some progress...

52b3b Joe

Didn't they market the better turning radius on the B series trucks? I don't know if it is better than a typical W-series or not, but Joe and I got a good chuckle watching Ed make a Y turn where I just easily completed a U turn.

Yeah, they did market a tighter turn radius when they initially came out I believe. My brother and sister-in-law found and framed some adds for all of our cars which we have our guest bathroom decorated with, and one of the two truck ones they gave me advertise a better turn radius. 

Wheels are painted, now I wait until Saturday to get them back on the truck. They came out pretty nice, not perfect but good enough for the wheels. They are a lot better than they were! Here are some pictures of them during the process. I'll get some Saturday of them on the truck. 

post-3516-0-64356500-1383175374_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-91571900-1383175380_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-77425800-1383175387_thumb.jpg

I used PPG3088 which is crossed to RAL1015 which is the stock color from what I found on here. RAL1015 crossed to a GM color called camel beige desert sand, so that's the equivalent to our wheel yellow. I hope this helps you out!

Thanks it does.  I'm on two minds about the color.  I like the yellow but I also think my truck would also look better with black wheels. I'm not just sure how I'll handle a set of original wheels/tires.  I think they'll end up being for show days. I know I've lost a couple of shows to other trucks like mine and in one particular case a vehicle very poorly done BUT it had original wheels and hubcaps.

Malibu-01.jpg

Thanks for helping.  Got the Code,

Hank  :)

Hank,

Is it all about winning at car shows, or enjoying your truck as it is? I like the look of your truck with the black 8 spoke wheels.

Merle

:D Merle.......my thoughts exactly.

Hopefully he is getting the important stuff straightened out........cause I am challenging him to a drag race!

And I don't think he is going to like my Nitrous set up at all. :) 

Jeff

Thanks Merle I like them also. A little history; I picked them up at the Pomona Swap Meet in 1980 for $5 each.  They made it possible to run wider tires and also made the truck handle and ride a whole lot better. Then in 2005 when I started the second restoration, it just made sense to throw them onto the truck headed to Reliable Powdercoat and include them with all the mountain of other stuff being powdercoated. 

Before.jpg

It's not that I'm a car show freak.  There are some I don't attend because they seem to be biased or just plain dumb in their classification categories. If they don't have at least a Truck category I won't bother.  I learned that the hard way when I was assigned a parking place next to a cherry 1957 convertible Chevy.  The class was 50's...Guess who won ? rophies are for the most part dust collectors (except the posthumous piston I won at Tims a "Wish you were there" and I did wish I was there. 

We have some really nice shows and it's more about the cars, walking around with my wife and meeting new people and seeing old friends that make it fun.

I do want to have a set of original wheels I had two in storage for years and now thanks to Keven he sort of gave me them bit.  It may have been either out of the goodnes of his heart, or maybe it was screaming wife that said "Keven if you don't get those darn wheels I keep tripping over out of the garage...." (Big thanks Keven and I still owe you at least for shipping and then some..)

I think I'll paint them black.  I heard there's someone making correct 1950-1953 hubcaps out there something I overlooked when there were lots of Pilothouse trucks in Junk Yards..not Salvage Yards..before the days of eBay.

Edited by HanksB3B

If you want to compete in the Stock, restored class, those wheels and tires will have to go, you'll have to get rid of the blue engine color, and find some black paint to cover up that beautiful bed wood and tone down the shine on the paint. 

Just kidding!   Leave the bed and the shine alone.  I would like to see it with the correct rims, correct offset and color as well as a correct engine color or complementary green on the engine. 

Sorry man, just not a huge fan of that style wheel.

Edited by Dave72dt

It is a very nice blue.  I guess you could paint the truck blue to match. :rolleyes: ,  It was all word of mouth and a few magazines back then.  There's so much more access to information now.

Dave,

Unfortunately, I did not know about P15-D24 and never heard about Don Bunn. 

013.jpg

Not so easy now, (silver is very difficult to keep looking good)

Hank  :rolleyes:

not really, my POR15 paint is still looking good!

Yea, I wish I knew about that too. But you don't really drive your truck...

ooo,

Hank  :wub:

no parts for you from the oodles of parts being picked up this weekend, you are cut off!  :o

Hank,

About the wheel covers, I bought mine from Roberts. I'm happy with them. They are certified mopar reproductions (if that means anything or not). I'll post pictures of them shortly. Stay tuned (or in your case just your condensor... :P)!

Edited by 52b3b Joe

Hank,

About the wheel covers, I bought mine from Roberts. I'm happy with them. They are certified mopar reproductions (if that means anything or not). I'll post pictures of them shortly. Stay tuned (or in your case just your condensor... :P)!

Thanks Joe for taking some pics and for the laugh..

Well, here are some pictures of the wheels that are now painted the correct color with my new wheel covers on! I'm definitely not used to it, but I really like it! I took it for a 3 mile drive to see what its like with balanced wheels, and the truck is smooth as silk down the road. Now a shake, shimmy, or vibration to be found. I ran it up to around 65 mph and it was still vibration free and smooth. I really cannot believe how nice and easy this truck is to drive. For you view pleasures (or not) here are some pictures. It sure has come pretty darn far since the first day I laid eyes on it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Everything has been fighting me from a bent frame, to getting it to run right, to learning body work. Nearly every part has been a battle with it, there practically hasn't been a part on it that I haven't had to fix in some way, but it will all be worth it (just not financially...but that's not what its about)! I hope you have been enjoying my progress as much as I have, except for my few moments of frustration I have had on here...

post-3516-0-40335900-1383436712_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-41812600-1383436719_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-90234200-1383436725_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-62196000-1383436734_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-07585900-1383436741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1