1938 Mopar Gauge Clusters

lemondana

Until the early 1930s it was common practice for the instruments to be in the center of the dashboard. 1934 was the first year that Plymouth had the gauges in front of the driver.

That doesn’t explain why they reverted in 1938.

But there was a pretty big export market for Plymouth with lots going to the UK or Commonwealth countries and having the instruments centered might have been a cost saving measure as one less thing that needed to be swapped for right hand drive.

My car is a 1937 Plymouth and the instruments are in front of the driver. Oddly enough the Plymouth was exported to the UK as the Chrysler Wimbledon and the instruments were moved to the R.H. side or as I often refer to it over here in England, The Wrong Side.

I notice that my Desoto dash has the instrument cluster the same size and shape as the glovebox door.  I've seen photos of a RHD DeSoto.  Shazam!   Clever! 

Photos?  I'm just to lazy for now. 

There was really no U.S. standardization for driver position until the 1940's or so.  Joe Citizen could order a car with right-hand drive if he wanted, still can.  There are a couple U.S. Postal Service contractors up here that have "civilian" right hand drive Jeeps.  That and the export market already mentioned, so car companies designed their cars for minimum cost and manufacturing effort to go between right and left hand drive, easiest way to do that was to put the instruments in the middle so those didn't have to be changed, another was to make that instrument package so it could easily transfer from left to right.  There is still no statute requiring cars in the U.S. to be left hand drive.     

It is a bit of a challenge to drive a RHD car in a LHD world especially at intersections angle to the road you about to enter and lane changes.  Good mirrors are a MUST and finding a left hand convex mirror styled to match a right hand can be challenge if you looking for more than just a peep mirror with a small head.  On my little British van the box is slightly wider than the cab, a small round mirror even on a curved neck is not adequate.  I thought driving a RHD and shifting let handed via floor shifter also may be a tad cumbersome, was not however thankfully.   Looking back, I would likely change any RHD to LHD in any future builds.  An added safety feature is the reverse camera with an over ride switch to check you six at will.    Center mounted cluster is not an issue in either LHD or RHD, other than rear visibility in some scenarios...and maybe the embarrassment of being seen getting into the wrong door....has not been much getting used to driving RHD

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

When we moved to England in 97 I had no problems in driving a RHD car with manual transmission. My biggest problem was looking in the Rear View Mirror. I had to consciously look to the Left instead of quickly glancing to the right.

When I bought our 37 Plymouth (LHD) I had no problems. It felt natural but then why wouldn't it I had 30 years training driving in America before we moved. Parallel parking is a problem unless you park on the RH side of the road. Turning left is a problem since you do not have as much field of vision in the RH drivers side as you do in the Left.

All in all it is not a problem and people should not shy away from an opposing steering side you are not use to.

Mine is a '38. Gauges not central on dash but as others above state, the design of the dash lets the clusters be mounted on either side, depending whether left or right hand drive. The firewall is also a bit like this. Not completely symmetrical but it is stamped to allow the right or left hand drive steering column to be accommodated. The chassis, bell housing etc are also adaptable to both drive versions too. Smart design I say. imagejpeg_2(10).jpg.d15da3b8cd683dd655f22ddb51a48cd8.jpg

imagejpeg_2 (11).jpg

Edited by sidevalvepete

Obviously an import but looks very much like my 37 Plymouth

dash1.png

The 39-47 trucks are very much setup to be easily converted to RHD. The instruments and glove box swap. The cab has provisions for the steering column to move and the frame has the mounts for the box.