Low side vs. High side

richardb

I have a 1953 dodge shortbox truck and I am trying to figure out if I have a low side or high side box. My box sides measure about 19" to the bottom of the curl and about 22 " to the top of the curl. Is this a low side or a high side box. I want to get it right before I order new box sides. If I got it wrong that would be one expensive mistake. Thank you everyone for your help.

Are they even reproducing the high box sides? If so, I would be very interested!

David A.

there are new headboards and tailgates being repoped, I haven't heard of a side tho.

Would anyone be able to measure how high they are? My box sides are all apart and have been apart for the last 16 years. It is hard to compare them. I measured them and they are about 22" to the top of the curl. The side I have almost looks like the low side. I also have different fenders which came on the 53. Mine are not so rounded. I am just hoping someone will be able to measure the boxes to help me out. Thank you very much.

High box sides also have reinforcing horizontal ribs popped into sheet metal and the low box sides are flat sheet metal, both having similar rounded tops and stake pockets.

1949 to 1952 B Series rear fenders are rounded and the late B Series models started using flat top rear fenders in 1953, generally called B4's.

I am surprised that there are so many of you that own the trucks but none of you would do me the favor of taking a tape measure and measuring the height of the box sides. It takes about 10 seconds when you are at your truck. I just don't want to make a mistake. Thank you for your help

I haven't been near my truck with a tape measure lately. However, there is a very noticable visual difference between the two different boxes. The high side beds have embossed ribs that run the length of the sides, which can be seen in the picture of Dan's green truck posted earlier in this thread. The low side beds have smooth sides, as seen on Reg's yellow truck posted by Paul. The tailgates are also noticably different. If you look at the same pictures and study the tailgates you will see the differences in the embossments.

Merle

Low side Measurements....

Just for you Richard, I grabbed a coat, flashlight and tape measure and measured mine. On the box side, by the front stake pocket, on the outside, it measured 31 1/2 " from the very bottom to the very top. On the inside of the box, from the angle strip to where the flare starts is 20". Mine is a high side B3B.

The '53 fenders run closer to the top flare on a high side than the earlier fenders do and may leave a distance similar in appearance to the earlier fenders with a low side box. The key to high side vs low side is the embossed pattern or ribs in the side panels. Ribs = high side. no ribs =low side. You either have them or you don't.

It is now obvious that I own a high side box. I thank you very much for all your help. I am searching yet am unable to find anyone who manufactures new box sides for the high side. Has anyone found any?

I don't know of, or heard of, anyone repopping the box sides. Head boards and tailgates, yes, but not the sides. One reason they command a good price when they are offered up for sale.

Unless what you have is really bad, they're repairable. Even the really bad is repairable with enough time and patience. It's just steel. Nothing wrong with putting a low side bed on it either.

If you change to a low side bed the high side tailgate won't work.

High side tailgate = block embossment top and bottom of name "DODGE

Low side tailgate = rectangular/half round embossed around name "DODGE"

48D

If you change to a low side bed the high side tailgate won't work.

High side tailgate = block embossment top and bottom of name "DODGE

Low side tailgate = rectangular/half round embossed around name "DODGE"

48D

Typically, the tailgate suffers as much or more than the sides do. If I was looking for new sides, I'd look for a new tailgate and front panel as well. But then if your as talented as Bud is, you'd just make a new one.

• 3 years later...

I have a low side box. attached is the info I found on the internet. 

1953-1955 SHORT BEDS Series: 1953 - B-4, 1954 - C-1, 1955 - C-1 & C-3.

1. New fender introduced.  This fender would be used until the stepside beds were dropped from production in 1985.
  2. Boxes are now 2" shorter than previous years at 76-1/8" inside length starting in 1953.  This affects the bed wood, bed strips, and angle strips and bedsides.
  3. New wood floor layout with seven bed strips and eight wood boards.  Pine wood was now used instead of oak.
  4. Bed strip and angle strip hole patterns changed slightly between 1954 and 1955.
  5. Bedsides are still angled outward at the top.
  6. "Low side" and "high side" boxes are both available with the "low side" box standard equipment.
  7. Tailgates and front panels for both boxes remain unchanged from 1950-1952.
Edited by Sparky52Dodge

Maybe supply has changed, but I couldn't even get new high side stake pockets last spring, and I looked hard as well for a low side box, but if you need both sides, then you can go low side, just means a bunch more $ for the tailgate and box front panel