Help! Where to Stop? 1951 Dodge P/U Restoration

Julie

Julie I have not talked ... no reason too.

You know you have been taking advantage of and there are friends to help you.

You need to get that truck out of there as quick as you can.

Just incredible the amount of work they have done on it with a $20k  cap ...

You just need to get the truck out of the shop hands and soon back too your hands.

You paid what you owe ... now you owe nothing.

Something i dont get, why is it not one single aspect of this build completed, or near completed? Powertrain incomplete, front end incomplete,no electrical no brakes. 
when i went at mine,it was one thing at a time,steering, suspension brakes electrical and driveline. 

chopping out firewall to fit engine,then not finishing it. 

This "craftsman" worked on this project, whenever and however he wanted, in between other projects of shorter duration that probably had customers breathing down his neck, so finishing this Pilot-House was never a priority...now that his chain is getting yanked for him to come back to earth, he's lashing out cuz he knows he messed up and doesn't want to admit to it, so the parade of excuses and denials will not end until he gets his way, like many petulant children do who walk among us as adults in age only...SAD

15 hours ago, Julie said:

At this point I want anybody but him to have them and it seems like I will have to pay someone something to even make that happen (which is ok) but I actually don't know how to proceed.

I thought about this Next step. Somehow it just galls me the state you’ve been put in for a moving vehicle to come out in parts and it just costs and costs.

As a consumer there must be some recourse for such a travesty, and as a minimum contact Wisconsin consumer protection bureau (at the link I sent earlier), but also a lawyer over the phone can give you advice.

———-

selling procedure:

1. rent a 20x30 storage space for a couple of months (~$500) in the area (or target area)

2.   rent a uhaul truck (for the parts) with a car towing trailer (for the truck or alternately a tow truck) and hire a couple of people (like those college guys and a truck people) to help move everything. (~$500)

3. You should travel there yourself and at least one or two friends to supervise (this is where the posse would really help) to collect all (absolutely everything including original pieces like the gauges and interior, nuts and bolts)

Anything thrown away should be carefully documented as disposed of by the shop.

a checklist of areas of stuff like earlier would help. you can use the factory parts manual and a factory shop manual as a source of truth and list of components with pictures.  

Your truck was complete so complete parts should come back. You should come bearing pictures of what your truck was inside and out (the video is good too)

4. place everything in the storage unit carefully documented with pictures.

5. place an ad in auto trader and eBay. Hopefully you still have a clear title.

When sold , it will be responsibility of buyer to collect and move everything and you close it down  and move on . 

————

You could drive it all the way back to California and keep your options open (uhaul plus trailer).

Maybe in a few months and distance of time and space, the perspective won’t be so bad, and you can have someone or yourself work one system at a time.

It can be your next house renovation .

Edited by wagoneer

As a postscript , after those few months of time pass with the truck sitting and in your possession, you may consider the mental transition away from rational roi to hobby/passion where the costs up to now are sunk costs and become fuzzier like fish stories become greater, and you look at it as a hobby whose costs invariably are irrelevant, and complete  has lots of positive and fond memories of your sister and boyfriend, and one day those will be important and this debacle will be a footnote. 

To boot, it will also  have some nominal pretty decent resale value, and you will enjoy it thoroughly.

The fact is you have a very solid and complete (in terms of pieces) truck and it’s on its way to being a very nice daily driver.

If you can afford it, plow forward with rose colored glasses, and join us in this forum, start a build thread, and the peanut gallery will join you on your journey, and maybe meet you at the annual picnic in California.

Edited by wagoneer
  • Like 1

These are all good idea and thoughts and I'm really grateful. 

I don't have the stomach for any of this. I would rather put an ad on "Craigslist" under the "Free" category and give his address for anybody who wants to go get it. I would also consider donating it to Madison Area Technical College. I would also hire a mover to drive it into the lake. I just don't want him left with a single screw.

Question: Is there such a thing as a consigner or salvager who would just take the whole lot from you and then give you a percentage? I don't even know how to Google this in the area. I would love to call up the posse once it's determined what if anything is left.

I contacted my insurance company who involved police. He will be getting a visit soon and a demand from law enforcement and a lawyer to return my property but there is some question of jurisdiction at the moment and also determining when the incident occurred.

BTW I am from CA but live in Florida now and teach remotely, I came to be near my mom and dad during the pandemic. I have not had the heart to tell them any of this. My dad was a lawyer but he's not in the best shape lately and he retired quite awhile back. I don't even know if he is still registered with the bar so I am going to have to pay someone in Wisconsin.

The insurance co. told me I have to go through this process to file any claim, and it is likely to be very small if anything for the loss of original parts. But that is a long road, they told me, and probably not worth it. I started this project with an ex who was a cop I'm sure could've helped but he recently passed. And I wanted it to be the centerpiece of a wedding business I always dreamed of starting with my sister and used the last of the money she left me to buy it and fix it up. Maybe it would make a good story for Garage Squad? 

Shop pic is 10/2018

rogerdodge (3).png

2.png

1.png

6.png

7c3b9292077a877d4807496fdeb84f67.jpg

Resized_20181004_172830_7109.jpeg

22 minutes ago, wagoneer said:

If you can afford it, plow forward with rose colored glasses, and join us in this forum, start a build thread, and the peanut gallery will join you on your journey, and maybe meet you at the annual picnic in California.

Thank you kindly for that invitation and I will definitely do that. In fact, if I could find another one like mine was before it was trashed for around $10K I would buy it and start again.

9 minutes ago, Julie said:

Question: Is there such a thing as a consigner or salvager who would just take the whole lot from you and then give you a percentage? I don't even know how to Google this in the area. I would love to call up the posse once it's determined what if anything is left.

Like maybe these guys but I would like to get some opinions before I contact them. I do not want to go from the frying pan into the fire. https://www.zbsalvage.com/

glimpsed bits and pieces of this thread.....but as I understand....bills are paid to the shop for work that has been the agreed 20K though not complete.  You have issued a work stop in writing.  Now the shop has your vehicle on its lot and no further work authorized...provisions are usually set for X days for customer to retrieve vehicle.  From there, the shop is allowed and is customary for them to charge a storage fee from X day forward.  After a certain amount of time those charges will shoot through the roof whereas you are now is stage two of your dispute, clearing storage fee before released to you or your agent.  Final scenario, shop places mechanical lien on the vehicle and will get court order to take possession to sell and recover his cost.  He is not forced to sell at fair market or and is often the case he just collects his fees as over and above must go to you.   Figure the odds on that happening.....whatever you do I suggest it get done quickly.  He or his bud will reap a whirlwind on the lien action.

Since police and insurance are involved, you will need to take possession and stock somewhere away from where it is now before any company or person will take it off your hands. I don’t think anybody will wade into the middle of this now legally.

Those body parts at a minimum are very desirable as they are in excellent shape. Parted out they could sell for $2k-$3k alone. Gauges go for $500 to $1000. Fenders for $800+.

@Plymouthy Adams has a point. Has to be done soon. Maybe police/insurance action provides breathing room.

1 minute ago, wagoneer said:

Since police and insurance are involved, you will need to take possession and stock somewhere away from where it is now before any company or person will take it off your hands. I don’t think anybody will wade into the middle of this now legally.

Those body parts at a minimum are very desirable as they are in excellent shape. Parted out they could sell for $2k-$3k alone. Gauges go for $500 to $1000. Fenders for $800+.

@Plymouthy Adams has a point. Has to be done soon. Maybe police/insurance action provides breathing room.

Gauges were re-conditioned and upgraded to 12V by a guy call Bob's Speed-o-Meter, I think it cost $2K, paid him directly. Never saw them, though. 

Yes I do have the title. My bf ran the VIN when we bought it and it came back blank. This did not alarm him at the time, given the age.

34 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Now the shop has your vehicle on its lot and no further work authorized...provisions are usually set for X days for customer to retrieve vehicle.  From there, the shop is allowed and is customary for them to charge a storage fee from X day forward.  After a certain amount of time those charges will shoot through the roof whereas you are now is stage two of your dispute, clearing storage fee before released to you or your agent.  Final scenario, shop places mechanical lien on the vehicle and will get court order to take possession to sell and recover his cost.  He is not forced to sell at fair market or and is often the case he just collects his fees as over and above must go to you.   Figure the odds on that happening.....whatever you do I suggest it get done quickly.  He or his bud will reap a whirlwind on the lien action.

glimpsed bits and pieces of this thread.....but as I understand....bills are paid to the shop for work that has been the agreed 20K though not complete.  You have issued a work stop in writing.

This good to know, thank you. The insurance adjustor does not plan to contact him yet and actually froze the claim for this reason. It's not a work stoppage yet as I did not respond to his last email awaiting direction on what to do next and welcoming me to send my car club pals (which would be you!) to come have a look.  I have not talked to the detectives yet, though, who have to decide who has jurisdiction and whether it's a theft based on a visit I can but don't have to request. But if the police do tell him to return my property and he doesn't the next step is the stop order with a 10 day notice to return it. What I'm saying is he does not know that I am refusing to be further extorted yet and may well be holding out hope for a thank you sir may I have another. He is paying a divorce lawyer a bundle right now to hold onto his shirt and various body parts of his own. ?

Edited by Julie

based solely on the above reply....you are in limbo with the detectives and the claims adjuster....nothing more to be done here till you receive their findings and guidance...while stressful.....there is nothing anyone on the forum could do without a POA and that will only upset the shop more...a face to face meeting with the man could gain valuable ground for you and if an accord is struck for return, get this in writing.  Be prepared to move the vehicle within 72 hours....plenty of time NOT to be in his way and yet at the same time plenty of time for you to make arrangements and for them to roust up the parts in question.   Cards are stacked in his favor as you did not respond to his last e-mail for further directions.  

Julie, I have been following this thread from the start. I have no advice to offer as I don't live in your country although laws in Canada are likely similar to what you have to deal with. I just feel badly for you being in the situation you are in. You have paid a lot of money for little work being completed successfully and you have lost a good original, drivable, and very presentable pick-up. I can only hope that you eventually get some satisfaction from the miserable SOB you are dealing with. I think you mentioned that once you have managed to get the truck back you may just remove it from your life and get a different truck. If I offered any advice, that would be it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I can only hope that you eventually get some satisfaction from the miserable SOB you are dealing with. I think you mentioned that once you have managed to get the truck back you may just remove it from your life and get a different truck. If I offered any advice, that would be it.

Thank you, and agreed. I am excited even thinking about that, but it might take me awhile. I lost my 18-year-old wiener dog Oscar in 2014 and still can't muster the heart to get another. ?

As to the miserable SOB, I do believe in karma, though, and karma is a bitch.

44 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

.there is nothing anyone on the forum could do without a POA and that will only upset the shop more...a face to face meeting with the man could gain valuable ground for you and if an accord is struck for return, get this in writing.  

I don't know what a POA is but you might be surprised. He has said he welcomes a visit and any conversation with anyone who actually knows what they are talking about (and this is clearly not me) because he truly believes you will take his side. Turns out he's not a big fan of women as a rule. Who knew.

POWER OF ATTORNEY   no one can legally deal in your behalf without one and surely no one can expect anyone to honor a handshake that is not yours if you could trust the man to a handshake....no one has to honor anything not in writing and duly notarized....the shop has your truck by your consent....the door is wide open for interpretation beyond that...

On 7/28/2021 at 4:02 PM, JBNeal said:

it sounds like ya might need to take a field trip to give them fellas a good talkin-to, or at least arrange for a local proxy with some project knowledge to act as your agent to get that show on the road.  As for project management, it's imperative to define the scope of work, timeline for completion, financial budget limits and incentives, and in this case, arrangement for return of property.

Update: The posse idea may have some life in it yet. Police/insurance were called off before shop was ever alerted and an olive branch may be sprouting. The other two choices are sell the whole lot to a salvager to sort through (for pennies on the dollar) or donate to the technical college auto program and take the write off on the business loss. At least it wouldn't be the end of its life. Stay tuned.

Also I am not a total amateur (yes I am but still). I was even going to call Don Bunn but then found out he had died. ?

IMG-5076.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm responding to this year old and very sad thread to give everyone an update. I reached out to Julie to see if she was able to work anything out about her truck. She said she got an attorney involved. They tried to sell everything to a single buyer but it never happened. If she doesn't sell it soon, she will have it all shipped to Florida. She has found someone in Florida to finish the work for her. She said she would like to get at least half of what she currently has in it. Unfortunately, that would still be about $15K and whoever bought it would still have a full assembly project. I told her if I was richer and closer, I would even consider it. I also told her I would pass that information on in case anyone else here might be interested. 

She also wanted me to thanks everyone for all their help last year. 

• 1 month later...