New here with questions?

Guest Dumprat

I don't get too hung up on horsepower numbers, most of the time power to weight ratio equals happiness. 1000 Hp in something that weighs 50 ton isn't as much fun as 100 Hp in something that weighs a few hundred pounds. It's already been said but the reason for building the flatty is cool factor plus sound. The usual mods seem to fit the bill well, dual exhaust more carbs etc. I've seen a few inlines on the web running turbo or blowers but I'm not sure the power gained is worth as much as the wow factor for doing such. An old time drag racer once told me "there's no replacement for displacement" A '34 ford with a dodge flathead six in it is something I've never seen before and would definitely drop a few jaws and be cool. The 34 can't be too heavy, with better exhaust and intake some dress up parts a T5 transmission swap and some skinny bias plys you're all set to smoke the tires and look cool doing it. I notice that you're just north of here, is it a 23" or 25" block? Here's a pic of mine right now more for show than go.

post-2834-0-59688200-1444957379_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-62507200-1444957819_thumb.jpg

Edited by 40plyrod
  • Like 1

Guest Dumprat

I am actually sorry I asked this question. It has turned into a drama fest for a bunch of what I assume are old farts prattling along at 45mph.

For a site that gets advertised as dodge/ply flatty experts you all don't stray from stock and the rebuild manual much. Too bad really.

Dumprat........some of us do.........lol.......and whats wrong with being old & farting?........lol...........don't worry too much about the odd tooing & froing that goes on here..its all good........lol.........regards from downunder.......Andy Douglas

post-612-0-00032600-1444977312_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-98779000-1444977331_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-59750500-1444977373_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38565100-1444977406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andydodge

I am actually sorry I asked this question. It has turned into a drama fest for a bunch of what I assume are old farts prattling along at 45mph.

For a site that gets advertised as dodge/ply flatty experts you all don't stray from stock and the rebuild manual much. Too bad really.

Not sure why you think that. You got multiple shots of multiple carbs and other mods. Now explain why if you're after performance you're using the smallest possible flathead??

Dumprat, on 16 Oct 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

For a site that gets advertised as dodge/ply flatty experts you all don't stray from stock and the rebuild manual much. Too bad really

ok..I can see your frustration in not finding a hornets nest of radical engine building going on here.  It would be great as a new member, fresh blood, new ideas for you to show the forum your adventurous side and you building skills..why not kick off your membership here and document the very build you seem to be seeking....one does not always have to follow in another person's footsteps as an experienced builder.  Your build could well be a very like and much followed thread..

• Like 1

Hey fellow Canuck hang in there, ther are a number of members very interested in Flathead Mopar performance, me being one of them.

Although it's not a  real hotrodder site like the HAMB, there are some real knowledgeable and decent Guys on here who can help you out.

Don't let a few Boo Birds chase you away, as many others especially Tim Kingsbury,Tim Keith and a number of others share a common interest with you.

Now your 201, is it a Canadian Engine? if so, the rods and crank from a 250 or 265, will give you a lot more displacement, if is a 23 inch, then get a 230 crank and rods, to give you boost that way. These are all only suggestions, and you may very well want to stay with the 201.

I have read your threads on the HAMB, enjoyed them, and look forward to your progress.

We have also had 1 post from a "FHRacer", I have asked him for more info and pics, nothing so far, maybe he is a Phantom of Flathead High perf, sure hope he joins the quest on here for more more from the Flathead 6 engine.....

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far
  • Like 2

Guest Dumprat

The 201 is what I am putting in the truck to get it running and move it around the yard. I have a 23" 230 engine as well. I have a few ideas for parts for it. Finding a lighter piston with a short coated skirt and three rings is first on the list.

• Like 1

The 201 is what I am putting in the truck to get it running and move it around the yard. I have a 23" 230 engine as well. I have a few ideas for parts for it. Finding a lighter piston with a short coated skirt and three rings is first on the list.

Oh okay, sounds like a good plan, seems to me there are a lot more 23 inch engines in the BC area, must be the close proximity to the Seattle area.

Anyway, best of luck with your build, and will be looking toward your progress.....

• Like 1

Dumprat, on 16 Oct 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:Dumprat, on 16 Oct 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:Dumprat, on 16 Oct 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:Dumprat, on 16 Oct 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

that very information was handed to you but you chose to discount it completely....I told you of the only flathead mopar that I know of running said piston...am certain thee are others but if so they not mentioning it on this forum..might be proprietary info others may not want to let be know publically as it would cut into their profits...many would find this very enlighten even if they have no intentions to build..knowing it has been done is good background info for the 'If I ever build" folks

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

You won't find a set of pistons like that, you have them made.  About a dozen years ago when I built my 230 I found that the block was a worn out 0.060" over motor.  We figured that it would clean up with another 0.010" bore, so we started looking for a ring set.  Found a Toyota metric set that came out as a 0.072" overbore, then sent a ring set and a stock piston to Venolia.  They sent back a gorgeous set of forged pistons set up for the Toyota ring set.  We then built a honing plate and installed it, then bored and honed the block for the new pistons.  It's been running just fine ever since.

Marty

• Like 1

Geez what are you looking for reliable runner, with a bit of fun, screamer with monthly rebuilds, bragging rights, back yard experiment gone bad?? A built 201 will run like a stock 218, a built 218 will run like a 230, and a built 230 will, well you get the idea,  I have a 56 230 that is 30 over with .050 milling work, stock cam, dual carters on a fenton intake and single exhaust. My chassis dyno slip says 127 HP at the rear wheels at 3280 rpm. which says 65 mph on the speedo. It has 4.11 rear and keeps up with traffic fairly nicely thank you, but could use an OD for the 500 + plus mile trips we take in it just about every summer. And it does this at about 19 miles per gallon of regular.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Geez what are you looking for reliable runner, with a bit of fun, screamer with monthly rebuilds, bragging rights, back yard experiment gone bad?? A built 201 will run like a stock 218, a built 218 will run like a 230, and a built 230 will, well you get the idea,  I have a 56 230 that is 30 over with .050 milling work, stock cam, dual carters on a fenton intake and single exhaust. My chassis dyno slip says 127 HP at the rear wheels at 3280 rpm. which says 65 mph on the speedo. It has 4.11 rear and keeps up with traffic fairly nicely thank you, but could use an OD for the 500 + plus mile trips we take in it just about every summer. And it does this at about 19 miles per gallon of regular.

yes Greg think you faired quite well with your build, seems you have plenty of power to go.

I know in my case, have a 228 or 250 in my Fargo, not 100 % sure which, as never pulled the head plug to confirm, usually for 1955 with this engine number it should be a 250, but could be a 228, HP aint much different.

Having said all this, just came back from a drive, around town, no issues but on busy highways, geting going from a dead stop, with 3.23 gears can be challenging to about 35 mph. 

This engine, although has good oil pressure, reasonable compression numbers, is most likely tired, under induced and exhausted.

Driving once in a while isn't bad with light traffic, but for heavy traffic areas, and hills, this would not be so fun after a while.

Trouble is in my case, at 50 mph, turning 1900-2000 RPM, then when I floor it, with the 3.23 gears it won't spin up too fast, it will get to 60-65 no problem, but slowly. Downshifting at 40-50 mph is out of the question in my opinion.

To sum things up, a 3.23 rear diff, is not the best, a 3.55 to 3.73 would be better.

Anyway, have a 318/904 on my garage floor, just sayin, you never know BTW how is that Stude truck and V8 combo?..... PS my engine does not like to wind up too high, over 2500 rpm it does not like so much, never revved it over 3000

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

stude still sits in the garage. but it has a 3.7 rear with a pretty low first gear in the GM 700r4 so should be good at bothe ends for geting started and cruise withthe the OD. Unfortunately I am up against a couple items I just can't get motivated on and have started a project to get a bug eye Austin Healey up and running.  Just a few things left on that.  But weather closing in making it likely to be put off till spring.

stude still sits in the garage. but it has a 3.7 rear with a pretty low first gear in the GM 700r4 so should be good at bothe ends for geting started and cruise withthe the OD. Unfortunately I am up against a couple items I just can't get motivated on and have started a project to get a bug eye Austin Healey up and running.  Just a few things left on that.  But weather closing in making it likely to be put off till spring.

I hear some of those Austin Healey 6s can really go. 

yes Greg think you faired quite well with your build, seems you have plenty of power to go.

I know in my case, have a 228 or 250 in my Fargo, not 100 % sure which, as never pulled the head plug to confirm, usually for 1955 with this engine number it should be a 250, but could be a 228, HP aint much different.

Having said all this, just came back from a drive, around town, no issues but on busy highways, geting going from a dead stop, with 3.23 gears can be challenging to about 35 mph. 

This engine, although has good oil pressure, reasonable compression numbers, is most likely tired, under induced and exhausted.

Driving once in a while isn't bad with light traffic, but for heavy traffic areas, and hills, this would not be so fun after a while.

Trouble is in my case, at 50 mph, turning 1900-2000 RPM, then when I floor it, with the 3.23 gears it won't spin up too fast, it will get to 60-65 no problem, but slowly. Downshifting at 40-50 mph is out of the question in my opinion.

To sum things up, a 3.23 rear diff, is not the best, a 3.55 to 3.73 would be better.

Anyway, have a 318/904 on my garage floor, just sayin, you never know BTW how is that Stude truck and V8 combo?..... PS my engine does not like to wind up too high, over 2500 rpm it does not like so much, never revved it over 3000

Almost feel like I am "Hijacking" this thread sorry to the OP on this front.

Yesterday it dawned on me, that I was carrying about 7 huge grain bags of wheat, about 500-600 lbs, my spare, my wooden army barrack box and 2 caravan rims, most likely around 700-800 lbs or so.

I removed ll the grain bags, and rims, advanced the timing a bit, and voila, much better highway acceleration. Truck cruises easily at 60-65 mph at 2400-2550 rpm.

This is not neck snapping by no account, but improved for now, could understand how a hopped up 265, with 50-75 more hp, could warm things up.

Getting those extra HPs, is not overly cheap, especially at the moment if I buy anything from the US (dollar cdn/us exchange).

I will be totally candid, have a nice 1974 LA 318 engine, and 904 trans, with a Holley 2bbl, and would have dual exhaust, regular electronic ignition, and smog devices are gone. This engine with said change would most likely yield about 175-180 hp.

No it is not as coool as a hopped up flattie, but another deadnuts reliable Ma Mopar power plant, plus I like the 904 trans.