .... I had scrapes & bruises and learned a life long lesson.