Dog Days Of Summer

Kilgore47

I know it's going to happen every year but it still amazes me how hot it gets this time of year.  Last year I lost a couple of evergreens because of the heat.  This year most of the elderberries are brown.  They should come back from the roots when it cools down.  When I took this picture it was almost 5pm.  The weather station was reading 112 but by the time I got the camara on the phone going it had cooled off to 111.  Ha - cooled off.  Only another 5 or so weeks to go before it starts cooling down.

Good thing is that before I retired I replaced the 20 year old HVAC system with a new more efficient system.  Even in this heat it's still cycling all day.  The old system would come on at about 10am and not cycle until about 9pm.  I had it checked and it had plenty of juice in it - It was just old and couldn't keep up.

Dog Days.jpg

acclimate folks....get out, get busy and let the sweat do it's magic......the poisons have left the body....!   Just do stay hydrated....work a bit rest a bit...good for the body, good for the mind when you do relax a bit at the end of the day and look back at what you accomplished.

Tough to get motivated I agree .... often turns into as needed basis to do anything. Or early in the morning & late afternoon.

I still hangout in the garage all day with the doors open & the fan on. We are 107F for the next week, then next Tuesday back over 110-112.

I did get some welding done yesterday. ..... Previous owner of my chebby truck cut a hole in the bed to get access to change the fuel pump.

IIRC, you need to lift the bed off the frame to change the fuel pump ..... not a easy job. So I'm fine with the hack repair, sad part is they hacked up the panel they cut out into 3 pieces. .... So I got it all welded back into 1 piece (glad they saved the pieces) that will use a few screws to hold it in place, then some seam sealer around the edges to seal it.

Something small but still a job I have been putting off for a few years.

7 hours ago, Kilgore47 said:

Only another 5 or so weeks to go before it starts cooling down.

Looking forward to it, I am going to go back to work on the pilothouse in a few days. If I can get my welding done in a couple weeks. get the seats installed .... September-November is perfect cool weather 60's-80's to get some paint sprayed, wiring installed ..... I want to put plates & registration on it this spring.

Just hang in for a few more weeks and we have some good working weather coming up.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

acclimate folks....get out, get busy and let the sweat do it's magic......the poisons have left the body....!   Just do stay hydrated....work a bit rest a bit...good for the body, good for the mind when you do relax a bit at the end of the day and look back at what you accomplished.

As my grandma used to say..."sweat the meanness out" as she sent me and my brother out to do chores on the farm.

• Like 1

Been reading a lot of climate awareness stuff recently and the question arises; "which is worse; capturing and burning methane (natural gas) or allowing it to escape into the atmosphere unchecked?"

Burning it, of course, releases CO2 and water vapor. And too much CO2 in the atmosphere, we all understand, is a BAD THING.

Allowing methane to enter the atmosphere unchecked is 25- YES- 25 times more harmful to the environment; a WORSE thing.

Yet; we're told that a fuel source we've been using for a couple of hundred years is too harmful to continue using; and we're to replace ALL of the devices that use it, from kitchen stoves to furnaces that heat our homes, with all electric devices. 

I have multiple issues with these instructions.

We have the ability to utilize a viable and almost self-replacing fuel source (methane is a product of decomposition; stuff is still rotting, is it not?) 

We have an extensive and well established distribution system that, in itself, WILL present a massive amount of material to dispose of. (WASTE)

We have well-documented issues with our own electrical generation and distribution infrastructure just in the US ALONE; adding more demand to a strained system while dismantling a fully operational alternative without making ANY appreciable improvement to the infrastructure is foolishness upon stupidity. 

We seem to be willing to freeze instead of lighting a fire. 

• Like 2

I would rather have the two options - lose electricity (more likely), have gas back up.  Lose gas - can plug in a heater.  I have personally seen the aftermath of large gas line explosions and our wildfires started by electricity.  The gas could have been mitigated by proper maintenance, and the electrical  could (for the most part) have been mitigated by maintenance, controlled burns, and politicians not mettling in areas they have little knowledge!

As for too much CO2 - we can easily plant more trees, and we should!

• Like 2

Planting crops that not only reduce CO2 but lock nitrogen into the soil, provide soil cover to prevent evaporative losses and hold moisture in the soil, provide for bees and other pollinators, those are real methods to combat CO2, not legislating us into the Middle Ages

• Like 1

I don’t think most people have any idea how much CO2 humans pump into the air. The amount of CO2 produced by the eruption of Mount St. Helens (1980) produced the equivalent to what humans produce in eight or nine hours. Don’t believe me, look it up in Scientific American of NOAA, both pretty reputable. There is no simple answer but thinking there are simple answers is not the solution. I probably sound a bit political but this thread has now gone that route.