Before and After

9 foot box

I got this car in September 2014. It is a 46' with the serial number on the right door pillar. it has the original P15 stamped engine, but has 230 crank and rods. So a tag riveted to the block ahead of the engine number, says, For Parts Specify Model 231. Rick DeDycker AKA 9 foot box

00i0i_9vDVW5zqDZn_600x450.jpg

01010_eLLqmGcPUvP_600x450.jpg

46 Plymouth 9-23-21 007.JPG

46 Plymouth 9-23-21 008.JPG

46 Plymouth 9-23-21 010.JPG

• Like 14

Thank You, for your recognition, everyone. For the first five years, I put an overdrive with fast second in it, had to patch the floor, sills and a couple sill supports. The last two years, I’ve been learning body shop technique. I learned a lot. I just wanted it black without a cellulite fender. Looking back, the hardest thing was bending the rear fender welting and putting the fenders on. My next project to be painted and assembled is a WD21 truck with a 9 foot box, my first purchase down this rabbit hole of vintage mopar. All other purchases seemed to get ahead of it. Having this forum and buying and having books with technical data, helps a lot also. I have more before and after pics I will post, off my other computer. Rick D.

• 1 year later...

My 46 is still performing, but I wanted to bring it forward in the forum. It was back to page 54. I also wanted to share with a few members that have PM’d me about a few subjects. I took a ride last week to Three Forks, MT, headwaters of the Missouri River. This is the Sacajawea Hotel built in 1910, upscale dining, nice rooms and five new cottages. Rick D.

B52ECBA2-AD1B-46A5-96BE-EE14C39BD138.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m curious about your seats - one picture shows the original bench seat and the other close up shows a nice set of modern captains chairs and a center console that looks very cleanly installed with modern seatbelts to boot. 

presumably you went from original to modern in your restoration as your pictures show a mix, but the original had the for sale sign so I think you have gone in reverse.

Admittedly there is great functional and comfort appeal to a console (with cup holders!) and modern captains chairs I would wish for my own Chrysler for practical long journeys. 

I’d  probably get mine in original highlander tartan and wood veneer. My wife might take  a ride much more often.

Edited by wagoneer

8 hours ago, wagoneer said:

I’m curious about your seats - one picture shows the original bench seat and the other close up shows a nice set of modern captains chairs and a center console that looks very cleanly installed with modern seatbelts to boot. 

presumably you went from original to modern in your restoration as your pictures show a mix, but the original had the for sale sign so I think you have gone in reverse.

Admittedly there is great functional and comfort appeal to a console (with cup holders!) and modern captains chairs I would wish for my own Chrysler for practical long journeys. 

I’d  probably get mine in original highlander tartan and wood veneer. My wife might take  a ride much more often.

Also noticed that the chrome trim on the door panels are reversed.  (My folks did that on their 53 Desoto when my Mom re-did the seats and door panels, early in its reign as the family car. (1959 - 1968.  Then it was Dad's work car until 1972.  My younger brother has it now.)

The first two pictures are before, the PO reversed the door trim, used 1/4" paneling for door cards and put the bucket seats and console in. I changed all his efforts back to original, for the better, in my opinion. Rick D.

46 Plymouth 9-23-21 005.JPG

• Like 5

Thank you, Marcel. I have a Fulton windshield visor that looked nice on the car before I painted. I also bought some fender skirts. I had too much sweat equity into the paint to jeopardize it by adding aftermarket parts. I’ve always liked the speed lines on the fenders of the earlier Dodge and Plymouth Road Kings. My 47 Dodge truck has them. I look forward to seeing your project thread and offering any tips for vendors for parts you may need. Rubbercal.com and rubber the right way.com have parts that helped me with trunk matting and staples for inside door trim. Rick D.

51BE2138-C08C-4BFF-9780-CEC2653E53CB.jpeg

Edited by 9 foot box
Wrong brand name
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The temperature got to 62* Sunday. A lot of snow pack in the Tobacco Root mountains. The center peak is Hollowtop Mtn. at 10604’. It was a nicer Easter than April 12,2020. Rick D.

709EDAD9-02E4-4A80-9C48-79D6DBD7968C.jpeg

242E1BF1-59CD-425D-AF58-D36F636A1713.jpeg

9B2C60F6-A9C0-4887-B5D2-8C5EF022447A.jpeg

• Like 2