OT: Tried her on the freeway for the first time today...

fedoragent

Folks,

Some of you have cautioned me about taking my 47 on the freeway and some of you have said...what the heck just do it. I took her two exits, she did indeed get loud as heck but I kept her at 55 - 60. No steering problem, no wobbling, no control issues. Should I consider myself lucky and try for 65? That AND I did this on California's first freeway. The historic Arroyo Seco Parkway. Ironically, here is a picture of the EXACT southbound direction I was headed before the last Pasadena exit.

CHS-49245?v=hr

FG.

Very cool FD, I would love to do the same thing with my 47.

55-60mph will sound busy, 65-70 mph will sound downright mad.

What diff ratio do you have?

You know...I actually have no idea. I'm figuring it is completely stock due to the stock parts (axle rod shafts) that went into her in July. What would that be?

FG.

You picked a good day as there were other old cars on the highway as well:)

When it comes to these cars 65-70 is pushing it. If you have done some prep work like changing the gear ratio and installing a cam with more carbs and dual exhaust You could try it, stock engine be careful.

Dual exhaust...check. Stock carb...unfortunately check. Going to be adding Langdon's rebuilt Weber. Gear ratio and cam. Don't know because I didn't rebuild the engine.

And 65 sounds insane....without an overdrive. The overdrive is sitting in my garage waiting to be rebuilt and installed in the car. It came out of a 54-56.

FG.

Hi FG, you could have ????, for diff gears, as over 63 years things can happen to an old car. The 10 spline axles were used until 1953 or 1954, you could literally have 3.73, 3.90, 4.10.

If this car is completely stock it could be a 3.90 diff, if you have the 4.11 they will let you know by 50 mph, they are getting angry.

I would keep it to 55-60 mph, until you ge the OD trans in there, then 65-70 mph should be no problem. My only concern at higher speeds with these old cars, is a collision, no air bags, safety equipment, crumple zones etc. I don't care if a Guy says he has aftermarket lap belts, might help a bit, but a false sense of security, at high speeds.

Not trying to be a doomsdayer, just you need to be careful in these old girls........Fred

Here is a calculator to determine RPM, with certain set-ups

http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm

Last month when I brought the '53 home from Redwood City I took 280 from Woodside Rd to the Page Mill exit. The first thing knew I looked down at the speedo and it said 70. The old girl was purring like a kitten and wasn't straining at all. I slowed down real quick because I had no idea I was going that fast, nor did I want to.

It had a rebuilt engine when I bought it so I have no idea of its history. Everything looked totally stock under the hood. I put Langdon headers on it recently but everything else is still stock.

post-7145-1358535667236_thumb.jpg

Put the OD in and try it. No reason to rebuild unless its found to be bad

You're saying don't rebuild it? You're saying to just install it, put a new governor and such in it and hope for the best? Wow. But it came out of a 50s Plymouth, not a 46-48. Doesn't it need to be modified?

FG.

if you want a bad scare... a slap of reality in case of a crash... you need to check youtube '2009 chevy malibu vs 1959 chevy bel air crash test'... our old cars don't hold up too good in a bad crash. seat belts wouldn't help the driver of the '59. just another reason to drive carefully!!!

yea, but that 59 chevy was also a bondo queen. Watch the video and look at the rust puff out.

Also, that was one of chevys worst frame designs ever. It was just a big X

Not only that, i don't believe it had a drive train in it either.

When I saw this video and first heard about ti, knew something was up. I figure these old cars are tough, but lacka few modern safety items fora crash.....Fred

You're saying don't rebuild it? You're saying to just install it, put a new governor and such in it and hope for the best? Wow. But it came out of a 50s Plymouth, not a 46-48. Doesn't it need to be modified?

FG.

Nope it requires no modifications to be installed in the 46-48 as long as its the plymouth version. The 3 we are running between Dad and I were just installed. No new governor or anything. Wired up and they run great.

I have an article from the past that states the highest road speeds in the USA in 1942 was 55 mph so that kind of gives and indication that our old cars were ment to travel at around that speed. I'm happy just to cruse a 55 and besides those old brakes just seem to work better at that speed. Got to stop you know!!!!!!!

I have an article from the past that states the highest road speeds in the USA in 1942 was 55 mph so that kind of gives and indication that our old cars were meant to travel at around that speed. I'm happy just to cruse a 55 and besides those old brakes just seem to work better at that speed. Got to stop you know!!!!!!!

Do you have a reference you could give for that article. The 55 MPH matches with what I've been able to find for California but I don't know about other states.

FG.

I purchased mine from a guy rodding a 53 Suburban with a HEMI / Automatic from a Dodge Ram PU. Brought it home, swapped it with the stock 48 three speed, wired it up and drove it. I even run the 6V Solenoid and Govenor on my 12V system. Had a couple of minor issues with the wiring but that was my fault. Other than correcting the wiring issue and making sure it was full of lubricant I have done nothing to the OD transmission. The OD has been in the car for about 2 years and is a daily driver.

Throw it in there and give it a shot. Not that difficult a swap, so if it needs rebuilding you could swap it, test it, and have your standard 3 speed back in the car in one solid day.

Edited by hkestes41

Before the advent of limited access highways, most states seemed to have adopted 55 as the state speed limit. Meaning that on most roads where there were no speed limit signs posted, the understood legal maximum speed was 55. Some western states because of straight roads, unlimited sight lines and lack of traffic may have had theirs set at 60. I recall whne the NY Thruway opened, Limited access toll road the limit was 60, and I seem to remember the same thing on the PA, and Mass Turnpikes.

From the current NYS Drivers Lisence manual;

You must obey the posted speed limit, or, if no limit is posted, drive no faster than 55 mph

Speed limit on the main highways here before the nationwide 55 limit were 65 day/60 night, trucks 55, secondary or side roads had posted speeds, usually 55, and on the unposted roads the law read as to speed on those roads "whatever is safe and prudent" which could change for the same road according to weather conditions, ect. If the law decided your speed wasn't safe and prudent he could give you a ticket solely upon his own discretion.

I always thought it kinda of funny that the passing lines on the marked highways were configured and marked out according to a 65 mile per hour speed, then they came along with the 55 mile per hour to supposedly save fuel, and the claim was also made that it would be safer. Now if you are passing a car at 55 it is going to take you a lot longer to get around, and ahead of the car you are passing than if you were doing 65. I never could get where that was safer.

Back in the 70's when my first 49 Chrysler was my DD, I regularly drove it at 63. Why 63 and not 65? The driveshaft was out of balance and had a "rolling vibration" at 65.

When my dad owned the same car, it would tow a tent trailer and the family at 60.

The only thing you have to get used to is the racket ;) Combine the lack of sound deadener and the inherent noise of the engine and it does sound like it's gonna come apart but in reality, it's in it's element and quite happy at 60-65.

Just use some dynamat on the firewall and enjoy the car. 55, 60 or 65 it's up to you.

Folks,

Some of you have cautioned me about taking my 47 on the freeway and some of you have said...what the heck just do it. I took her two exits, she did indeed get loud as heck but I kept her at 55 - 60. No steering problem, no wobbling, no control issues. Should I consider myself lucky and try for 65? That AND I did this on California's first freeway. The historic Arroyo Seco Parkway. Ironically, here is a picture of the EXACT southbound direction I was headed before the last Pasadena exit.

CHS-49245?v=hr

FG.

Is there a current picture of this spot available???

I purchased mine from a rodding a 53 Suburban with a HEMI / Automatic from a Dodge Ram PU. Brought it home, swapped it with the stock 48 three speed, wired it up and drove it. I even run the 6V Solenoid and Govenor on my 12V system. Had a couple of minor issues with the wiring but that was my fault. Other than correcting the wiring issue and making sure it was full of lubricant I have done nothing to the OD transmission. The OD has been in the car for about 2 years and is a daily driver.

Throw it in there and give it a shot. Not that difficult a swap, so if it needs rebuilding you could swap it, test it, and have your standard 3 speed back in the car in one solid day.

I agree with Ed, try it. It isn't that hard to put it in. At least you can go ahead and get the wiring done and see what you have. Then you can diagnose if there is anything wrong with it and what you need to look for when you take it apart. When I bought mine it was said to have been rebuilt, but something must have been missed cause it wouldn't go forward or backwards with the OD cable in. So tore it down and found the problem and fixed it. I learned a lot about this transmission and could probably fix most anything that goes wrong with it now myself.