New Battery - Car won't start and no power to headlights

jt52MrB
Go to solution Solved by greg g,

1 hour ago, greg g said:

Bum battery exchange it.  Turning the key to the right is the accessory position.  Turn the key to run, do you have footage to the neg terminal on the coil?

You guys are the best!! I knew it was a silly issue. My old battery was bum and I replaced it with another bum one. I took it back and brought my multimeter to the store. All of the Optima batteries were bad. I tested on a different brand and it was fine. Took it home and she fired right up. 

Thank you all for the advice and help!! 

• Like 2

It's good you have the meter!?

They are so helpful when buying batteries from today's parts stores?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jt52MrB said:

You guys are the best!! I knew it was a silly issue. My old battery was bum and I replaced it with another bum one. I took it back and brought my multimeter to the store. All of the Optima batteries were bad. I tested on a different brand and it was fine. Took it home and she fired right up. 

Thank you all for the advice and help!! 

Thanks for the final update on an issue we all sometimes face. Some new products have just lost their good name trying to cut corners. Now go out and enjoy the old girl!!

I put an optima 6v in my truck a couple years ago. I think this will be my 4th season with it. So far it's been working great. I'm guessing they probably had some issues with the conversion to the other factory or some other production problems that have been resolved. I wonder how long the battery in this post that failed has been sitting in that parts store....

That's a beautiful Belvedere!

I have owned my 1952 Belmont Blue Poly Belvedere now for 48 years.

My 2nd car.

Thanks for showing your car?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

I put an optima 6v in my truck a couple years ago. I think this will be my 4th season with it. So far it's been working great. I'm guessing they probably had some issues with the conversion to the other factory or some other production problems that have been resolved. I wonder how long the battery in this post that failed has been sitting in that parts store....

This seems to be the story being told all over the internet, good service from most with some horror stories mixed in.  Still good batteries since the move to Mexican production for most.  My bet is that quality control is spotty resulting in an occasional bad one.  Inconsistency is a fast way to ruin a reputation.   But, all of the stock in that particular store being bad is scary!  Maybe they don't rotate stock, and/or don't sell enough to keep fresh ones on hand.n

every battery has a date code on it some where.  Might be a sticker, might be embossed in the case but it's there.  Might be an issue figuring it out as it can get somewhat esoteric, google is your friend there. 

For optima this post has date code info

https://tawallaccess.com/2016/08/03/optima-battery-warranty-guide-lines/

Edited by Sniper

I know that the lead acid 6 volt batteries at the box auto stores don't really have a high demand for them. Last time I bought a battery, I went to auto zone and they had 3 on the back shelf with newest date showing it had been on the shelf for at least 10 months. I started getting mine from the Tractor Supply. They have a good turn over from the tractors that use the 6 volt systems so the turn over is faster.

Joe Lee

A date code example that I have seen: 

A = 1 

B = 2

C =4

D = 5

E = 6

F = 7

G = 8

H = 9

I = 0

That covers a decade. Stores don’t really expect to have a battery come back for warranty after 3 years. So those date codes will serve fine. 

Let’s assume you see a battery in the store with a dot type sticker on it. In the dot it reads “H6”  figure 2009, 6th month.  You’d do well to pick something like an H12. Dec 2019.  Better yet would be “I1” 2020 1st month.