Problem with attaching turn buckle to clutch pedal shaft on 48 DeSoto.

MarcDeSoto

I'm trying to attach the turn buckle to the clutch pedal and it requires a 3/8 X 24 X 1 3/32" bolt.  Try asking for that size at your local hardware!  The closest they have is 1 1/4" long bolt, but they don't have anything with a cotter pin hole at the end.  I think a cotter pin with the slotted nut is necessary because you can't tighten this connection too tight because it will stop movement on the clutch pedal.  So there needs to be a loose enough connection for the pedal to work and the cotter pin prevents the nut from coming unscrewed and falling off.  And I don't think you should substitute a clevis pin on this high pressure connection.  Can I drill a hole through the end of the bolt, or are automotive bolts too hard for that?  

P1020790.JPG

P1020792.JPG

P1020795.JPG

Automotive bolts vary in hardness.  look at the head of the bolt and it will tell you the hardness.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

Can you flip the bolt around so the nut is on the other side, that might give you more room in there.  You could consider a shouldered bolt there.

15 hours ago, 61spit said:

Check with Aircraft Spruce. You can get drilled bolts and castle nuts. Wide range of sizes. aircraftspruce.com

I looked at their site and I see a 1 3/32" long bolt, but they don't say what size bolt it is, or the threads per inch.  I need a 7/16 x 24 x 1  3/32 bolt with a hole at the end for a cotter pin.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I would think a 3/8" X 24  castellated nut should be available in your local area.

As mentioned shorten a bolt and drill it.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The factory turn buckle rod castellated nut is a 3/8" X 24.

The bolt can  be hand drilled....center punch it and using a very sharp drill bit do it.

Otherwise find someone to do it.

Really though you can do it. Practice on another bolt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Do you mean a 7/16" castellated nut?  I don't have a drill press, which I think is necessary for drilling a hole in a bolt.  

Are you sure it's 7/16 - 24 ?   Can't find that pitch in McMaster-Carr or my thread checker.  Only 7/16-14. But they don't have that bolt with cotter pin hole. Maybe a little longer bolt with a lock washer and a 2nd nut?  Or loctite? Don't think I could drill a small hole in a bolt side.  Oops -  see that you mean 3/8..

Edited by Bryan
Saw 3/8..
  • Like 1

Find the proper bolt and buy an extra nut. The nut gives you a flat spot to drill on and little chance of messing up threads if you go through both. Also you can likely put the head and the nut in a vice to hold it steady.

• Like 2

if...you are drilling round stock...you really should have a v-block on hand....while not 100% necessary it is 100% better to use a block.  Small spring loaded center punch, how did I ever work without one.  Small file for a ever so small flat spot is an aid also.   Ed's use of predrilled nuts to use as slip over or threading on is a great work save also...would take but a few minutes to create a set of these to have on hand.   As with all things, being a bit more proactive reaps big rewards on the other end.  I use nuts of different sizes that have been square out with my special square extractors to use to slip over the ends of taps for when you need to chase a hole that you cannot get a tap handle into the area but a socket and ratchet, plenty of room.  These I also recommend you have on hand.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

My bad.  I don't know why I said I need a 7/16 bolt.  I need a 3/8 x 24 x 1 /3/32" long.  Thank you Brian.  That bolt looks like it would work even though  it is only partially threaded.  I would have to buy 5, but the price isn't too bad.  Thanks.  Marc.

1 minute ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Only one problem with this size.  I need a 1 3/32" long bolt, and this one is just 1/64" short.  Maybe that wouldn't matter, I don't know.  Marc.

Probably wouldn't matter.. looks like a lot more than that sticking out on the original.. 

• Like 1