Turn Signal Wiring

rfcr

Sounds like the previous owner, for some reason, either did not know how to make the system work with stuff on the car......or

he simply  thought his separate system was easier.   I once had a CB radio in a 47 Plymouth coupe that was still 6 volt.....the

radio was 12 volt, so I put a 12 volt battery in the trunk and wired the radio to it direct.  Worked just fine.    Simply had to re-charge

the battery from time to time.  

On my  car.....I have double filament 6 v bulbs in the tail lights for flashers.......but on the front I unhooked my parking lights

from the system, and now just use them as turn signals only needing a single filament bulb.  You really don't use your

parking lights much - at least I don't.   

Also on mine -- for some reason that little indicator light on the turn signal unit does not seem to blink when signal is engaged

for a turn.    So I made a holder and used two small red lights mounted under the dash as an indicator.  They hook in at/near the

flasher.      

Sounds like the previous owner, for some reason, either did not know how to make the system work with stuff on the car......or

he simply  thought his separate system was easier.   I once had a CB radio in a 47 Plymouth coupe that was still 6 volt.....the

radio was 12 volt, so I put a 12 volt battery in the trunk and wired the radio to it direct.  Worked just fine.    Simply had to re-charge

the battery from time to time.  

On my  car.....I have double filament 6 v bulbs in the tail lights for flashers.......but on the front I unhooked my parking lights

from the system, and now just use them as turn signals only needing a single filament bulb.  You really don't use your

parking lights much - at least I don't.   

Also on mine -- for some reason that little indicator light on the turn signal unit does not seem to blink when signal is engaged

for a turn.    So I made a holder and used two small red lights mounted under the dash as an indicator.  They hook in at/near the

flasher.      

I had that at first and it was a ground issue for the signal unit.

hts Thanks Ed.   That's something I can check.  Otherwise, it blinks the light just fine.  But I still need to make the

tail lights brighter to be better seen.

Oh........I just remembered........I think I have a set of the 6 volt LED tail lights made by

Technostalgia.   At the time I called them, they had recently stopped making the 6 V

model due to low sales.......so they made me up a set at that time.  Guess I need to

go out to the garage and rummage around for those lights since I'm currently in a

mood to work with the car.  I think they sent wiring instructions.  

Edited by BobT-47P15

I bought a 535 flasher at NAPA today and the blinkers work great. I do have some lighting problems. All the lights work properly individually but when I try the headlights and the blinkers the work as 4 way flashers so I have some more work with the wiring. Anybody going to Charlotte Sept. 24-27 for the auto fair?

Evening All,

I'm having problems with the lighting. When I hook up the brake lights and blinkers, everything works but when I hook up the running lights the blinkers the center light and the two other 2 lights all flash even the license plate light. When I hook up the blinkers and the running lights everything works fine and when I hook up the running lights and brake lights everything works fine. I have followed the wiring diagram in the book and what I can find on the net with no positive result. So much fun!!!!

If the license plate light is flashing with all the other lights, then the brake lights from the turn switch are connected to the run light circuit and not the brake light wiring. You mentioned that there is a wire going frm the turn light to the tail light. If this is the case, then the rear running lights must be 12 volts. The original wiring did not have a turn light setup, as a result all the brake lights are wired in series and go on at the same time. If the tail lights are to be used also as turn lights, they need to get power only from the turn switch.

Think back to the way your car was originally wired.  The outer lamps were both fed by one wire which split in the trunk to provide for left and right.  These light were single terminal single element lamps.  The center brake light was fed by a single wire from the brake light switch.  It too came through the rear of the car and connected to the center lamp up near the package shelf/trunk bulkhead.  That lamp was a single terminal single element light, but was brighter than the running lights.  At some point a previous owner changed the outer lamps to be dual terminal dual filament bulbs, One for running and one for signal/brake.  The signal light switch does either powers that birghter out board filament when the lights are selected, or it inturupts the brake light signature to that assemblies brighter bulb when you have the brakes on.  ( that is why there is a feed from the brake light switch.  The problem occurs in MOPARS where the center light is concerned.  If a previous owner also fed the outer bright elements from the brake light than all three will flash because some where there is a common feed to all of them, one not separated by the signal switch.  Was you car wired so that all three lamps lit on the bright element when the brake was applied?  If so you need to find the common connector, and replace it with the feed from the signal switch.  The easiest way to approach this is to return to the single brake light, powering it directly from the brake light switch, and to use the out board bright filaments for signals only.  The center lamp is the thing you need to deal with in this equation.  You need to figure what feeds are coming into the trunk, isolate them, and assure they are going where they are supposes to.  

To start with you had one wire that fed both outer running lamps, and one wire going to the brake lamp.  Whenever and who ever brought the wires from the signal light switch to the trunk, may have abandoned those or replaced them.  What you need now is one common wire for running light filamants, and one for right and one for left signals and brakes.  If you can separate those out and not connect the center lamps, I think you will have basic running and signals operating on each side. you can then figure out how to power the center stop lamp so it does not feed from or through the signal switch, so it does not back feed to the other lights.