Unidentified Screw

Bingster

On the front left lower side of my flat head, coming out of the block behind the left generator bracket bolt, there is a small type of set screw with a squared head that is the same diameter as the screw body.  A few threads are showing.  It looks to be some sort of fluid drain plug.  Anybody know what it's used for?

set screw type of thing 

I guess I wouldn't know if it was in the oil gallery.   And with it being a screw that is not tightened down to the screw head, I suppose there must be some reason that it isn't.  On the other hand, who would ever want to access it behind the generator bracket?

Just now, Bingster said:

I guess I wouldn't know if it was in the oil gallery.   And with it being a screw that is not tightened down to the screw head, I suppose there must be some reason that it isn't.  On the other hand, who would ever want to access it behind the generator bracket?

Got a pic of the location?

Pipe threads are tapered, so that, theoretically, when you tighten the joint, it doesn't leak.  In the real world, there are pipe dope and teflon tape.  

(Edit: photo:  There's the little plug, behind the generator/alternator bracket.  The oil gallery is that ridge at the bottom of the block.  The next boss to the right wasn't tapped.  The next one has a pipe plug.  Farther back may be a connection for an oil filter

5974e5df77662_2011alternator003stockbracket.jpg.717414bc652f3819cfac6d7be295ad20.jpg

Edited by DonaldSmith
additional info

This hole above the horizontal generator bracket mount holes?  

image.png.6dbd4efce284137f9d0bab438f5bea07.png

Oil Galley plug holes. As @Plymouthy Adams mentioned the galleys had to be drilled somehow.   The holes in the outside of the block (and on some engine types inside the block) are simply plugged up with a pipe threaded plug of various types.  Some engine types have a pipe plug like a mini freeze plug installed.  Some have an allen head screw plug installed.  Some utilize the plug @Frank Elder shows us.   Sounds like you have the same plugs I pulled out of my block a couple weeks ago; a simple NPT threaded screw.   

Edited by thebeebe5

I

1 minute ago, Bingster said:

Okay, that all makes sense. So nobody should have to remove that screw under normal conditions?

I remove them on any engine block that is being completely disassembled for rebuild.  All oil passages will get thorough cleaning, and the only way to do it is to remove those plugs.   Otherwise they stay in place. 

2 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

I

I remove them on any engine block that is being completely disassembled for rebuild.  All oil passages will get thorough cleaning, and the only way to do it is to remove those plugs.   Otherwise they stay in place. 

and...will accumulate muck that will dislodge and wipe bearings.......open them, bore brush them clean and wipe out with lubed lint free cloth till they come out clean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

these plugs seal the block from where it was bored to route oil to the cam bearings..

my other answer...it was dark and I was drunk.....

Kinda like the double entendre...:huh: