Convert a 218 to a 230 ci Motor

rallyace

I'm guessing that this has been asked before but I could not find anything in the archives. I just picked up a 218 inch motor and I want to convert it to a 230. I know that a 230 has a longer stroke  will require a crank from a 230. What other parts will I need. Are the pistons the same or is the wrist pin location higher on the 230?  Thanks, Mike

The crank And rods are both required.

Pistons, etc. all the same.

If you were closer  to Ca., I could offer parts for sale- But the crank weights a ton !!, more than my old back will even lift now.

They are out there even the probably best is to find an older 230 complete motor to get parts out of and will most likely the cheapest way to get 'er done. :)

Best of Mopar to ya,

DJ

• Like 1

I bought a 230 as a temporary fix while I suppose to rebuild the 218.  I ended up having the 230 rebuilt after I couldn't get it running.  In the long run I just should have rebuilt the 218 and saved myself time and maybe money.  Also I ended up modifying the bell-housing and transferring all of the 6 volt and external parts from the 218 to the 230.  

I had to re-plum the internal oil lines so that  I could reuse the 218 oil-pan, because the 230 oil pan didn't fit in the engine compartment.  This does NOT apply in your case.

Just Sayin.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

On 1/29/2017 at 5:46 PM, plyroadking said:

What about the cam? I would assume that with a longer stroke the duration would be different?

I would like to have the larger 230 myself. Seems that plyroadking is correct in the came should be different.

Changing the rotating assembly would give you the cubic inches, but not change the way it breathes to handle the new volume.

But searching the part numbers may prove they were the same.

But having 2 trucks and 4 218's Seems I will be staying with the more common 218.  *sigh*

Currently the car has a Dodge 230 in that runs good but has an appetite for oil.  He has a line on a Plymouth 218, so he should have all the pieces to make the swap to the longer stroke motor while returning a "P" block back into the car with upgraded internals.

Edited by greg g