Oil line routing and unknown

Becuzican

Hi,

Have been working to get this engine (D30) reconditioned and hit a small wall.  Have a connection on the engine block that I can't  find any info on.  It looks like an oil line connection but no idea where the other end connects.  Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Rich

20161007_155209_1475874443890.jpg

Pardon the hijack but will that type of freeze plug work on the flathead block?  I was under the impression that the concave plugs are to be installed and expanded into the groove in the water jacket hole by striking the concave apex with a rounded object, like those found on a ball pein hammer...and a sealant is best applied to the groove first...I am not sure how the cupped plugs will seat on the flathead holes B)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Per your picture the flow would be in at the bottom and out at the top. Per the manual picture I posted above the flow is in the top and out the bottom.

Do you think I should swap them.  I left the tubing in place when I took it off and that is where they lined up.  I know you know tons more than me about this.  Anyone else that has similar verify.  Leaning towards  Don...

Edited by Becuzican

2 hours ago, Becuzican said:

Re: freeze plugs.  Don't know either but about to find out.  Couldn't  readily find the correct type and the genius at O'Reilly said they should work.  They installed as expected (difficulty) so was willing to give them a go.

I'd swap those out for the correct expansion/core/welch/freeze plugs: Since the lip of the ones you installed is outside the bore of the hole it seems unlikely that it will be secure for long.

I know that most years have unpressurized cooling systems but I did have a time when an improperly installed plug popped out when I was accelerating down a freeway on ramp when the engine was cold and the thermostat was still closed. Apparently the water pump, when spun at high RPM can put some pressure in the block when the outlet to the radiator is closed off.

By my records, the “expansion plugs” are a pretty standard: http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group18#18-CS Maybe they can’t find them in their computer or will have to order them from a warehouse, but any auto supply should be able to get them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Becuzican said:

Re: freeze plugs.  Don't know either but about to find out.  Couldn't  readily find the correct type and the genius at O'Reilly said they should work.  They installed as expected (difficulty) so was willing to give them a go.

Napa had them in stock for mine, listed online under "expansion plug"

• Like 1

I thought I read somewhere on here that the inlet and outlet on these filters was somewhat dependent on the brand of filter base used.  If so, perhaps knowing who made the filter canister would help.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Yes, my filter is plumbed the same way as pictured here. The upper port is clearly stamped OUT. 

Yes the canisters that use the "sock type" element are definitely plumbed this way. They also have an internal pressure relief valve that needs to be in working order if the element clogs up.

Jeff