Turn Signal Wiring

rfcr

Okay, I give up. I have this 1946 P-15 Deluxe that came with Truck Lite turn signals that were not connected I have searched the net, Truck Lite site and this site with no luck.

The turn signal unit has 6 wires, Black, Blue, Green, Orange, Red and White. My dilemma is what wire goes to what? There is a 2 prong flasher (Tridon 552, with a X and L markers).  Thanks, RFCR

Well, the red should be a hot wire, then you should be able to use a checker light and find which other wires light up when the switch is on. When the switch is to the left, the two wires that light up will go to the rear and the front left blinkers, etc. Then I would imagine there would be a hazard wire going to the hazard switch. That's what  I would try, at least. Hope it helps!

flasher x is power in, L is load  The six wire should wire up like a 7 wire minus the third prong on the flasher which operated the repeater on the dash.   The complication comes where you have the outboard lights wired for brakes along with the center stop. I am not sure how that wires up as you don't want the center light flashing with signals on.  Check this out to see if it makes any sense.

http://www.taillightking.com/images/A5007R%20Wiring.jpg

• Like 1

flasher x is power in, L is load  The six wire should wire up like a 7 wire minus the third prong on the flasher which operated the repeater on the dash.   The complication comes where you have the outboard lights wired for brakes along with the center stop. I am not sure how that wires up as you don't want the center light flashing with signals on.  Check this out to see if it makes any sense.

http://www.taillightking.com/images/A5007R%20Wiring.jpg

Pay attention to this guy- he really knows his stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

My '47 Windsor only had 3 wires to the turn signal switch . I did not pay any attention where they came from when I ripped them out. Installed a 440/727 but want to keep it looking original as possible. I bought a Ron Francis "kit" so it didn't matter. Sorry.

The wiring diagram for my 47 DeSoto shows the left turn as green and the right turn as brown.  This is the opposite of the modern convention - brown, left;  green,right.  My turn signal came from a donor car some years ago, so it is vintage wiring, green for left and brown for right.  Just to confuse everyone.   

Well it's been about 3 weeks and here is the latest. I checked the blinker switch and figured out the wiring and when I hook everything up without a flasher the lights work as designed. The left and right front and back work, light up, then when I install the second flasher I purchased from AB, the first one fell part so they sent another, nothing works. I checked the ground and I got spark that blew the in line fuse. Maybe I'm missing something I don't know. I appear to be rambling on so if anyone can explain this to a frustrated novice I would be grateful. Oh ya, I printed out the http://www.taillight...007R Wiring.jpg diagram and followed it so let's not go down that road again.

you checked what ground???  How many terminals on the flasher?  The flasher is simply an intermittent switch.  If the circuits work when powered independently they should work when the power in is passed through the flasher.  The only deal there is there needs to be enough resistance through the bulbs to heat up the bimetalic strip in the flasher to make it operate.  The reason most flashers don't blink when one bulb is out is because that single bulb's resistance is missing and the strip doesn't heat enough to break the connection.

Greg G,

All four lights work when I use the directional switch, left front and back, right front and back. I can't get them to blink. It appears all blubs are working so in laymens terms WHAT DO I CHECK and HOW. Heres an idea, whata buy a car?

Power for the turn lights will come thru the ignition switch and flasher unit to the turn switch. When the turn switch is moved for turning it will connect this power to the proper lights. Sounds like you have turned the ignition switch on and moved the turn switch lever to check lights and they worked but did not flash. To me that is the way you test the flashing unit to see if power gets to the lights and if they flash. I would think that with a two terminal flasher that it would not make any difference which terminals the wires were connect to. I would think that the flasher is the correct voltage for the car.

If he is sending modern 6v flashers they are junk. I went through about 6 between my truck and car and neither would last the summer. I am now running old used flashers I grabbed at the salvage yard. Both have been working for years.

• Like 1

Young Ed,

I have been thinking about the same thing. I plan to go to the local pick a part tomorrow and see if they any. I plan the grab as many as I can find. I checked NAPA on line and found a 535 6 volt flasher, do you have any experience with these?

As mentioned new flashers are complete Chinese garbage.

Good used factory OE are the way to go.

• Like 1

Hi.   I know turn signals are confusing and a pain where you sit down.

Yes........what the others said about flashers.   I have had similar experiences where one flasher is not

very good, but the next one is fine.

Can you contact the manufacturer since you seem to know who they are........and see if they will simply

send you a wiring instruction sheet?     Or have you tried looking on the internet by putting in the name

of the turn signal..............."Brand X turn signal wiring diagram" for a search.........    

Thanks to you all for the info. I have found that the PO used a separate 12V battery to power the turn signals with four separate lights mounted on the bumpers. My question now is the turn signal switch in the car a 12v system only or can it be used with the 6v positive ground system. I have install 6v duel filament blubs, running and brake lights work and the turn signals are wired into the tail light side. I plan to try and find a used 6v flasher from the local pick a part tomorrow.

Unusual to have the 6 and 12volt set up on the same car. If you have a 12 volt turn light system then you need a 12 volt flasher unit not a 6 volt. Are you saying that you have the 12 volt turn lights wires going both to tail lights and the bumper turn lights? It would have more straight forward to have used 6 volts for the entire system.

Edited by suntennis