Lipstick On A Pig

larryconnors

I don't. Its one of the few external accesories I wouldn't mind having. I don't care for visors and my car had a spotlight that I took off and sold. I probably won't be reinstalling the third center mounted bumper guard either.

on some cars they look great..on others they are/can be a detractor..I have a set, got them for the coupe..now not so sure I want them on there..my direction of the build changed a bit from purchase to actual start of the project..I may stick them in place just for a visual and take a photo or two just to get the overall look as others would see them

got them put them on...see how they look..they come right back off if you don't care for them..they also will resell I believe..

I don't like them in all applications, but I'd say the P15 is the type of body style that can pull off a set of fender skirts.

I think Tim is right that if you don't like them, they shouldn't be too hard to resell.

I would say that bolt on and snap on accessories that are period correct, are an eye of the beholder thing.  As long as they come off without leaving scars and or holes, they allow the car to be put back to stock appearance it doesn't matter to me. 

• Like 1

Reworked into custom flush mounts I like, sitting outside the wheel well lip, not so much. And it depends on what your intention is for the overall build... period kustom needs flush mounts and a visor/spotlights... bomber style lowrider needs a set of well fit stock type skirts or bubble skirts and preferably visor/spotlights/foglights/swamp cooler air conditioning... stock with a set of period correct over the wheel well lip skirts is a take 'em or leave 'em, love 'em or  hate 'em deal. They look just fine on the red coupe and the vert, but I still prefer flush mounted.

Now, on the truck side, a 48-50 PH with a 39-47 rear fender swap and a set of bubble skirts looks great. The stock 48-52 round top fenders are tolerable skirted, the 53-85 fenders look like crap with skirts, regardless of the type.

I'm very flattered by Neil's comment.
Totally agree that it's all down to personal opinion.

When I first put the skirts on my 'vert I didn't like them - I thought the car's styling lost its balance and the rear looked too 'heavy'.

With stainless beauty rings on the wheels and Buick trims added to the skirts it took on a whole different look, and I really like it now.

Here are two comparison pictures....

post-25-0-74679300-1370870405_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-71512700-1370870713_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-35641200-1370878992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)

See its not the skirts its the trim rings......

I though customized was adding or removing things to a car according to the owners style and wishes.  By dropping the tail, adding bubble skirts, evap coolers spots and a visor, you have built a car according to an established model. so apart from the pinstriping and color how is it a custom.

yes Greg, the trend by mags and other special interest social groups tend to say build your car the way you like it as long as it looks just like all the others....thought we had our fill of this with the 32's..would hate to see it go to the "seen one you've seen them all" class.....my opinion is the above mentioned fall into cults more so than any particular vehicle class..

yes Greg, the trend by mags and other special interest social groups tend to say build your car the way you like it as long as it looks just like all the others....thought we had our fill of this with the 32's..would hate to see it go to the "seen one you've seen them all" class.....my opinion is the above mentioned fall into cults more so than any particular vehicle class..

It is pretty overdone, especially in the rat rod and lowrider bomber scenes. But, that's what the average show goer expects/wants to see, so that is what gets built. 32 Fords? Bleah... I left mine in WA when I moved back to TN. Good riddance, and it was an actual factory production car instead of a Brookeville or fiberglass repop. Never wanted it (uncle foisted it off on me because he got stuck with it to get a couple 35s he wanted), never did anything with it but bounce it around the pasture a couple times and park it out of sight to rot in peace. Not worth fixing, the body has enough bullet holes to look like a collander...

Scruffy...I cannot follow that line of thinking at all ...so you build to suit the viewer and not to suit yourself, your needs and personal comfort....man am I off base..I thought we built cars to our liking..personalized to our wants and needs...to build the manner in which you described say cult following...cannot do what the next man does...

• Like 1

A coupe I saw at a show.................not bad...........

100_8027-1.jpg

Of course, I like them on mine...................

100_3839.jpg

Ok,having never seen them on a P-15 and not usually liking them a whole lot,I was prepared to not like them.

You just changed my mind.