3rd gear jumping out again

I am still looking for the reason why the 3rd gear jumps out.
Is there anything I need to be aware of when I unscrew the gearshift balls and springs to check them?
Will oil leak out or is the spring so strong that it will jump towards me?
Thanks Olaf

Olaf,

Bleib Ruhig Dude. I will try to send you the Booklet in written form. (Key: Loosen the nut on the Steering Linkage and return the Shift lever to neutral) follow the instructions on pages 18,19,20, and 21, and you will probably be OK.

Tom

Yes, messing with the transmission would be way down my list of possible remedies. Proper shifting is very dependent on trans and motor mount rigidity/alignment and shift linkage adjustment. The linkage adjustment is very sensitive and the slightest mis-adjustment can cause all sorts of misbehavior. I would verify mounts condition and shifter adjustment before turning to troubleshooting the transmission.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

The car was completely restored and not moved much afterwards. All rubber parts are new.
My experience is that new parts are not of the same quality as the originals.
I have often experienced that engine or gearbox mounts were broken again very quickly.
So I will soon take the car on the car lift and check the mounts 

Olaf,

It doesn't seem to want to load. One other thought, if your Transmission Mounting Rubber is shot and pancaked flat your Linkage adjustment wouldn't work.

I wouldn't open a transmission until I sorted out all other options. The Service Manual walks you through a series of trouble shooting prior to removal of a Transmission.

I also had an upshift problem with my Fluid Drive earlier this year. Thinking it was the interrupter switch on my transmission. I removed it and massaged fresh oil into it. Re-installed it, checked my Tranny Fluid Level which was 1 Pint Low added oil to the Tranny and it was fixed - so I caution you to try all that you can before trying something drastic.

Viel Gluck!

Tom

Ich Komme aus North Carolina.

9 minutes ago, Pearsebln said:

The car was completely restored and not moved much afterwards. All rubber parts are new.
My experience is that new parts are not of the same quality as the originals.
I have often experienced that engine or gearbox mounts were broken again very quickly.
So I will soon take the car on the car lift and check the mounts 

Knowing this, I would also check that the engine to clutch housing (Bellhouse) and housing to transmission bolts are all tight. If they have come loose, it could allow the transmission to sag, putting the input shaft (responsible for 3rd gear) in misalignment with the sliding gear.

Here are a few pages from the factory pamphlet on Transmission Fundamentals that talk about jumping out of gear:

20240521_102341.jpg.893f107766dacc0cb79a0f2f5fc71efb.jpg

20240521_102350.jpg.c28538472b31704bead6e5698ec9afae.jpg

20240521_102409.jpg.26b2fc5fc5e71c4693daa1f849fd3d90.jpg20240521_102428.jpg.9af17422bb8cc3f9dde474acd81d0d95.jpg

let me know if these are too blurry

• Like 1

Mine used to jump out of gear when going down a hill because there was so much dirt caked around the linkages.  They weren't fully engaging, and it became too much under the load.

Mine has no linkage. Floor shifter that goes directly into top of transmission. I believe mine pops out of gear when going down hill due to the worn synchromesh gear. 

• Like 1

Worn syncro's will cause them to pop out of gear when you let off the throttle or remove torque.

Back in the old days the circle track racers often had a wire hook on the dash to catch the shifter and hold it in 2nd gear.

The short tracks they typically put it in 2nd gear and left it. Go roaring up the straight and just when you might want 3rd your into the corner and backing off.

Really tough on syncros and not unusual to pop out of gear ..... just when your going into the corner and need both hands to maneuver the controlled slide on the dirt track.

Sooo, could just strap it down in 3rd gear and pretend your a race car?

Have no fear, I was just trying to be humorous and back up @keithb7 opinion on the syncro's ..... With any luck @mlozier76 suggestion with dirty linkage ...

Keith has rebuilt his transmission and is familiar with who sells parts for them ..... shipping to Germany is on you though.

I would not say it is hopeless though.

I used to have an old Opel wagon that would pop out of third if you didn't hold it.  I used to shift from 2nd to 4th most of the time but lot's of times I needed third.

I see good new old stock original Mopar synchromesh gears (Mopar called them a clutch gears) on E-bay. If nobody will ship to Germany, I'll help out in buying one.  I have shipped Mopar parts to Germany before.

Edited by keithb7

Often, it's not the snchros themselves.  It is the spring and ball and detent that locate the shift rod and keep it there!

It isn't that bad rebuilding these transmissions.  I found most the parts I need on Ebay and I've collected a few other sources that I'm happy to pass on.

• Like 2

I cannot find my streamliner catalog to give you a part number, but the spare spring i have measures 

.423 inch (10.75mm) diameter 

2.020 (51.32) free length, ground square ends.

.056 (1.42) wire thickness

Spring rate is fairly low, I will try to remember to test it again at work.

I couldnt find a spare ball, i Think it was .375 (9.5) diameter. 

Both transmissions I tore down, the detent balls were half stuck in the case by gunk. It may be some work to get them out. I found one set of mine to have no real wear, so reused them. The other set had no wear, but were rusty. You may be able to just remove them, clean the bores that they ride in thoroughly, and reinstall. Maybe they are just not able to seat well.

You also could probably find small but thick washers to shim the springs a little.

Edited by FarmerJon

18 hours ago, Pearsebln said:

Hello Tired Iron,
Yes that would help me if I knew the spring and the size of the ball.
Can I order them on ebay ?
Do you have a link?

What Farmerjon said!

These pieces, balls springs, needle rollers, often called smalls, are not typically ebay items.  More often they come in a rebuild kit from a transmission company.  I have good luck with Border Parts, 619-461-0075, in California as they sell tranny internal parts for lots of models of older American transmissions.  Google will be your friend here to source this stuff.  Ebay is good for shafts and gears.As Farmerjon said, you might be lucky and be able to get by with just messing with the springs, cleaning and perhaps shimming...and you can do thus without dropping the tranny.