Plymouth Business Coupe (custom)

T120

Anyone recognize this Plymouth coupe?..Was apparently purchased in Arizona several years back and now resides in southern Alberta.Has a Corvette drivetrain and what appears to be the original (modified?) front suspension.The art work off to the side of the trunk is kinda neat...Also a photo of a 1937 Studebaker Express pickup.Summer weather finally :)

post-423-13585362308606_thumb.jpg

post-423-13585362309153_thumb.jpg

post-423-13585362310071_thumb.jpg

post-423-13585362310518_thumb.jpg

Yes,Bob - I like those Studebaker Express trucks as well.About as close as I will get to owning one is the toy model I have.;) It's a local truck, brought here from the US as a project many years back and fixed up close to original.It looks really good.

...and,Greg - Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the same coupe you saw in New York.It has some distinctive features.I'll remember a particular car or features going way back - although I'm not so good on names and faces.I got down and looked underneath the car.A critical look at the body,mounts, suspension,interior, modified sheet metal,etc. and it appeared to be well done.A few flaws now showing.I don't claim to be an expert though...:)

One thing about the coupe that I have never understood is the guy who puts a bellybutton lint motor in his Plymouth and then does something like the ship on the side to advertise it as a Plymouth. You see this kind of thig with embroidery on the seats, large emblems on the trunk divider, pinstriping as with the ships and any other kind of external ID.

If you are so proud of having a Plymouth that you want to make sure the world knows what it is, why are you putting a Chevy motor in it? Or is it that they are embarrased by the fact that they have another belly button and hope that if they put enough Plymouth ID on the car nobody will notice their choice of drivetrain?

Perhaps the 49 Plymouth bumpers were a knock off of the 37 Desoto. After I oticed the car in the picture I believe its the black thing in the background, I noticed something that gladdened my heart. The DeS has bugs on it. Gotta love the evidence that it gets driven.

Just wishing that the reflection in the fender was a bit better so we could have an all around representation of the other example of fine design present..............

She certainly is easier to look at than the blowhard in the shorts that usually does those old cars videos.

One thing about the coupe that I have never understood is the guy who puts a bellybutton lint motor in his Plymouth and then does something like the ship on the side to advertise it as a Plymouth. You see this kind of thig with embroidery on the seats, large emblems on the trunk divider, pinstriping as with the ships and any other kind of external ID.

If you are so proud of having a Plymouth that you want to make sure the world knows what it is, why are you putting a Chevy motor in it? Or is it that they are embarrassed by the fact that they have another belly button and hope that if they put enough Plymouth ID on the car nobody will notice their choice of drivetrain?

So I'm curious - what would you have him do?

Perhaps he should put a disclaimer on the hood?

Or maybe he should remove all references to Plymouth, based on him drivetrain blasphemy?

Better yet, he should not be allowed in the company of the real P15 aficionados, instead banished to the farthest corner of the fairgrounds?

Just wondering.

I quit going to the Mopar show where I grew up because of powertrain snobbery. Which does have a non-mopar engined display section.I'd rather see running than rusting in the back field. Even though I do despise general mistake company engines (with a few exceptions, think 455 Rocket).

If that coupe having a Vette engine is that offensive, I have a 48 P15 218 engine you can come pick up and give to him. It's a worn out useless piece of junk with a bunch of broken rings, but it is a P15 engine. Okay, P15 block, the rest is truck 218 stuff. The whole mess is getting replaced by a 230, 57 vintage, from a Savoy that now runs a Vette 350... (not my car, friend of a friend in Tulsa).

I'd drive that coupe even if it had a pathetic little Willys Go-Devil (144 ci L4). Or a Lexus/Tundra V8 (seen it done, not that difficult).

Get over it.

Girl has nice headlights...:D Would love to see her rear bumper...

That '37 Studebaker Express used to belong to a member of the car club Ralph and I are in. I believe it is still in the family. It is about as stock as they come. The restorer, now dead, was a Studebaker man to the core. He had some great cars but sold them all off, except for the Express, as his health deteriorated.

As for the Plymouth hotrod, I have no problem with it if it was destined for the junkyard. My guess is that it was likely a decent car before it was rodded. There are not a lot of hot rodders around here that start with a basket case anymore. Most rodders start with a good original or a restored car as there is far less bodywork to do. I had a friend who had a great '41 stock Plymouth and the guy who bought it couldn't wait to rod it. I still say the original cars will be worth more in the future as there will be so few of them.

Edited by RobertKB
Add information

Is that damn for me or the chick in the maroon dress?
I think yes to both:D

A girl like that could ruin a man.........................if he was lucky

So I'm curious - what would you have him do?

Perhaps he should put a disclaimer on the hood?

Or maybe he should remove all references to Plymouth, based on him drivetrain blasphemy?

Better yet, he should not be allowed in the company of the real P15 aficionados, instead banished to the farthest corner of the fairgrounds?

No, No, No, possibly. You are missing the point I made completely. I have no problem with a guy putting a Chevy drivetrain in their Plymouth if that is what they want to do. Not what I would do with it but it is his car.

Look at it this way, if your neighbor had a Rolex watch which no loger runs and he goes and buys a Timex at Wally World and put the Timex movement in the Rolex case behind the Rolex dial, then comes to you showing off his watch do you still consider it a Rolex?

One nice ride---would anyone turn this car down if you won it in a contest? I would be happy to own it. Good to see it on the road VS the boneyard...Lee

It is a nice car and no, I would not turn it down if I won it in a contest. But, I would pull the Chevy drivetrain and replace it with Mopar just my personal preference. I also agree with you that it is good to see it on the road rather than junked.

I'd rather see running than rusting in the back field.

Agree with you 100%

If that coupe having a Vette engine is that offensive,

Don't find it offensive at all. As I said in my original statement and try to point out with the scenario above, if that is what you want do it. My question is why do you build it with the heart of a Chevy and then say hey look at me driving a Plymouth?

If I had a 67 Camaro or a 65 Mustang and decided to upgrade them with a Hemi I dang sure would not be putting a big Bowtie or Blue Oval on it. I would be advertising what I considered to be the upgrade and put Hemi badges on the fenders and a Mopar logo in the pinstripes.

I agree with the whole GM powertrain idea that it just isn't right. I would never do that. Someday when I have time and a ton of extra money to burn, I would like to buy a 67-69 Camaro and drop in a FORD 351 w/C6 tranny, nine inch rear end. It doesn't even need to run. Drop it off at a car show and disappear into the crowd and see everyones reaction. I think there would be a linching. One of the main reasons that the small block is used is price, price and price and possibly the availability of chromed up aftermarket parts. You can buy one and bolt it in for cheap. Sorry, but the idea of a small block in that Plymouth is a complete turn off. When I go to car shows and I see something like that, I speak up about it or just ignore it and shake my head in disappointment. I get some strange looks but so what. Why would you spend all that money on a car and restoration and then to try and save a few buck, drop in a small block. There isn't any originality to it. A lot of people do it so it has lost it's appeal. Oh, but they can say, "It has a Vette engine in it". Who cares, my grandma can do that. If that plymouth had a 426 Max Wedge in it, then that would be absolutely cool and would draw peoples attention. That would get some very excited. He may be even lucky enough to get the girl to stand in front of his car with a dress like that.

....Interesting comments on the Plymouth.:)..Maybe that's why the car was parked all by itself on the street on Sunday - It wasn't worthy.:o I spotted the car and was drawn to check it out as it was a P15 and looked very nice.

There was no one else about and I looked underneath the car to see what modifications to the frame and suspension might have been done and took a couple of photos.

An elderly fellow saw me checking out the car and came up to me and introduced himself as the owner of the car.We chatted a bit.I gather a younger family member had the car out for the day and he seemed surprised to see it parked on the street :eek:

The car may be available for sale if a person was interested...

post-423-13585362318537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe