THRobinson

Just a quick question, was about to order an oil filter online, figured I'd come here first and make sure I have the correct one. Searched and saw a few posts about toilet paper, and a few about Mopar oil filter adapter kits... which now makes me wonder if I just need a filter? or a filter and something else?

I was looking at a FRAM C134PL for my '47 Dodge Sedan. Few sites have them fairly cheap... assuming will fit, but, again, when I saw a few posts about adapters, I figured I'd better ask.

Oh... um, should be stock.

Amazon, and a few other sites, when I type in make/model/year show this filter as the right one. What do I need to look at/measure? I have a US model, was brought to Canada, previous owner far as I know never modified anything.

Can't take it out and go by the photo, since sites often use a stock generic photo for products.

I have an ac filter canister style on my 39 desoto and I am currently using the NAPA Gold 1010 filter. Basically it is the same filter that as the Fram 134PL. 

If you can take out your old filter fromthe canister then measure the one that is inthe unit this will then let you now the sice that fits.  If you take off the lid to the canister you might beable to read on the top of the filter what is currently being used..

The biggest issue is getting the correct rubber gasket to fit the lid to prevent any oil from leaking out of the top of the filter canister.  If you can not find one to fit then make one from gasket material.  This is what i had to do.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Be careful, because the Frams tend to be a tad shorter than the older filters. I ran a C3 in my truck for awhile, and had it propped up on a ring of wood to match the Texaco T11 insert I took out... sold the canister, mount, lines and a new 1011 or 1010 insert (no sock version) that I made sure fit to another forum member, haven't heard back on it so I assume it works as it did on my truck.

Cost at Tractor Supply for a Fram is within a couple dollars of the NAPA/Wix version. The inserts from Fram aren't as bad as their spin on filters, yet.

Edited by Scruffy49

I bought a small batch of old aftermarket oil filters from a friend....and each one came with a new lid gasket.  

If those gaskets don't fit tight or right, the filter will definitely spray oil all over your engine compartment.......(don't ask how

I know.)

... sold the canister, mount, lines and a new 1011 or 1010 insert (no sock version) that I made sure fit to another forum member, haven't heard back on it so I assume it works as it did on my truck.

Scruff,

Here's what you sent me.  The pic on the left shows the NAPA 1010 filter you sent along with the gasket that was included in the NAPA box (which doesn't fit).  Note the difference in sizes.  The bigger size was already in the lid of the filter you sent.  I don't know what filter this gasket came with ... maybe someone out there does.  This is as far as I've gotten with the oil filter project as I haven't installed it yet.  It looks like I'll need to go to NAPA to try to sort out this obvious gasket problem.  

post-2924-0-43136800-1375726473_thumb.jpg

post-2924-0-48069100-1375726475_thumb.jpg

Edited by ptwothree

Check out a napa 1080. I believe I did the opposite switch myself. FYI I used the 1080 and the old gasket for about 10 years before discovering the 1010.

Check out a napa 1080. I believe I did the opposite switch myself. FYI I used the 1080 and the old gasket for about 10 years before discovering the 1010.

Does this mean that the 1010 and 1080 filters are interchangeable but the 1080 has the bigger gasket?

Does this mean that the 1010 and 1080 filters are interchangeable but the 1080 has the bigger gasket?

They are certainly very similar. The 1080 doesnt have the reinforced rubber center for the posts. Its more of just a fiber center.

Are there any markings on the filter canister that would identify the brand or model? This might help determine which filter element is correct for that filter. There were a few different filter manufacturers used as aftermarket filters on these engines. As I understand it, the filter was often a dealer installed item.

Merle

Sounds like buying a sheet of gasket material might be a good idea when on eBay buying a filter. Few websites that carry custom gasket sizes as well... once I get the dimensions of what I need I might see if I can find and order some. 

The one sent is a Purolater housing. The old gasket still worked fine. Not very much pressure gets to it with it sandwiched between the lid and the canister body. At most, tack it to the lid with a swipe of grey gasket goop.

The housing and lid that came on my later model 230 (unit sent is off a 49 truck engine, was swapped onto the truck's P15 replacement engine in the late 50s or early 60s) is a completely different style. High lid, hard lines instead of reinforced rubber, mount shape...