buyers advice on a little red pilot house

I found a pilot house in a barn and wish I would have taken more pictures. It's for sale and I'm just looking for some help to get a general idea of what it's worth and what I should expect to pay. I dont know a lot about old dodge trucks other than they are very cool. I know that the NADA is usually off a little on old classics especially in this economy, nobody is buying old cars right now are they?

Nada says low retail is around $6,000 but off the top of my head I'm thinking $1,500-2,000 or am I missing something ultra special about these?

From what I've gathered it's a 1948-50 with the 5 window

It's in relatively decent shape and was running when parked about 15 years ago. It's on 4 flat tires ( I know that cost a pretty penny if I want to go original pizza cutters) the interior is nice , missing the paper glovebox and maybe a knob or two, but all there... minimal rust underneath from what I saw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

NADA price is for running, driving, legal, safe, complete vehicles. That one is not running, driving, legal or safe at this point. There's a few things missing, tires and brakes need to be replaced, steering and suspension need to be gone through as well, engine may need to be rebuilt/replaced. Factor those costs into the purchase price and a lot of money comes off the NADA.

Holy Cow is that some one's storage building??? Is the pink and white 56 a La Femme optioned car???

I believe thats a 55. Sure looks like it might say LaFemme on the front fender. Other options would be coronet royal or custom royal which the letters dont seem to fit into. Dad found me a 55 4dr sedan with a hemi and powerflite here locally. Quite nice but I don't have the $

49D,

Can you enlighten us on why you say the door is from a 3/4 ton? I'm still new to these trucks as well & I can't see anything that gives it away.

Thanks,

Bryan

I think he meant B-3 or B-4, not B 3/4 ton. Doors are the same between the sizes, the YEARS can e different by the crease commng off the front fender.

YES that is a 55 La Femme, (sold already and I dont have that kind of $$ anyhow)

I do like the coronet, it's got the v8 red ram hemi.

True about the NADA, but it's hard sometimes to convince the seller that it's going to need lots of work to make it a driver.... Usually they think that if you pump the tires up and get a new battery it's ready to roll.

What's your opinions on the 37 MC? I think that those are REAL sharp trucks.

IMG_3148.JPG

caio for now

These pictures remind me of the desoto auction in Spensor Iowa a few years back. This fellow had collected one of every year Desoto and stored them uncovered in A big shed or two. After his widow died, the rural church got them and hired an auction firm to sell them. This included a company hired to clean up each car and to start them. They used their own battery and fuel source and could demonstrate the engine at the auction. The odds are they could get more with a auction sale then this guy will.

Edited by Dennis_MN
Spelling

Most any of these you could just pretty much go off NADA low retail and knock off a little. they were all running at one point some 10-15 years ago....

And he knew how to pick em! so most dont have much rust.

I'll bet an auction would be a good way to max out the income.

Aaahhh. That makes sense. You can see a slight difference in the line between the fender/hood & the door. Thanks.

Bryan

Actually, it's the length of the crease in the door. B1 and 2's had a full door length crease where 3's and 4's only went part of the way back on the doors.

What's your opinions on the 37 MC? I think that those are REAL sharp trucks.

That's an awesome looking '37. Looks very complete, and in great condition. I'd say it was at least partially restored at one point, but the parts look right for the most part.

The grille being complete and in good condition alone is worth over $1k. I've seen the crank hole covers sell by themselves for over $600. The cast center section is fairly fragile, and since these were all work trucks they're almost always broken at the bottom at least.

Other than the grille and the window crank out mechanism, most of the other parts aren't too bad as far as cost goes. I wish my MC was that nice!

IMG_1371copy.jpg

moparmonkey, (or anyone super knowledgeable on 37s) Some guy saw a picture of the maroon and black 37 (below) and said that's a mix of different trucks, said that the bed is off a different year and the fenders were from a coupe and the headlights were wrong.... could this be possible? OR did he see the pic of the red 1950 pilothouse? so im wondering if he's really talking about that one and not the 37 because it seems real original to me...

and thanks for the info on the "cast center section" Now I just gotta figure out what/where that is so I can look for cracks... and yeah I cant get the window to crank out easily so I aint gonna push it too hard...

Shoot! your just needs a little glass and it'll be ready to roll! :P

thanks again!

Edited by ferdball

moparmonkey, (or anyone super knowledgeable on 37s) Some guy saw a picture of the maroon and black 37 (below) and said that's a mix of different trucks, said that the bed is off a different year and the fenders were from a coupe and the headlights were wrong.... could this be possible?

In a word, NO. The bed is correct as far as I can tell from the pictures (notice how it looks identical to mine?). In 1936 Dodge went to the 6 foot bed with a steel floor. In 1939 the floor changed to wood and never changed back. It might be possible (without seeing the floor) that its a '39-'47 bed, but I don't think so. A lot of people see the steel floored bed on a '37 and assume its from a later truck, but Dodge was just ahead of its time.

Rear coupe fenders have a totally different flange and will not bolt on to a truck bed, so the rear fenders are truck fenders. The fronts are either truck, or the coupe fenders are identical to truck fenders. I'm not sure. Both had optional wheel wells for spares, but you could also get them without (or dual!). Visually, the coupe fenders look the same as the truck fenders anyway, the only difference might be in the dimensions, in which case they wouldn't fit.

Headlights came in two varieties, the one's on the maroon '37 are Bi-Rays, same as on my truck. So, they're one of the stock versions, and correct.

OR did he see the pic of the red 1950 pilothouse? so im wondering if he's really talking about that one and not the 37 because it seems real original to me...

The '50 appears to have the correct bed (its the tall version), it has the correct fenders (no coupe fenders ever looked like that in '50) and the headlights look right.

My guess is whoever made those comments about the truck (regardless of which one, although I think he meant the '37) knows absolutely zilch about Dodges.

and thanks for the info on the "cast center section" Now I just gotta figure out what/where that is so I can look for cracks... and yeah I cant get the window to crank out easily so I aint gonna push it too hard...

You can check out the cast piece here. And notice what I mean about the prices. This one is overpriced even for being in 1 piece though.

The window crank on mine was a little difficult too, the center, fold out crank on the knob was stuck in the crank. But once that came out it was fairly easy. It may just need some WD-40.

Shoot! your just needs a little glass and it'll be ready to roll! :P

You sir, are quite the optimist. ;) My truck is almost 100% complete, but it needs quite a bit of work. Just take a look at that grille section I mentioned!

• 2 months later...

Take a look at this lot of pictures from that same barn find link... the cars are to drool over, but did you see the parts in that barn??? I could spend a month in there just shopping. :eek:

http://www.cornbinder.com/random_pics/dodgeparts1/