Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

How About A P15 With Sunroof??

BobT-47P15

.......or maybe it's a moon roof.  This is the first one I've seen with that treatment.  Is currently on

eBay......just putting it on here for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure). :confused:

Link to the ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-Custom-Plymouth-/261190078166?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cd0244ed6

post-22-0-71381200-1364538087_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

About 20 years ago everyone was cutting their roofs open to install a aftermarket sunroof. Of course they all leaked. At the U-Pull-Apart I saw a 52 Plymouth with one-GAWD was it ugly.

OK, Here is some education for everyone. In 1939 Chrysler Corp did not offer any Convertable models for the Chry/Desoto/Dodge models only the Plymouth had the convertables.

We do have factory pictures in the Plymoth Desoto book that shows a 1939 Desoto with a facorty installed sunroof.  I have never persoanlly seen this car but we do know that it was an option.  We do not have any numbers on how many were produced.

So the sunroofs were nothing new in the mid 50's.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Studebakers had them in the mid sixties.

I don't mind the color combo and I don't mind the sunroof although I think it would have of presented better with it closed.  Visors don't do anything for me personally and the wheels wouldn't be my choice for attractive either but each to their own.

I see by the reflections on the drivers door that the body lines don't match up along with a huge gap at the top of the door.  I would have expected a much better fit if I was paying someone.  Considering the price and no reserve, I wonder how legit this ad is.

Edited by Dave72dt

Didn't the DeSoto taxis in NYC in the late '30s or early '40s have a sun roof arrangement? Seems to me I've seen that in movies of the era with people looking up at the skyscrapers...

Yes, I 've seen pics of a 40s sedan taxi with a sun roof in a couple reference books. 

I think they called those sunroof cabs the "Skyview" model.

Then, I found these pics.......said this cab had a glass panel at rear of the roof for viewing.

post-22-0-36989200-1364669042_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-10559000-1364669231_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Most English cars from the early 30's had a sunroof option.........from what I understand it was to allow liquid lubrication of the Lucas electrics and/or Smiths instrumentation...........then of course it might just have been to help keep the shine on the woodgrain trim..........lol........andyd