Braided ground strap

Jim G

What are the advantages/disadvantages to using one of those flat braided ground straps?

I have a 1949 Fargo one ton that still has the 6 volt system.

My Dad was a garage mechanic starting in the 1930s, and he never liked those straps, he always got rid of them, and he's no longer around to ask why.

once the snow is gone one of the first things I'm going to do in my long list of things to do to get the Fargo to fire is replace the battery cables, they are in very poor shape and even with a topped up battery it turns over a bit too slow.

Thankyou in advance

Maybe with positive ground he felt there were more issues?

Most likely tho it’s because very shortly in winter and salt they began to green and look bad.  A battery cable is shielded of course, and looks a little nicer, but should be fairly heavy 

braided ground straps last a lot longer if coated with oil seepage, spilled diesel and regular coatings of dust...the long-lasting ones I've seen on heavy equipment are filthy, which displaces moisture and air, eliminating the possibility of corrosion.

• Like 2

Braided straps have a much lower resistance that other styles and are usually more flexible. You can cover the  ends and use plastic dip products to prevent any corrosion, at a slight lose in flexibility. Typically they are used to strap the engine to the frame, not as a battery cable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lostviking said:

Typically they are used to strap the engine to the frame, not as a battery cable.

Except on old (70's) Grey Market Kubota tractors,

all I have seen, use braided ground cables....

691516431_48Battery-blackedoutdontlikeseeingthelabelthroughthefrontgrill.JPG.594f68b9276a92b3f6da935bed726d43.JPG