Help! Where to Stop? 1951 Dodge P/U Restoration

Julie

I bought my project in decent shape, running and driving with some electrical problems for $7K and in Jan. 2018 gave the shop a $20K total budget to restore it. This has all been spent on the mechanical phase (new engine, transmission, restoring/upgrading instruments, add A/C). I'm looking for advice on how much more to spend on the body/interior (and specifically on what) so I can nail down a reasonable estimate of completion costs. Also interested in any design/color/finishing ideas/resourced to preserve the original aesthetic as much as possible.

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

• Like 2

I'll let  the more experienced give the good advice, but I do want to say what a lovely truck you have.  From the pictures it sure looks to be in nice shape already.

What are you wanting to do with the truck?  Car shows?  Cruise nights?  Just roll around town?

If it were me, I would drive it as it is so I wouldn't be terrified of using the truck for the odd run to the dump or tree dropoff.  But your desires might be different from mine.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Kato659 said:

What are you wanting to do with the truck?  Car shows?  Cruise nights?  Just roll around town?

Yes!

I am in Orlando so there is a market for short term rentals, catering, wedding photography etc. I would really like to get into something like that. I also want it to just be a decent investment, which is why I am willing to put some $$ in it, but like I said he is already over budget and I kinda need to know where this ends. It does end, right?!!!

The short answer is that when it comes to restoring an old Dodge, the finish line is wherever you want it to be as there always seems to be some detail that needs addressing or some performance improvement that can be made.  This is a nice looking truck ya got there, but I can spot probably a dozen things that are not original or incomplete about the work that has been done, such as the incorrect hood ornament, the incorrect steering wheel, and whatever that contraption is on the dash.  Another practical issue to deal with is insurance for this truck, as that might dictate usage especially in a revenue producing venture.  Bottom line:  it's your dime on your truck, spend however much you feel comfortable with, but do not be surprised that if you try to flip this buggy for profit that ya might not have many viable bidders as these Dodges don't seem to draw the big spenders like shiny gm or frds :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Welcome Julie! 51 or 52?

I’ve never “restored” a truck, so take it for what it’s worth. ?

I would make it safe and enjoy what you have.

LOL, But at minimum get the correct steering wheel and a horn ring ? 

well said on the resale JB

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

such as the incorrect hood ornament, the incorrect steering wheel, and whatever that contraption is on the dash. 

The dash contraption has left the building! (I always wondered about it myself). I didn't now about the hood ornament but I have seen the correct steering wheel on Barrett Jackson and is is soooo pretty! (I also bought Don Bunn's book). Anyway, thank you!!!

IMG_0281.jpeg

• Like 1

Has anything been done yet on the body and/or paint? Any good paint job in going to cost you another $5-10k. The paint looks pretty decent from your pictures. I'd just roll with it as it is. And the interior looks pretty decent too, although in that last picture it appears to all be stripped out. 

Hi Merle, they stripped it out to get the mechanical work done and then since it was already disassembled recommended we paint now instead of reassemble/disassemble at some future point to paint. The paint job looks ok, but there is some rust to be dealt with and other minor issues. I really expected the initial $20K to cover both the safety and cosmetic stuff (since it was already running and driving), so I am not sure how the whole budget got plowed through before things important to me got tended to, but here we are.

Thanks for your thoughts on budget, I am in Fla. and the shop is in Wisconsin. I have not been given any quote at all for the painting. Very difficult to extract.

15 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

That would be difficult when the shop is so far away. Where in Wisconsin is it? (I'm in WI too) 

LOL, Oh no Julie! Don’t let Merle near it or the interior will be more stripped ?

101758FF-FBE9-409F-963C-9744FA7396EC.jpeg.cd7c6034c67fe34c4529eaad6be800bc.jpeg

(Photo of Merle from his build thread)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

That would be difficult when the shop is so far away. Where in Wisconsin is it? (I'm in WI too) Have they given you a cost breakdown of the work done so far so that you know what you've paid for? 

Hi Merle, they are in Cottage Grove, near Madison, where I was living when I started the project. All my advice at that time was to leave it there since the labor is much cheaper than Orlando or L.A. (I've lived in both these last few years). The invoices are somewhat detailed but of course I don't receive them until after the work has been completed. There was no build plan or estimate, just the budget I gave them to do general improvements. And now they are ready to send it to their "body guy." Nice guys and they do good work from what I have seen but not the greatest communicators so I am set on being more specific going forward about what I am asking for and what I am willing to pay for. PS Nice pic!! I actually miss the snow!!

It sounds like they got you over a barrel. I would ask them for a hard quote on what the body, paint, and interior work will entail, and cost. From that you can negotiate what work you need done now and what could wait until later. If you have a written quote as to what is going to be done, and what the price will be you can then hold their feet to the fire (so to speak). That would be much better than an open ended agreement to "keep it within my budget", but then "you should add this, or that", which blows out the budget. 

34 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

It sounds like they got you over a barrel. I would ask them for a hard quote on what the body, paint, and interior work will entail, and cost. 

Yes, unfortunately. I am working on this now in written form as I have asked one too many times verbally. And so glad I joined this forum, you guys are great!! Whatever happens, my hood ornament, steering wheel and horn ring will be cute. ?

32 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

@Brent B3B, you don't like my 'sparse' interior? The heater wasn't working, but the A/C worked awesome that day. ?

I like it!! Some people just don't understand Wisconsin. ?

• Like 1

Julie,

Since you are asking for a hard quote to do the body work and reassemble it, also ask for a hard quote to assemble it without the paint and body work.  That way you can decide which route to a running, driving truck is worth it to you; right now, unfortunately, you have a lot of expensive sub-assemblies several hundred miles away.

• Like 1

Thank you!! I am going to ask for both formally by email, along with a detailed checklist of what's been completed (per the invoices) and what I would ideally like costed out. I've asked several times verbally and by text. Latest response, by text: "Very hard to estimate complete builds as so much changes as we go along. But I'm certainly willing to discuss anything you or he have questions about."  

?

Stay tuned.

15 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Doesn't your wife have a connection to Superior, WI? It's nice up there too. 

...yah closer to Minnesota!  :P

"Very hard to estimate complete builds"......If you don't estimate complete builds, or bid on complete builds, that doesn't change the fact the customer needs a number. 

..."as so much changes as we go along."..... we make it up as we go along without a any kind of plan.

"But I'm certainly willing to discuss anything you or he have questions about."......  so I can get you to stop asking "how much is this gonna cost??"

Just a few of the thoughts that ran through my mind. I paint on the side, and pretty much bid the job and 80 percent of those jobs are completes.

Either way....goood looking truck. :)

48D

Edited by 48Dodger

17 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

LOL, thank you for translation!! I am trying to have a sense of humor about this right along now. I have gotten a lot of insight from you guys on here and I did drop him a note gently asking for a number (translation: in order to make the funds available), which I would hope would be inspiring. Agree it's a good looking truck and thank you very much. I am dying to drive it soon with the right hood ornament and steering wheel!!

"Very hard to estimate complete builds"......If you don't estimate complete builds, or bid on complete builds, that doesn't change the fact the customer needs a number. 

..."as so much changes as we go along."..... we make it up as we go along without a any kind of plan.

"But I'm certainly willing to discuss anything you or he have questions about."......  so I can get you to stop asking "how much is this gonna cost??"

Just a few of the thoughts that ran through my mind. I paint on the side, and pretty much bid the job and 80 percent of those jobs are completes.

Either way....goood looking truck. :)

48D

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Lake Geneva, beautiful. I did not know that about Kikkoman. I know bout Kaukauna the spreadable cheese!! I have not been to the corn festival but briefly dated a farmer with a big fleet of trucks and got to see the Northern Lights while delivering a BOATLOAD of corn.

having been to Lake Geneva, Walworth (home of Kikkoman) and Williams Bay corn festival twice.....not a bad area at all.....

38 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

...yah closer to Minnesota!  :P

My truck was born in MN, Chisago City, thus the MN plates. My boyfriend at the time who was a cop could not trace the VIN though, so maybe it was born somewhere else and "adopted."