Just took a huge leap "Backwords"

Dajudge

So last April my 13 year old daughter and I bought a 49 3/4 ton Pilot house.  I have been slowly taking it apart and came to the realization that this thing is never going to be done by the time she turns 16.

Today I just paid for and we are now waiting for a 48 Pickup to arrive from North Carolina.  We will have a really good looking, running, and driving truck that we can work on small projects with. 

We "backed up a year" and are cheating but still achieving our goals.

Cool truck to drive to school and great father daughter time.  Now we just have to wait.

It is everything we wanted, it's a Red 48, has a ford 9" rear with 3.55 gears, new rubber on all the glass, new wide white walls, new wiring,a baseball cap "Visor", and a brand new Cherry Bomb.  She doesn't know that yet but will when she gets home.  She wanted to put a Cherry Bomb on it.

We still get to do the interior, put disk brakes up front, clean up the engine bay, put the wood bed back in.  It has a metal bed now.  Should be fun and best of... We get to drive it now.  She will have a years worth of driving before she heads out on her own in it.

So, we will be using what we need off the 49 and then the community will have a treasure trove of solid parts for their projects.

post-5997-0-63595600-1390427177_thumb.jpg

post-5997-0-48090200-1390427196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dajudge

Nice looking truck, Don't look at as a leap backwards. Look at the time you and your daughter will now get to enjoy a rolling running project to play with and make it  your/her own. A running project will keep her interested and hands on longer. Enjoy the time, I hear they are only young once.

the original truck was up for sale for almost 2 yrs, and from all of the pictures I saw from the previous owner, the beast was *ahem* a good fixer-upper.  It wasn't a total basket case, but it had been parked out by the road in north TX and it showed:  surface rust inside & out, wiring shot, powertrain needed a complete overhaul...it really needs to be completely dismantled in order to get it respectable, more work & $$$ to get it highway-friendly.  That's a long row to hoe when there's a buggy closer to the finish line, sittin' in the driveway, ready to go to Dairy Queen on a Saturday.  I've got a few parts trucks that I don't have a For Sale sign posted, but when folks roll up to the house to ask what they can drive off with, I motion towards them and shoot them a number cuz they could be fixed up if somebody had the means & motive :cool:

Very cool truck, congrats on the buy. Has it been lowered at all? And i love those white wall tires what size are they?

Thanks,

-Chris

He said the lowering was done simply by removing leafs, leaves, however you talk about leaf springs.  We have a 3/4 ton so we have plenty to put back if we want.  I'll let you know the tire size when it gets here.

Nice looking truck, Don't look at as a leap backwards. Look at the time you and your daughter will now get to enjoy a rolling running project to play with and make it  your/her own. A running project will keep her interested and hands on longer. Enjoy the time, I hear they are only young once.

Awesome truck. Looks more like a leap forward. :)

Hey guys my news grabbing headline had more to do with backing up to a 48 from the 49.  I know this actually a huge leap forward.  :)

Kevin, this just means you will probably be seeing our instruments a lot sooner.

Edited by Dajudge

Oh yeah,

The gentleman we are getting the truck from said her name was "Dolly."  Because she was old but still looked good.  I thought that was great and Kaitlyn loved it and has already started calling it Dolly.  He He!

While the two Dollys are posting right here on the forum, the two trucks are @1500 miles apart. 

I think we could use a few more Dolly Dodges in the world! ^_^

48D

Edited by 48dodger

That's a nice truck. Good score, very good score.

"Ancient Blue" is really "Eddie". My grandparents, who traded in a 33 Hudson Terraplane on it brand new in 1949, were Edward and Dolly...

You've got the visor and wide whites, needs some "dummy" Appletons or a set of real spotlights, and some round yellow foglights on the bumper...

Edited by Scruffy49

He said the lowering was done simply by removing leafs, leaves, however you talk about leaf springs.  We have a 3/4 ton so we have plenty to put back if we want.  I'll let you know the tire size when it gets here.

Cool, thanks for the info. 

-Chris

She's on her way to us.

Dan it is a '42 Fulton, he said he paid $1500 bucks for it.  We love the baseball cap look!

post-5997-0-04919600-1390609977_thumb.jpg

post-5997-0-03880600-1390609986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dajudge