Garage Time

greg g

Yes Greg, I believe I did. I found a couple of bad spark plugs, one missing the electrode. I also found some tight valves. After a static, cold, valve adjustment and a new set of spark plugs it runs good again. I think I may also have a bad vacuum advance but forgot to test it that day. I had intended to but after my quick test drive the garage door opener failed. It closed when I left but wouldn't open upon my return. After messing with that for a while I forgot about testing the vacuum advance and parked the truck in it's new location. I'll get to it some time this winter.

The garage door opener was replaced under Home Warranty, as we had just purchased the home a month ago. The crew that swapped it out was nervous about doing it with my truck in the garage, even though it wasn't in the way, but I wasn't there to move it out and Michelle doesn't know the tricks for driving it. They covered it with blankets and all was fine.

Merle

Thanks.  It is a remarkably unblemished example.  The original owner took real good care of her. This is about the same time of year, 12 years ago ,when it came home from the paint shop.  It is holding up quite well.  The first photos I ever posted to this site were of her shortly after I drove her home.

Ed is driving to his car to storage as I type this....am sure more are doing the same..

I am making plans to get my car out of storage. . .

We completed the sale our old house in October and the car is now in the garage of a friend near the old house. We have just entered into a 30 day escrow for our new house so after that closes and we get the keys (and get our furniture out of storage) I can get the car and do the approximately 500 mile drive to the new house.

I am still driving mine and plan to continue as long as the weather and road conditions allow. After the first serious snowfall and sanding/chemicals on the road, then I will put them away. I drive them on cool and even cold days, weather permitting, as they have working heaters. They live in heated garages and are easy to start. I usually have an old car out every day and plan to continue for as long as I can. We have had a great old car driving year for our part of the world, Alberta in western Canada. Nice spring, hot summer, and an extended Indian summer. I encourage everyone to drive their old car for as long as they can before "putting them to sleep" for the winter. Lots of time to not drive them when you are in the old folks home or dead. :P

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_0335_zpspqxe16ht.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2

Regarding nap time. I put fuel stabilizer in the d24 today, still trying to decide on what brand to use for the ethanol problem for the winter. Planning the big brake upgrade this winter so I don't think I have to worry much about driving it. Right now trying to up grade my shop lights. Any ideas on LED lights. (super expensive to purchase.) I need all the help I can get to see.

The guys that put your babies to sleep for the winter, how can you cope with that. I mean you won't be driving them for a while and knowing they are just sitting not far, don't you just get the urge to go drive them. I love driving my '40 Plymouth. I find any and every excuse to take her out and drive. There is nothing like the feel of driving these classic beauties. At least for me. That is why I am dying to get my '38 Chrysler on the road. It kills me seeing her sit on the lift and not be able to drive her. I mean modern cars are nice with all their features, but it is nice just to drive a car that has the basics. Just drive and enjoy!!!

The guys that put your babies to sleep for the winter, how can you cope with that. I mean you won't be driving them for a while and knowing they are just sitting not far, don't you just get the urge to go drive them. I love driving my '40 Plymouth. I find any and every excuse to take her out and drive. There is nothing like the feel of driving these classic beauties. At least for me. That is why I am dying to get my '38 Chrysler on the road. It kills me seeing her sit on the lift and not be able to drive her. I mean modern cars are nice with all their features, but it is nice just to drive a car that has the basics. Just drive and enjoy!!!

Winter is "Tinker Time". I get my Ol' Dodge fix by firing up the heater in the garage and tinkering on maintenance and service projects that I dream up while driving it during the summer.

Merle

• Like 2