OK, how many "young" guys do we have on this forum??

BobT-47P15

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how someone could make a living detasseling. :confused: It seems like a very short seasonal job. It must pay quite well.

Merle

I dont make a living from Detasseling. Its just a summer job that I have been doing since I was 13 to make extra cash to buy cars and tractors. It does pay very well, but you sure do work for that money!! A season is usually 3 to 4 weeks long in the dead of summer when it is the hottest. This last season we were working in 100 Degree to 110 degree weather from 7am to 5pm. The harder you work the more money you make. I usually averaged $150 to $200 a day, but you really must work hard and be good at it to make that. Its fun and you make a lot of friends doing it and it pays well so those are the reasons that I keep going back every year.

bailing hay is easy..driva da tractor..now if you are referring to picking it up, throwing it on the trialer, removing it from the trailer and getting it into the hayloft, throwing it to the back of the loft and stackin..yeah..am with you..you more than earn your money..and tasseling corn is childs play, sucker tobacco...talk about nasty...

Ya, I'm talking old school--stand on the moving hay wagon, hook the bale, stack the bale; go into the loft and stack some more-all done in 90+ degrees and high humidty. Later in life, when I felt bored and and confined sitting in an office, I would say to myself--at least I'm not bailing hay.

I'm 29 but have been crazy about cars since I could walk. I have two uncles that used to take me to work with them at a Nissan 240SX IMSA race shop. My grand parents flip old cars and I just got my 47 D24 last fall to redo but haven't put nearly the time I want to into it yet.

31 years old and been around old cars and trucks all my life. Grandpa finished the restoration on my '47 when I was a baby. There are pictures of me in the back seat asleep when it was on its way home from the upholstery shop. Always loved the old Plymouth and always dreamed of the day I would be able to drive it. Been driving it for 16 years now and have owned it for the last 5.

Once I got a hold of it I decided it was time to freshen up the paint and the motor. Had to add a few things too like OD and 12v conversion. Wiring needed replaced so went ahead and did the conversion. Grandpa is still around he just got bored with the old car. Decided he would give it to me to do something with. I've enjoyed working on the car with him and learning lots of things off this forum. He's learned things about his old car from me he never knew that I learned on this forum. You would of thought he knew after owning the car for 30 years.

Always enjoy the forum and glad the younger generation enjoys the old mopars too.

15, out of the three cars Ive owned two are mopar 1989 jeep cherokee and my favorite 1949 dodge b1b and soon to be 1953 plymouth suburban :D

Yay!! another '53 Suburban :) Back when I bought the Surburban I would have been considered one of the "younger guys" at 31 but now I'm 65 and only "young at heart". :D

Edited by 53_Suburban

I'm 40 and my P-15 is my first old car...maybe my only one? It's the fulfillment of a life-long desire to have a 40's car. When I bought it, I wasn't searching for a brand so much as the fat fenders 40s era. Now that I'm an owner...I'm a Mopar enthusiast.

So much to learn. So little time.

I'm not one of the "younger guys", but I did get my 46 when I was 24 years old - 30 years ago. The first family car I remember my Dad having was a 48 Dodge, he also had a 47 Plymouth for a short time. Next family car was a 53 DeSoto, then a 62 Chrysler Newport (later my first car), and after that it doesn't matter - I don't care for anything newer than that. (Except my son has a 75 Dodge Dart - his first car.)

I just make the "younger" crowd at mid forties and down. I am 45. I belong to the local antique auto club here as well. As my kids tell me, dad not just the cars are old. I feel very young at those meetings. But, they have been very helpful as well as you guys on here.

As before, my car picked me and I am very greatful.

On another note, my oldest son pased his driver's test today in a snowstorm. His next mission is to learn to drive the standard in my little Ranger truck. The three on the tree is aways away yet.

I'm 46.....The same number of old cars and trucks neatly diplayed around the yard. My brother sez I should charge addmission...lol.:D

48D

Hi Y'all!

Uncle woke up... I nice thread, I am positively surprised we have this much "young" folks abroad. The old farts are making most of the noise.

I am VERY impressed learning about Beatle65 backgrounds!

Congratulations for your fine collection (so far) - With that kind of dedication and determination I am sure you will open the collection for public some day.

I just hope I could visit there and then...

It's cool, that you earn the money for collecting vintage tractors by working on the field. I could not find "detasseling" in my online dictionary - I assume by context, that it is for gathering and packing hay on the fields? I did that occasionally in early 70's with an old man nearby my fathers house. We did it in "ol' style", shoveling hay with a pitchfork up to a flat bed lorry and from there to barn. On a sunny day (as it usually is in late July) - it's hard work.

All the best to you, Beatle65!

/Unkka

I was one of the young guys when I purchased my '41 Plymouth woodie 22 years ago. I knew for sure I was no longer a young guy when last year someone saw me getting out of the car and, after complimenting the car, asked me if I had had it since it was new.

Jim Yergin