1952 B3b with Cummins 4bt

1952B3b23

I took my old ones to Napa and got me a set. The length is all that is needed, I think.

Yea ill do that. I need shocks about two inches longer than my old ones, my spring packs have an extra leaf or two than what was on the truck.

-Chris

At first I thought you "sanitized" your hand before you hand packed the bearing!   :huh:  When out working in the field, we cleaned our hands with dirt. Nothing removes grease faster than clean dirt, be it damp or dry.  The Indians used sand and that works best. 

You must have learned that greasing the axle on your conestoga on the wagon train to Cali....................

I got a little more work done today. I was able to get the rest of the front suspension together. Then i took the frame down off of my home made frame rotisserie and threw some wheels on. Those are not the wheels and tires i will be using on the truck, theyre the old ones that came with it when i bought it. 

Thanks for looking,

-Chris 

post-4471-0-40763300-1391297102_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-52267900-1391297111_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-18770300-1391297124_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-54779500-1391297139_thumb.jpg

I hate to be the one to notice this, but Charlie's instruction sheet for the Pilot house pickup is in error, the calipers go on the rear to avoid hitting the shock absorber. You don't have them mounted yet so you would not have noticed the interference when turning lock to lock.

Putting them on the back gets them closer to the existing brake lines, but you will also discover a problem with the tie rod, solvable.

Dennis

I agree with the interference of the caliper and shock if you mount them forward. But I turned the wheel multiple times lock to lock and discovered no interferences. So I can't relate to the problem with the tie rod. His directions could be a bit more specific on the caliper orientation and also on the brake pad clips. I had to email him on installing the clips cause I've never seen them go on like that before. I think if he revised his directions periodically and maybe add some more pics he'd get less emails requiring help. Another thing I noticed was that the mounting bolts he supplied are grade 5. I'd think that on something as important as brakes using a grade 8 bolt is an inexpensive safeguard. So I ordered some from McMaster-Carr and ditched the grade 5 stuff. All in all I'm happy with his kit and Charlie was a very great person to do business with.

Thanks for looking,

-Chris

Since i now have he front end back together i decided to put the motor in there and see what i was up against. At first i had some serious problems. The starter and steering box wanted to occupy the same space and i had almost no room to push the motor towards the passenger side to gain clearance (pic 1). Plus its a big ole starter off my 1992 12 valve 6bt so gaining enough room for it was not gunna happen. This setup of having the starter on the drivers side is with the adapter plate that mates to the Getrag G360 bell housing that i wanted to use. My main reason for using this tranny was because i got it for free and its a 5 speed with OD so its nice for cruising. 

So i grabbed a beer and started thinking about my dilemma. Thats when i remembered that the borg warner T19 tranny that i got with my 4bt had the starter on the passenger side. I pulled the Getrag starter and adapter plate off and put on the starter and adapter plate off the T19. Put the motor back between the rails and she just about fits like a glove. Moving the starter to the passenger side was exactly what i needed. The motor will now be able to be centered nicely in the rails, and along with running a front sump oil pan there is no clearance issues between the drag link or axle. I also wanted to keep it as low as possible without creating problems so i can keep the center of gravity low and close the hood without issue. The only thing i dont like about running the T19 is that its a 4 speed and has a very low granny gear for 1st. It was out of a box truck so thats no surprise. I wonder if i had the tranny rebuilt if they could swap my low first gear for something a bit higher, any one know if thats possible? Ive attached a bunch of pics for your viewing pleasure. Picture 1 is of the starter/steering box problem, the rest are with the starter on the passenger side.      

Thanks for looking,

-Chris

post-4471-0-93502500-1391484978_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-92790700-1391484985_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-56514200-1391484994_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-30397500-1391485008_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-51299400-1391485020_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-33512500-1391485030_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-76717900-1391485038_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link. My jewels are precious. And for that reason I'm out. :eek:

bah, never been hit above the ankle, unless you are really slow you can move out of the way.  Even then its a small nick.

Chris,

Since this motor was used in many apps. have you checked with someone who rebuilds this starter type to the styles avail. to fit on the driver side to use your choice of trans.?

Maybe a diff, configureation of the starter from a diff. app. would work?

Just a thought,

Doug

This is my fibble attempt to get things back on topic for Chris......

What kind of beer was it that had the magic "Aha" power to get the engine set in right....

...and what color are you painting the motor?? B)

48D  

Chris,

Since this motor was used in many apps. have you checked with someone who rebuilds this starter type to the styles avail. to fit on the driver side to use your choice of trans.?

Maybe a diff, configureation of the starter from a diff. app. would work?

Just a thought,

Doug

I have not checked on what kind of other starters are available for this application but what i can say is that a starter on the drivers side of the motor is a no go. It interferes with the steering box to much. The only way would be to relocate the steering box outside the frame rails somehow. I tried looking for an adapter plate that will allow me to use the Getrag G360 but puts the starter on the passengers side but havent been able to find anything. Im not sure they make anything like that, it'd probable have to be a custom piece. Thanks for the comment.

-Chris 

-Chris 

This is my fibble attempt to get things back on topic for Chris......

What kind of beer was it that had the magic "Aha" power to get the engine set in right....

...and what color are you painting the motor?? B)

48D  

That would be the champagne of beers, Miller High Life  :D

Im going to paint the motor my favorite color, black.

-Chris